Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: good cheap lube?

Boolit Buddy
    thanks fry!!!! been awhile since ive seen ya.. hope alls well bro!!

Boolit Buddy
    went to the range and shot 75 rounds in 15 min, it was fun, but I shoulda worn a glove because all that shooting rubbed the skin off my trigger finger..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Who saves money by casting their own boolits around here?

Someone promised me over thirty years ago that I'd save money by reloading, too.

I save money
    I save money
    I save money
    I save money.....

Well, after I bought all of my molds, dies, lubrisizers, top punches, lubes, gas checks, arbor presses, freechex II. lead pots, smelting articles. powders, primers, presses, load books, scales, trimmers, etc. etc. etc.
    and painfully, wheel weights...

I have enough stuff to keep me marginally busy so I can almost stay out of gun shops and away from Graf's and midway for a little while...

And who is gonna believe that?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I wanted to post some pics of what the gun looks like after shooting, you can also see the blood from my trigger finger, yes i will be buying a shooting glove..lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08591.jpg   DSC08594.jpg   DSC08597.jpg   DSC08598.jpg   DSC08599.jpg  

DSC08600.jpg   DSC08603.jpg   DSC08605.jpg   DSC08606.jpg   DSC08609.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    some more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08611.jpg   DSC08612.jpg   DSC08614.jpg   DSC08616.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    im thinking about starting a thread on my ruger and linking to this thread, I cant get the front of my cylinder to look pretty and shinny, what do I need to do to get it shinny again?

Boolit Buddy
    progression of the cleaning, first couple were dry patched, then i used nitro for a couple more nitro couple more then patched a few more till patch comes out clean..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08622.jpg   DSC08623.jpg   DSC08624.jpg   DSC08625.jpg   DSC08626.jpg  

DSC08627.jpg   DSC08628.jpg   DSC08629.jpg   DSC08630.jpg   DSC08631.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Man that hurts when they draw blood! Handgun in the avatar can do that, if I load it too fast. Have had that experience.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

owwww ur supposed to stop before u get so much blood lolz a shooting glove mite also help
    but those boolits are thumpers ( on both ends ) i cant really tell from the fotos but a tip ? when taking pix of the bore a plain white rag or piece of paper behind the barrel ( resting on the recoil shield ) will allow more light into the barrel and give a brighter bore picture , sadly on a revolver one cant take a foto of the throat end and a mirror would be rather hard to get light in it and hold it all still , but it doesnt look heavily leaded up ( a good thing ) as for cleaning ... the front of the cylinder mite always be stained but gumount carb cleaner and a lil elbow grease removes alot , they used to make a product called tombstone comp treatment ( or something similar ) that when applied to those cracks and crevices did help keep some of the fouling from sticking so bad but i havent seen it marketed in quite some time , glad ya had fun amigo !

Boolit Grand Master

Meanwhile, back at the ranch!!!!!! For years I used equal parts of beeswax and vasoline with about 2 teaspoons of graphite. Sturred it when it was hot to keep the graphite suspended. It worked very well. When I could afford commercial, I bought commercial, think I tried all of it. Now I use Lars White Lable, Canuba Red. Can't make my own as cheap as he sells it. Feel I am getting low when I am close to only 10 sticks, and reorder.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    ok well I saw no heavy leading from what I can tell just looked like carbon fouling, and I made a lil over 2 pound batch, I wonder how many boolits thatll do.
    from the pics of the patches is that bout what most people shooting lube grooved boolits get?
    I have been using 10.65gr bluedot with my 310gr, I am thinking of bumping that up to 11.5gr or 12gr..

actually according to the lee second edition they list 10.7 as max with a 310 grain lead boolit ( 9.7 to start , page # 652 btw ) herc 2400 offers a lil better velocity ( according to lee anyways ) i havent checked lyman's or alliant's data ) [shrugz]

Boolit Buddy
    its a redhawk itll b ok....lol... im gonna work up slow, I dont know though id hate to have the cylinder blow out id cry a lil..lol===alot

Boolit Grand Master
    Why push things? Max is max. Period.
    If you want more speed get a slower powder. A little over max can get you into REAL pressure fast.
    As for parches, can't say. Don't clean mine very often. It is hard to say without being able to see the breech end of the barrel. Hold it up to a light and look for lead streaks. If you have lead, you will know. Look along the edge of the lands and for a ring of lead in the barrel where the frame ends. These are prime areas for lead to get deposited.

Boolit Buddy
    sucks it soooo cold out, i have been casting in a basement, hope i dont die..lol

Banned

max is max for what, SAA pressures or Plus P pressures?

I shoot that same boolit with a drilled-out gc shank so it's a plain base in my New Vaquero with 10.5 grains of BD, no pressure signs but absolutely as hot as I'll go as it's probably at or just over max pressure for an SAA -style gun. The redhawk is good for far more pressure if you're careful, there's lots of good, published data for +P or "Ruger only " loads for the .45 colt and heavy boolits.

Gear

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmomaha View Post
    ok so update time, lol
    I will be ordering some white label but I casted some of the new bullets up tonight and being impatient I tried some home made lube, tomorrow i will try it in the gun, hmmm do you think a couple bullets will be enough to show leading signs?
    ok heres the mix,

1lb pariffin
    13oz vasoline
    4oz alox
    3 heaping tbsp johnsons paste wax
    1/4 bar shreded ivory soap

I will need to strain it,
    That looks like a pretty dang good recipe for pan-lubing medium/low-velocity rounds, and who knows? Might be the cat's meow for higher-velocities as well.

One hint: Grind that ivory soap up into as much of a powder form as you can before adding it to your mix. Also, 1/4 of a bar is a LOT--way more than you probably need.

P.S. use some Scotchbrite pads with a little Hoppes or Shooters Choice (or solvent of your choice) to clean the end of your cylinder. You can also use some 0000 steel wool, but I like the Scotchbrite pads better. Just cut off a piece about the size of a cleaning patch, soak it, and you'll get the crud and carbon off easy and quick.
    Last edited by Recluse; 01-01-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Edited to add a cleaning tip

Boolit Buddy

Bullshop

Speed green. Nuff said.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gear, I was just saying that for a new reloader going over max published data is not a good idea. Now if he is using data published somewhere for this powder/bullet com be I'm ok with it.
    I just hate to see a newbie allowed to go down a road that can have disasterous consequences. I'm just a safety first kind of guy.
    the Redhawk is plenty strong but I don't want to see him go down the " awwwwww, it can take anything" road.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I just hate to see a newbie allowed to go down a road that can have disasterous consequences. I'm just a safety first kind of guy.
    the Redhawk is plenty strong but I don't want to see him go down the " awwwwww, it can take anything" road.
    Good point and I agree 100%.

Ruger guns are plenty strong, but likewise, I've also seen plenty of them blown up BECAUSE people thought they were "plenty strong."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast