RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: good cheap lube?

Boolit Buddy
    yeah im not in a hurry to push the velocity, so Im going to wait and do more researching before getting stupid.. Im more suprised that i didnt get omg your casting in your basement responses, but hey for years plumbers spent most of thier careers in a room with molten lead and there are still lead water pipes supplying water for people that arent droping dead..lol.. and yes I am a newbie to revovlers but I have been casting awhile and reloading for rifles and semiauto pistols for a few years longer, so I "hopefully" wont make to many newbie mistakes "anymore"..lol..

are you kidding ? i mean just looking at lead or even knowing that it exist is detrimental to ones health according to most tree hugging i want to run your life because i know better for you type environmentalist , why should we care where you cast at ? of course we hope that you follow safe procedures and proper protocol but ....what you do with that information is up to you lolz i've seen a few threads with foto's or ingenious type ventilation systems , btw ? did you know that more humans are exposed to lead by lead paint than by lead boolits ? who'd of thought .... gee i even remember using whitewash ( aka white lead paint type stuff ) when i was a kid , but as for lead water pipes ..usually only on the sewer side ( nope i dont use the water on that side ) and i've only found one type of lead that stunk worse than so may pounds of ye olde lead water pipes and that was lead pulled off of old sheet rock used in old x-ray rooms - bet you'd never smelt that in your house a second time , even in the middle ages they knew that lead could be detrimental to ones health hence the use of pewter for things and the hallmarks on said pewter

Banned

You didn't get the omg for casting in your basement because most of us here know that "lead fumes" don't exist at casting temperatures. Smoke from fluxing/reducing can get noxious fast wtihout adequate ventilation, though.

Btroj, you're certainly right to want to make sure safety is first and warnings are always better posted than not. I wasn't trying to be a bonehead, but it struck me that what JL posted were certainly way safe for the gun he was using so no worries from me as long as he doesn't put 'em in a SAA and make it a hand grenade!

Gear

Banned

Rats, J., Ya beat me to the post!

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Heck, I cast in my garage with the door closed. I worry more about the smell from my fluxing than I do from lead. I bet the dust and specks of lead on the floor are more of a hazard than the "fumes".
    I did not assume you would do anything stupid but hey, in this day and age?
    And why did you shoot 75 rounds in 15 minutes? Really? Man, pace yourself. On the other hand, I give you credit for going and shooting. Only way to learn. Did you see any lead streaks down the barrel? When my super red hawk leads it is pretty obvious.

Boolit Buddy
    it looked good after the shooting, and i didnt wanna pay more then i needed to so i figured id shoot fast and save money..lol

Boolit Buddy
    off topic alittle.. hell this threads been all over the place anyway..lol.. any of you guys know a good priced lead boolit maker?, ive looked through the vendor section, but apparently im a moron and cant find ****, I just want to buy some lead boolits and try them in diff weights and cals before i invest in any more molds..

Thanks guys

Boolit Buddy
    wow "c r a p" is a bad word lol

ummm "stuff" works tolerably well as a replacement , it also paints a prettier picture :P as for premades ... i believe the bullshop makes a few i'm sure that there are more , another thought to try would be in this forum
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...splay.php?f=49

Boolit Buddy
    urgh dont know if its the lube, the johnsons pastewax i melted down, lead or what but I feel like c r ap massive headache and a lil nausous, urgh...

Boolit Grand Master
    The paste wax will five off lots of volatiles. I hope you did it outdoors or at least with good ventilation. That stuff is probably way more hazardous to heat with poor ventilation than lead is.
    Please be careful, there aren't many new cast shooters out there and we hate to lose any.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmomaha View Post
    urgh dont know if its the lube, the johnsons pastewax i melted down, lead or what but I feel like c r ap massive headache and a lil nausous, urgh...
    Same thing happened to me last night. My headache didn't go away until around 1300 today.

Boolit Buddy
    im better now.. thank u for your concerns.. again this threads been all over soooo.. i having precision machining education have been contemplating converting my lee 6 boolit molds to HPs cramer style, it really wouldnt be that hard to do at all. ive actually thought about buying a mini or small lathe to dedicate to doing them, it would give an excuse to get it and i could hp my molds, and friends... ok rant done..lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234