Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: The .32 S&W Long as a man-stopper

Boolit Grand Master
    The above is sorta my long winded way of saying I carry something else when carrying. But if push came to hard shove I would be thankful something other than nothing were available if said 32s were all I had.

In my own testing various “original ballistics” 32 Long loads using SWC, wadcutter or RN bullets had no problem penetrating well past FBI “minimums.”

That’s a decent start.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow. I can't believe this thread is still going after 8 years.

Well, I ended up getting a Charter Arms revolver with the unfortunate model name of "Undercoverette". I picked it up because it was literally the only revolver currently listed on the California Safe Handgun roster still chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. And while it isn't an outstanding handgun, it does give me a really good platform to test .32 S&W Long loads in before using them in my older guns. While .32 S&W Long still isn't my first choice for self defense, it is still better than nothing. Either the "man stopper" rounds from Buffalo Bore, or some reasonably peppy flat- points of some sort handloaded towards the upper end of the load data. I just wish the sights on the Charter Arms revolver were better.

-Mb

Boolit Master
    Historically, the 32 S&W cartridges and guns have likely been used to stop an amazing number of robbers, assailants and killed quite a few people along the way too.

Boolit Master
    In my 'uninformed' opinion; any .32 bullet hit in the torso area would be 'distracting' to an assailant in an Altercation involving weapons. Perhaps enough to 'spoil' the assailant's aim and perhaps 'dissuade' from further attack. As a probable minimum it would give the intended victim some added time to remove themselves from the immediate area.

Chev. William

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 7000al View Post
    I am reading 8 years later up through 8 pages and am sure i will stick to the end. Fascinating discussion, and i do enjoy learning from those more wise and experienced than myself. One curious point, though, wouldn't the "hot loaded" 32 long under discussion be fundamentally a 32 H&R magnum, though in a shorter case? Thanks for sharing your experience!
    You are correct. Initial work was done in .32 S&W Long brass making essentially a +P load, but Mike Bussard at Federal Cartridge, and Jay Jarvis at Ruger both convinced Ted Rowe at H&R that it would be best to lengthen the case slightly to prevent the hotter load from being used in older pre-WW2 revolvers. This was done, and the round standardized in that configuration. Later work was done at Ruger developing heavier .32 H&R Magnum loads having a sample average pressure about 15% above the SAAMI MAP for the .32 H&R Magnum, with the intent that those .32 H&R Mag +P rounds would be more effective in the Ruger Single Six, SP101 and could also be used in the S&W J-frames. Those rounds never materialized in factory form, but the .327 was adopted instead, so, as before, the longer case could be used only in modern guns designed for it. A sound choice.

Using .32 S&W Long in the .327 is analogous to firing .38 Long Colt in a .357 Mag., the .32 H&R in the .327 compares to firing .38 Special in a .357. The increased bullet jump has some effect on accuracy, but utility for most field use is n ot impaired.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    I don't mind keeping the discussion going, but perhaps we should make a new thread, as I suspect we're losing a lot of readers by not sticking a bit more closely to the thread topic. I invite you to start a thread more to your taste and define its topic, and to announce it here.
    I'm loving it 8 years later and 10 pages in. i'm sure i will read till the end. I love to absorb the knowledge and accumulated wisdom of the older guys. So glad you guys shared!
    The first paragraph is Molly, i just haven't figured out all the angles of quoting yet.
    Last edited by 7000al; 03-17-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: addition

Agree that the Mods could lock and archive this thread. There are other threads addressing loading of the various .32 cartridges for field and recreational use, and perhaps those could be merged. I would like to see a new sticky combining all of the " .32 Popgun" threads.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    If you include information on .32 Rimfire and the Later activity to make replacements for the RF cartridges, either as Adapter Cases OR conversions to Center Fire; such as .32 Extra Short RF, .32 Short RF, .32 Long RF, .32 Extra Long RF, and the .32 Colt Family of CF cartridges and 'Wildcat conversions'.

The Total pages will exceed 30 and may Be actually Higher.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-13-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    If you include information on .32 Rimfire adn the Later activity to make replacements for the RF cartridges, either as Adapter Cases OR conversions to Center Fire; such as .32 Extra Short RF, .32 Short RF, .32 Long RF, .32 Extra Long RF, and teh .32 Colt Family of CF cartridges and 'Wildcat conversions'.

The Total pages will exceed 30 and may Be actually Higher.

Chev. William
    That would support an e-Book!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I like this thread and enjoy reading it, and re-reading it. Kind of hope it continues. At any rate in the last two weeks, I have won three auctions for S&W revolvers in .32 long. One model 30 with a 4 inch barrel, another model 30 with 3 inch barrel, and an older .32 4-1/4 inch Hand Ejector. Can't wait to get my hands on them. That should make fifteen .32's in the safe...

You've solved the .32 Caliber Riddle of the Sphinx! 15 guns @ 6 shots = 90 shots. I'll wager that your 90 rounds will stop any Bad Guy made of flesh and blood.

Kidding aside, congrats on the newest acquisitions!

Quote Originally Posted by jrayborn View Post
    I like this thread and enjoy reading it, and re-reading it. Kind of hope it continues. At any rate in the last two weeks, I have won three auctions for S&W revolvers in .32 long. One model 30 with a 4 inch barrel, another model 30 with 3 inch barrel, and an older .32 4-1/4 inch Hand Ejector. Can't wait to get my hands on them. That should make fifteen .32's in the safe...

Boolit Grand Master
    I had gotten the point of ignoring this thread. Those who really know how the 32 can be used don’t need convincing, and those who won’t really take a look can’t be convinced. I wonder whether a perp would feel honored to be stopped with one or more shots from a high dollar K-32?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have no problem carrying a 32 of any variety for protection. They have been used for more than 100 years . It matters more how you handle the gun than what gun you handle you can't make up for poor gun handling with a bigger caliber. The 32 sw long is one i feel comfortable. I also have an old 32 sw ( the short one) snub nose that i carry quite often as well as a cz 32acp. I absolutely love 32's they are as close to the perfect caliber as you can get. I know a lot of people don't think of a 32 as a carry gun but many a person has been laid low by them they were used in 2 world wars and countless other conflicts all over the world. And are still being used today.

I'm with Red Bear, but I do think we are a shrinking minority. Which is ok, leaves more .32's for the rest of us. Grin

Boolit Master

I may have mentioned this already, but I have old gun books that list the .32 Long in a S&W Model 31 as a "police pistol" and that was 1971. It carries an extra round over the Model 36 (.38).

I have a few and never felt "undergunned" by carrying them in social settings.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7FD5B60-6EF4-4319-97BF-F749234642D3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	243364

This one is very accurate. Hammer was bobbed when I got it. I cleaned the cut up a little and scrubbed out the action and installed an Xtra Power Wolff mainspring, but that’s about it. I put the cheesy franzite grips on it too. The old wooden ones were pulling the screw through. (It's a Model 31)
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I had an uncle who retired as a deputy sheriff and he carried a 32 long his whole career. I have a little 32 sw top break with 2 inch barrel that is one of my favorite carry guns. Here's a tid bit that really surprised me when i found out. The 32 sw operates at a higher chamber pressure than the 32 sw long. I was very surprised by this. The little 32sw is no joke even if it is the mildest of the 32's.

Boolit Master
    29 pages and Still going!

A Revolver That can handle .327 Fed. Mag. Loads is also capable handling any of the .32ACP/S&W family of cartridges and handle them if loaded 'hot'.

A Ruger .32H&R Single Six is good for any of the Above also, PLUS if reworked to allow use of replacement cylinders of configurations like .22Magnum RF but bored out to .32 sizes, the Whole family of .32 Colt diameter family of cartridges are also available to 'play' with.
    Want a 'quiet' plinker or close quarters varmint gun? Try out a CF conversion of a .32 Extra Short RF size cartridge.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Master

Here is my little 32 long. 1974 is the mfg date. It;s an H&R, The pic is from a review i did on the boolits.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8049.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	243586
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I kinda like long threads like this as it keeps everything in one place... I started a thread on .41s and the Moderator was nice enough to make it a sticky...and it just keeps growing....

What .32s need is some cheap ammo priced like 9mms...that would increase their popularity... I once got a Ruger SP-101 cheap because the customer ahead of me turned the gun down after he found out there was only one load available for it in the store and the price of the ammo was more than he wanted to spend...

Bob

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast