Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger No. 1 Hammer Spring Tool?

Ruger No. 1 Hammer Spring Tool?

I am in desperate need of a Brownell's/Sinclair Ruger No. 1 Hammer Spring Compression Tool. Does anyone have one that they would sell or rent? Thanks!
    Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Master
    Bob have you take the spring off the guide or are you wanting to disassemble the rifle for a good cleaning?

The spring is off the guide. It wasn't intentional. I have four No. 1s and three No. 3's, so I have removed the assembly dozens of times. On this particular rifle, though, the keeper pin got tweaked between the washer and the spring and came out when I tried to straighten it. So I need to compress the assembly and reinsert the pin to get it back into the rifle.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.

P.S. 1Hawkeye ... just noticed, you might be a neighbor. I am halfway between Quantico and Manassas.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Buddy
    I had a problem something like yours , I used my press and a old die and shell holder compress the spring on the rod and inserted the pin in the rod , it doesn't take much just more pressure than i could do with my fingers.

Boolit Master
    I've had it happen before on ruger revolvers and 94 marlins.The procedure I use is this.
    Secure the end of the guide in a padded vise going straight up and using the wire cutting notch of a pair of neeldle nose pliers compress the spring down below the retaining pin hole put the retaining cap on the guide and install the retaining pin then remove the pliers. Be sure the retaining pin is centered under the retaining cap or you could launch the spring and cap. It is a little easier on heavy springs if you have a helper the put on the cap and pin it that way you can use both hands on the nose and handles of the pliers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I had a problem something like yours , I used my press and a old die and shell holder compress the spring on the rod and inserted the pin in the rod , it doesn't take much just more pressure than i could do with my fingers.
    Very similar to what I do. I use the press and place a small block of wood on the ram with a 1/4" hole in it to hold the round portion of the rod. The difference is that I use an old fork to retain the keeper and when I raise the ram and expose the hole in the strut I slip a retaining pin in.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!