Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Venturino

Mike Venturino

If you been on Cast Boolits long enough, you'll know Mike Venturino post here on occasion. I hadn't seen any new posts from Mike in quite a while and hasn't even checked in to view anything since last July. Christmas day he was here for his first look in almost 6 months, so sent him a note asking if there was a problem of some sort. He quickly got back to me indicating he's been extremely busy. I was kind of happy to hear that as he had some medical problems in the past.

He said on average he writes 70 articles a year, and attends 25 to 30 shooting matches. I know he goes to several gun shows also that takes up a whole week end.

I'm a day one reader of the Handloader, and have followed all of what he done there plus many other magazines on his list. One thing he does that I mentioned to him about is adding Yvonne's name to the header as photographer. Very few if any other gun scribes do that, and take all the credit of assembling the articles themselves.

He knows there are some folks here that aren't fans of his. but then who cares, I enjoy his easy way of telling the story line. He's very readable......Geo.
    N.R.A. Life Member

In Remembrance

I agree with you GeorgeW. I have been corresponding back and forth with Mike for awhile. He caught his medical problem just as it was taking a turn for the worst, a med procedure gone wrong. Last I heard from him he is about as close to being back at 100% as he thinks possible. Everybody has the right to dislike anybody else for their own reasons, I can`t understand why anybody would not like Mike?Robert

Glad to hear he is OK! I've always loved reading his articles.

Venturino has always been a class act. I'm glad his health is stable.

But if he is busy writing, for pete's sake don't jog his elbow.

Boolit Master

I like Mike. At least he writes about cast bullets and other things I'm interested in. And his style is very readable. I don't agree completely with everything he says, but I don't agree completely with everything anyone says either. Some days I don't even agree with what I have to say!

Hope he's doing well. The local store stopped carrying the mags he writes for so I haven't read one of his articles in at least a year.

Boolit Master

I like Mike, I have read his work for years.
    I corresponded with him for a short while. I was honoured. An Icon I respected wrote to me!
    He is a straight up guy. He answered my questions directly, no nonsense.
    To the point.
    I like Mike.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

I hadn't talked to him in a while but I know he's been very busy- writing, traveling, shooting. To us, all this gun stuff is mostly casual recreation - to him it's his living. Good to hear the positive report on his health. Yes, he's a straight up guy.

Boolit Master

You know I don't always agree with what Mike writes, but.............he always writes what he believes to be true and whether I think he's write or wrong I like that in a guy.

Bring 'em on Mikey!

Art

............If a writer could ONLY get away with writing like Elmer Keith these days *sigh*
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I remember when he was just Mike nesbitt's shooting buddy. He's been at it a long time. I hope he lasts a long time yet.

Boolit Buddy
    While I've never been into military weapons, I've always found Mike's writings to be imformative and educational. I hope I never get to senile to learn something new about reloading/ casting even if its not really weapons I own and use. Besides anyone that writes about cast boolits and the Holy Black can't be too bad now can they.

Writing like Elmer? You mean with poor grammar and atrocious spelling? Heck, half the folks here write like that, LOL!

I have never met Mike, but I also like his writing style - even when he writes about stuff that I care nothing about. After all, I write about stuff that probably bores him and most of you guys. Fair is fair.

Boolit Master
    Hmmmm , I suppose you could say Venturino is the one to blame for me getting about 90+ Marlin's in the last few years !

And his book on shooting lever action rifles didn't help to stop me from buying either !

I bought his book on shooting Buffalo Rifles as well . And thank god I had friends with Sharps and Rollingblock rifles for me to shoot so I didn't need to take off on a spending spree for those as well !

His loading data for both lever guns and buffalo rifles has been very helpfull to me over the past years !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Am in hopes of meeting Mike at the SCI convention in Reno in Jan! He is a caster, and a cast shooter, and that's good enough for me!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Like most here I like to read Mikes articles too easy to read and straight foreward. I had the pleasure to meet him at Raton several years ago, we had a very nice consversation and a very standup sort of guy in my opinoin. I hope that his health issues are improving. I'm kinda of like "theperfessor" don't know anybody that I agree with 100% of the time including myself.

Boolit Buddy
    My interests have always been for "vintage" rifles, military classics, big bore buffalo blasters, and military revolvers. Because of these passions, I've probably read every Venturino article ever published ( I said probably...). A gun writer's personality is as much a part of a story as the content itself. When reading his stuff, I just find myself liking the guy. There are few current writers of whom I am familiar (in this genre) with his charisma, as well as his knowledge. Glad he is doing well.

And Rocky.....I love your stuff too. I've learned a lot from you....THANKS!

Boolit Master

I like Mike too!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I wondered where he was. Glad he's OK. I like his writing.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Master
    MV and Brian Pierce are the reasons I get Handloader shipped to Australia.Both men write it as they see it and I like the firearms,both rifles and pistols that they write about.I have no interest in modern ''tactical'' rubbish or the lastest calibre that shoots 4000fps.I like hearing about Shrapnel too. Pat

Boolit Master

I visited with him at the Bozeman gun show.
    He said he was busy and looked healthy.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I made mention that he was doing well about a month and a half ago when I renewed my subscription to Handloader and Rifle. When I was talking to the young lady taking subscription info, I asked her if she knew anything about the writers. She seemed hesitant to answer until I told her I hadn't seen anything from Mike on this site since July. She then opened up and let me know he was doing well.

Anyway, Mike, welcome back and keep posting!

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.