Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataPBcastco
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your wildcats!

Boolit Master

Show us your wildcats!

I started a thread recently about a wildcat I've started to work on, and I've gotten several PM's from people interested in doing their own. I'm just beginning to walk down this path, but I know that a bunch of you guys have made up wildcat cartridges before. So, show 'em off!

Please post a photo, if you can, and tell us about what you've done, what the purpose was (if you had one) parent case, etc.

I'll start us off with the one I've been working on:

The 22/32 designed for small game hunting at ranges out to 100 yards or so, specifically with cast boolits. Made by necking .32 S&W long brass down to .22 caliber.

Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    NoZombie , have you got the 32ACP/17 wildcat worked out yet ? I can hardly wait to see that in your black rifle of choice The normal Colt thirty round magazine oughta hold , what? , fifty rounds of the little cartridges ?

Of course the one you are working on now would be great out of a miniature Vickers or Maxim

Jack

Boolit Master

Here are some....

22 SuperJet, 218 Mashburn Bee next to parent cartridge, 7x57 Ackley Improved next to parent case, 35/30-30 next to 30-30, 35x60 next to 30-06 parent case, and my current project...30/38 Spl between 38 Spl parent case and 32 H&R Mag.

I have no idea why 'cept 'cause it looked like a fun little cheap cartridge!

The 35-60 got started when a fellow on the forum was asking about the ideal PP cartridge. One thing led to another and I built a rifle for this long neck 9x57 and have been very impressed with its performance.

Some ideas with some current cartridges just because I'm a sick puppy when it comes to something different!

I also have some what I call semi-wildcats. Meaning the cartridges are in limited or non exixtant production that were originally true wildcats, like 6mm TCU, 6mm PPC. Likely I am forgetting another one or two I have built guns for, just for fun.

Edd
    Last edited by badgeredd; 12-30-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Well now you went and done it I just knew that this thread was going to get me into trouble. I sure do like the looks of the 22 Superjet and the .218 Mashburn Bee. Just happen to have a CPA 44 1/2 action collectiong dust don't know how much longer that I can stand it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rhbrink View Post
    Well now you went and done it I just knew that this thread was going to get me into trouble. I sure do like the looks of the 22 Superjet and the .218 Mashburn Bee. Just happen to have a CPA 44 1/2 action collectiong dust don't know how much longer that I can stand it.
    Let me see if I can add to your quandry. The SuperJet and the Mashburn Bee are really fun cartridges with both cast and j-words. Both are capable of fine accuracy and about 3000 fps with the right j-words. I'm currently getting 2700 fps out of cast boolits with very good accuracy.

After all, it only costs money and the fun factor is definitely worth it IMHO.

I've been working with different cast boolits in both cartridges and have found that about 50 grains has been my best choice. The BRP 46 grain does very well in both of them while the SuperJet can handle a little longer boolits fairly well due to its longer neck. I kinda feel like a crack dealer here but........oh well.

BTW, I've ruined a friend with the 7x57 ackley.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Grand Master
    No pictures right now, but I have had a few wildcats.

1. .22 K-Hornet. It worked as a cartridge, but I bought the rifle (Model 43 Winchester) as an original, AND the chamber was reamed off center.

2. 6.5-06 I built this one on a large ring 98 Mauser action with a 22" prechambered Wilson barrel, I like it, but could use a longer barrel.

3. 6.5x.257 Roberts I haven't done much with it.

4. 6mmx300WSM. I had 100 gr Hornady FLGC's at over 3600 fps, with RL22, needed slower powder. Forming brass is easier when starting from .270 WSM brass. I originally cut down a set of .243 Winchester dies until there was only one and a half threads left on the die, to use. I have since gotten a Redding .243 WSSM sizing die, still use the cut down 243 die to seat with.

5. .35 Whelen, no longer a wildcat, but I wanted one since I read an article by Jack O'Connor about the cartridge when I was about 14.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    30-357 Magnum . A case full of AR2207/H4198 boosts the CBE boolit to 1650 fps out of the 18 inch barrel of my Martini Cadet .

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input and photos Guys! Edd, You've got a PM coming in a minute about your current project... I had a thought about it.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Man, that 30-357 Martini looks like the cat's meow!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by heathydee View Post
    30-357 Magnum . A case full of AR2207/H4198 boosts the CBE boolit to 1650 fps out of the 18 inch barrel of my Martini Cadet .
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!! Neat cartridge on a unique platform. What weight boolit is that critter?

Edd

Boolit Buddy
    The boolit is nominally 150 grains but weighs closer to 160 when the gas check is fitted. I fit the gas check and size to .310 before pan lubing with a home-made beeswax/moly grease mix . Loading density is pretty close to 100% .
    The clamp-on scope mount is a bit rough . One day I will make a better one . Too many other projects .

Boolit Master
    I started out wanting to reach out and touch something far away. don't have pictures. had a 22-06, back when a 63 grain was as big as they went. have a 22 cheetah and a 22 middlestead, both on 243 cases, a 6mm-308 norma magnum, 6-06, 6-06 improved, 257 imp, 25-06 imp, had a 25 souper, 6.5-06, 6.5-06 imp. 6.5-308 norma magnum. had the 22-250 and the rockchucker before they were standardized. none of these are cast bullet rifles, but they will reach out and hurt something a long ways away. Daryl

Boolit Master
    The wildest wildcat I have is a 243 Super Rock Chucker, which s a 25-06 necked down and blown out. Its an awesome rifle, my brother killed his antelope with it at 445 yards this fall, 75gr HP at 3800FPS knocks them down hard.

I have a couple 6x45's which are 223's necked up to 243....this is a great chambering for AR15's.

My only "cast wildcat" is an AR15 in 300 whisper. 30 herrett probably doesnt count but I have one of those also.

I also just bought a 22/30-30 AI barrel for my tender.....should be a fun one to play with.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    BTW, I've ruined a friend with the 7x57 ackley.

Edd

Some fellas come pre-destined for ruinment so I do not know about all that, he was likely pre-ruined or at least a lilbit rotten. I do know that he is trying pretty hard to wear that 7X57 A.I barrel out. Good thing is that he has a good friend within driving distance that has the means and skills to refit another when he does in fact wear it out.

Banned

What would you guys do with a 300 Win Mag?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Pat:

My first move would be to throw it as far into the largest lake I could find then get a 270 WIN.

Banned

I got both so no problem...

I was thinking more along the lines of one of those Frankenstein versions above...

The illustrious .303 Pygmy:

.38-303 BPCR:

Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    What would you guys do with a 300 Win Mag?
    I have been thinking about a .35-300, the only thing holding me back is that I have developed an aversion to recoil, as I get older.

Robert

Banned

Robert,

I pretty much never shoot full house loads with any caliber. A nice accurate reduced cast load for the task is good for me.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast