Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationPBcastco
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Show us your wildcats!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Apparently I missed seeing a post!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

It's funny,

I designed that case from scratch. The idea was to make a 7mm cast-friendly AR-15 cartridge. So just short-stroking a 7mm TCU reamer was not enough, I wanted more neck support. So I made the neck longer. .15" I believe, can't remember. Anyways, just needs a 7mm neck/throat reamer in the chamber after short stroking the 7mm TCU reamer.

The dies are std 7mm TCU dies, the resizer is cut off to the right length.

Easy-peasy.

----------------

All that done from scratch, all designed around the cast bullets and jacketed seen there, and THEN I put the case next to a 300blk and saw I practically re-invented the wheel!

Oh well.

I have the test barrel for it (take off 7mm mauser barrel to be fit to a Handi rifle), but it will probably never see the light of day. I realized it was a waste when it was basically a more expensive 9mm that shot a skinnier bullet. GREAT idea if I shot more 7mm cast than I do, but my 7mm mauser never shot cast as nice as I wanted. So I abandoned everything.

-----

All for the 357-223 project. That makes much more sense. 250-300 grain 357 cal bullets are the same price as 250 grain 308 cal, with better meplat and more weight on the top end. It should be superior to 300 blk in every way within 100 yards, which is all I ever shoot with slim exception. Plus the option to save by casting (which is not an 'option' for 7mm but a 'requirement')

Anyways, if you want the barrel and neck reamer and die set and couple hundred brass and cast bullets, let me know. Just add a lathe, some time, a handi shotgun, and a 7mm TCU reamer and you are there.

Boolit Master

WR,

Shoot, I thought you had a working prototype to show!

Ive pretty much moved on from the 7mm idea, the 300 BLK is just too easy to like. If I do get serious about another AR cartridge, it will be the Max Rimless.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Mold
    Here is my 7.62x40Blackout wildcat you may have seen over on http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=149&t=95866

I did some testing in 2015 using 110/125gr bullets with 300MP. Currently working on setting up ladders for 110gr,125gr,147gr,151gr,220gr bullets using 300MP,IMR4227 and CFE BLK.

Same shoulder and headspacing as 300BLK. Neck is about .49" I shortened the Freebore length by over half at .075" and added 1/2 a thousand its diameter making it .3095"

After testing jacketed projectiles in both 16" and 9" barrels; I plan to get into cast boolit testing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	192734When 500 Whisper no longer cuts is..... 700 HBH. 4600 Ftlbs of Subsonic Muzzle Energy.... Thats a 308 case for comparison

Boolit Buddy

Name:	20170410_222440.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	194706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170410_222559.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	194707.308x39 American.

Nothing new in the wildcat realm, but here is my ode to Mr. Ackley. Basically a 7.62x39 Ackley improved for a .308 bore. A friend bought a Blackout, but was disappointed in the performance with 150's. He was casting about for a round that was friendly in the AR-15 and would put 150s out at 2400+. Seems like there are a few decent cartridges that do this, but he didn't want to be beholden to a proprietary round that cost $1.50 each, wait around for Grendel brass to get available at less than .70C each ( and then neck up and load a .20C bullet and shoot to get good brass) or trim/form/blow out the shoulder, etc. Why not improve a fairly common 7.62x39 that we can get for 50 cents a round loaded in bulk, shoot it up practicing, training, at prairie dogs, etc and load some decent hunting ammo for hogs/deer, etc with the resulting brass. In testing so far, these feed pretty well out of the mags I can get my hands on in newly californicated Colorado. (5, 10, 15 rd grendel and 5, 10 rd 7.62x39) The brass you see above, I made with a hydraulic forming die I made on the lathe since I wanted to get going but didn't have the reamer yet. Brass life should be better, great selection of bullets, we lose a little length in firing, so trimming will be deferred a while, bolt thrust should be somewhat less due to the straight case walls, we gained 3 1/2 grains water capacity, and it just looks cool. The main concern I had was an Ackley in a semi-auto. With the Ackley treatment, the bolt needs to have a little bit of crush to properly headspace. Chambered a barrel last night and it seems to function well with the original round. Now to the range to obtain some real fire-formed brass and see what this thing can do. Of course, we aren't expecting 308 Win ballistics, but it looks promising as an AR15 hunting round.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Buddy
    Got to do a little testing Monday AM with the new 24" barrel. .308 caliber with .111 port at the rifle position. We are likely going to end up with a 20" but wanted to see real numbers on the chrony, and since the blank was a 25", why not. Hopefully soon we will have apples to apples comparisons with 24, 22, 20, 18 and 16 lengths with same loads. We're thinking we might only lose maybe 10-15 fps per inch when we start cutting the barrel.

The .111 port was still a little small in the longer gas system, but it's getting there. Going slow with opening the port. We need to balance the need to cycle the factory ammo that will have lower pressures because of the chamber size and the desire not to over-gas the higher pressure reloads.

I tested a limited number of loads because there was limited time to prep and only an hour or so to shoot. RL-7 and H335 were the powders loaded for this trip. I'm not going to publish charge weights at this point, but velocities were decent without any signs of pressure and half shot 2" or better. Might be more room to work, but I need to spend a little more time with it. These were averages of three shot strings to get an idea, and I hope to be a little more deliberate for accuracy next time. I apologize for the abbreviated data, but it's what I have right now.

110 Nosler Varmageddon w/ H335 = 2635 FPS avg next to least accurate load (2-4")

150 Sierra Gameking SPBT W/ H335 = 2485 FPS avg least accurate load (3-4")

150 Sierra Gameking SPBT W/ RL-7 = 2500 FPS avg Most accurate load (.75-1.75")

165 Hornady FB SP W/ RL-7 = 2290 FPS avg Second most accurate load (1.5-1.75")
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Man
    My favorite-
    I'm doing a 444 based 30 cal now for cast boolits with Mr. Bellm. Here's the pre-fireform cases that the chamber will be cut to. With a 40* sholder of course.
    CyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-11 13.00.12.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	197380
    Destination Elk.
    Couper
    Last edited by 68 couper; 06-11-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Sp

Boolit Master

I'm thinking more and more about my 358 straightwall.

ny reason I couldn't cut it to headspace with a single point cutter on the lathe, the rent a 358 throating reamer to cut the throat and leade?

http://www.reamerrentals.com/Product...ductCode=358.t

Or am I mistaken about the function of a throating reamer?

Boolit Master
    Whiterabbit -

Howdy !

I DK how much case capacity you might want, for your notional " .358" cal " straightwall ?

A .351 Winchester SL case could be necked-up slightly, to .357" or .358" cal.
    From the specs I've read for the case, use of a .357" cal bullet would work in association
    w/ .010" case wall thickness @ the mouth.

FWIW:
    My .35 Rem cases are runnin' w/ .010 neck wall thickness, and they work just fine.

For a " .358 SL ", case wall thickness @ the mouth could run .0095".
    Perhaps not enough for your needs ?

With regards,
    357Mag

DBOD - I use 145 PB (2100 fps), 170 PB & 185 GC RD style cast in the BO, turn necks to 0.010". no problem with neck tension. Like the 30/30 you have the long neck that will keep the boolit straighter when loading. I haven't had any problems. I agree the freebore needs to be shorter for the 150ish boolits, I'd rather see CASE powder volume increased if pressure doesn't get too high. Wilson optimized for the 125 SP and admits 150 would work better with more volume and shorter freebore than BO.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357Mag View Post
    Whiterabbit -

Howdy !

I DK how much case capacity you might want, for your notional " .358" cal " straightwall ?

A .351 Winchester SL case could be necked-up slightly, to .357" or .358" cal.
    From the specs I've read for the case, use of a .357" cal bullet would work in association
    w/ .010" case wall thickness @ the mouth.

FWIW:
    My .35 Rem cases are runnin' w/ .010 neck wall thickness, and they work just fine.

For a " .358 SL ", case wall thickness @ the mouth could run .0095".
    Perhaps not enough for your needs ?

With regards,
    357Mag
    Sure, that would work!

What do you think about my post? Think i can cut the chamber with a single point cutter on the lathe then use a throating reamer to cut the throat separately? Any reason that wont work?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 68 couper View Post
    My favorite-
    I'm doing a 444 based 30 cal now for cast boolits with Mr. Bellm. Here's the pre-fireform cases that the chamber will be cut to. With a 40* sholder of course.
    CyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-11 13.00.12.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	197380
    Destination Elk.
    Couper
    .308 Bellm? http://www.bellmtcs.com/BellmTriad/308bellmdata.htm

Great shooter with the NOE 311-440 in the H&R!

Boolit Master
    I suppose I should add the ladybug here. 8 years later, same basic goal as the 22/32, different path.

The ladybug is on the far right, looking minuscule even next to the .32 S&W long and the 32-20.

Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Attachment 216194Attachment 216185Here are 5 of mine that I have rifles chambered in. These all were created by shortening a existing sizing die and sizing brass that has the right head diameter and is rimmed.
    I chose to make them rimmed because I have all of them built on H&R handi rifles with ejectors.

By shortening the die you are reducing the bottom diameter so as to match whatever brass you choose to use and not need anything custom made, the same with the seating die it just needs shortened by the same amount.
    All of the barrels that I used to make these rifles were pre chambered take off barrels that were either stubbed or turned to use as a liner barrel that was permenatley epoxied in to a shotgun barrel. By using a pre chambered barrel and shortening the breech end and recutting the rim recess you are saving needing a chamber reamer.
    I generally make the sizing die and create the cartridge first and use the dummie cartridge to determine how much of the chamber I need to cut back on the barrel then work with that length.

This is the cheap way to make a wildcat and die set for it .

The first cartridge to the left was made with a shortened 303 British die and formed on 30-30 brass. The 30-30 brass has about a .416 head diameter and I shortened the 303 die until it was just slightly larger usually about .002 then with the depriming stem removed you size the brass full length and come up with brass with a really long neck. You trim the neck back to the same length it was on the parent cartridge and that's it.
    This cartridge was my first wildcat and the idea came to me because I had a 303 Enfield rifle barrel with a good bore and a 20 ga. H&R single shot that wasn't being used.
    The first year I built it I shot mostly Hornady 123 gr. .311 bullets designed for the 7.6 X 39 and with 18.5 grs. of H 110 I got 2080 fps. safely.
    That first year I took it to Wyoming as a toy to see if I could kill a antelope doe with it and I did plus a doe Mule deer. Then later I took a whitetail doe and a friend took a nice whitetail buck and a doe with it, all were 1 shot kills between 30 to 120 yards. It's performance is similar to the 300 blk out.

The next was simply a shortened 270 Win. die and the brass was 7 X 57 R to produce a rimmed 270 as I had a free 270 Win barrel to use. This rifle has taken 7-8 antelope at ranges up to 350+ yards.

The next is a rimmed 7 mm that has the same brass length as the 7x 30 Waters but has a good bit more case capacity. It was made by shortening a 7x 64 sizing die and sizing either 30-40 Krag or 303 British brass and trimmed to 51 mm. Again I found a good 7 X 64 take off barrel for next to nothing and cut the chamber back and added the rim recess. A set of used LEE dies for $ 10 and
    that's about all it took. His cartridge would be a good choice for a Marlin 336, You would need to use FN Boolits but will fit and feed from a converted 30-30 levergun without and modifications besides the rebarrel. I have wanted to do this conversion for years but it's low on my priorities because I have a dozen other project guns waiting to be completed and I already have it in a handi.

The last was made by shortening a 340 Weatherby die to the point that the base diameter is about .500 and sizing on 45-70 brass. This is a good hunting cartridge, it is rimmed like the 33 Winchester but has the power of the 338 Federal in a length that could also be used in a Marlin 1895 or as a Ideal single shot cartridge.
    I have taken several antelope and coyotes with this. I picked up a 340 Weatherby take off barrel cheap and a set of used dies again all of these were dead simple to make on the handi rifle platform.
    I have also made a handi barrel in 8 X 50 Lebel by using a 8 X 57 take off barrel and rechambered it with a homemade D bit reamer, it is a sub MOA shooter in the first smokeless powder cartridge ever designed.

I almost forgot of another one I have, I have it in a handi rifle and also in a large frame Greener Martini that was originally a Police Gun shotgun.
    It is a 375 H&H die cut down just above the belt and formed on Starline 45- 100 brass the brass has a OAL of 2.625" , pic added.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 03-10-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    What would you guys do with a 300 Win Mag?
    Why, neck it up to .366" of course!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Now toward the Small End of the Wildcat RANGE;

1. .25 Extra short at .400" Case length from .25ACP case. 35 grain JHP bullet.
    I have fabricated one dummy but not loaded nor fired any yet.

2. .25ACP +P and +P+ loads. 60 grain JSFN Hornady #2510 resized to .250" diameter or 63 grain Lead FN ahead of 3.0 grains of BE-86 and a WSP Primer.
    50 grain JRN ahead of 3.1 grains of BE-86 and a WSP primer.
    63 Lead FN head of 1.89 grains of Bullseye and a WSP primer.

The .25ACP case.
    A Reamer designed for revolver cylinders is listed with JGS Precision as their Drawing " job_407237-25_ACP_WS.pdf" This is retroactively referred to as ".25 ACP WS#1".

3. .25 Automatic Long Rifle (.25ALR) of .960 case length.
    The .25ALR Case drawing.
    Jgs Precision has A reamer for revolver cylinders listed as " 25 ACP WS #2.pdf".

4. .25 Magnum Auto(matic Colt Pistol) (.25MACP) of 1.024" to 1.056" case length.
    .25 MACP Case drawing ( note: Case diameter maximum is .278", same as .25ACP.
    This cartridge is also listed as "6.35x26mmSR Stewart" as it is derived from 5.7x28mm Case.
    JGS precision has a Chamber reamer for Revolver Cylinders listed as
    "job_431132-25_MACP_WS_3.pdf".

5. .25 Automatic Long Stevens (.25ALS) or 6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart has a case length of 1.125".
    .25ALS case Drawing.
    JGS Precision has a Revolver Chamber reamer drawing listed as
    "job_446338-25_ALS_WS_4.pdf". My order for this reamer has been Placed.

6. .25 automatic Long Rifle Magnum (.25ALRM) or 6.35x32mmSR Stewart has a case length of 1.220"-1.260".
    This is the Longest version that can be made from 5.7x28mm parent cases by swaging the Diameter down in multiple steps or stages to .276"-.278".
    I have not planned nor ordered a Revolver Cylinder chamber reamer from JGS Precision yet; but I did buy tapered body Rifle Chamber Rough and finish reamers from PT&G under the Name ".250ALRM Stewart".
    6.35x32mmSR Stewart case drawing (Note: the case mouth and body is .276"-.278" Maximum, the as formed base is .280" Diameter.).[Img]6_35x32mmSR Dummy carts 20151008crop.jpg[/Img].

Chev. William

Boolit Master

Name:	30-223 30 Herrett AR.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	216317
    A loaded .30 HRRT (30 Herrett with a rebated rim for AR15 use) on the right with a 110gr spitzer bullet. The bullet on the left is a 30-223 Wildcat loaded with the same weight bullet for comparison. Both are loaded to fit a standard AR15 magazine.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Now toward the Small End of the Wildcat RANGE;

4. .25 Magnum Auto(matic Colt Pistol) (.25MACP) of 1.024" to 1.056" case length.
    .25 MACP Case drawing ( note: Case diameter maximum is .278", same as .25ACP.
    This cartridge is also listed as "6.35x26mmSR Stewart" as it is derived from 5.7x28mm Case.
    JGS precision has a Chamber reamer for Revolver Cylinders listed as
    "job_431132-25_MACP_WS_3.pdf".

5. .25 Automatic Long Stevens (.25ALS) or 6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart has a case length of 1.125".
    .25ALS case Drawing.
    JGS Precision has a Revolver Chamber reamer drawing listed as
    "job_446338-25_ALS_WS_4.pdf". My order for this reamer has been Placed.

Chev. William

Not sure I fully follow what you have there, are these all cases that can be formed from 5.7x28 MM case? Have any of them actually been done yet, especially numbers 4 and 5?

A rimmed straight wall 25 is very interesting to me and I even started a thread on that subject a while back, a couple of years ago or so.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Not sure I fully follow what you have there, are these all cases that can be formed from 5.7x28 MM case? Have any of them actually been done yet, especially numbers 4 and 5?

A rimmed straight wall 25 is very interesting to me and I even started a thread on that subject a while back, a couple of years ago or so.
    Chuckling, YES! they all are derived from both the 5.7x28mm case and the .22 Hornet case.
    Yes they have been Made and Fired, actually in reverse order; from longest to shortest.
    Most were originally fired in a Stevens 'Favorite' pushing 60-74 grain bullets at transonic or subsonic velocities out of difference to the 'Favorite action strengths.
    Some have been fired at Supersonic velocities in my Ruger Single Eight revolver.
    The .25ALR is about the shortest that is easy to make from either case as i run into the inside taper of the case body when loading shorter designs.

NOTE: the 5.7x28 Must be reduced in body diameter in several Swaging stages or crushed cases result. The .22 Hornet is just possible to form in one Swaging step to .276"-.278" body diameter all the way to the top of the rim.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Added 20180319:

Left to Right: .25ACP @.905" OAL; .25ALR @1.293" OAL; .25 Magnum Auto. @.1.366" OAL; .25ALS @ 1.407" OAL. All With .250" sized Hornady #2510 60 grain Jacketed Soft Flat Point Bullet.
    Note: .25ACP Case Length = .612"; .25ALR Case Length = .960"; .25 Magnum Auto. Case Length = 1.055"; .25ALS Case Length = 1.125".
    Note: .25ACP rime is .304" and 5.7x28mm rim is .307".
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-19-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast