RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Carnauba and alox

Boolit Master

Carnauba and alox

I got to play around with a lube mix today. I put a few carnauba flakes in a round bottom pan top of hot plate, melted enough to lightly cover about 50 bullets..Then i added some Lee liquid alox. I then flipped the bullets around until they were all covered good. Place on wax paper until dry... This mix seemed to dry good overnight or sooner. I didn't stay up all night with a timer.

I liked this mix compared to straight Alox because it seemed to dry harder without the sticky feel. Also no smoke from the straight Carnauba wax flakes as compared to JPW. Very low cost lube, no smoke from the petro in the JPW
    I used this on some 45-200 gr cast for the 45 acp.

I don't know the limits of this mix in rifle or high performance pistol boolits. I myself prefer a tougher lube for more high performance rounds. For a quick, inexpensive lube on your 45 acp and other less demanding rounds it is the cats meow.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds good. I really like making lube (I know I might be able to buy better lube, but that's not the point.) Experimenting and sharing the results, good or bad, is great. A little bit of dis, a little bit of dat...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

To most or you fellows that mix is Old news. I mentioned it for the newbies. I wish i would have known about it when i first started pouring my own silver stream. I choked a bunch of mosquitoes with too much Alox many times.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I liked this mix compared to straight Alox because it seemed to dry harder without the sticky feel. Also no smoke from the straight Carnauba wax flakes as compared to JPW. Very low cost lube, no smoke from the petro in the JPW
    Interesting Randy....

I have pondered using Carnauba flakes ever sense the 45/45/10 JPW/LLA has been discussed.

I would like to incorporate the Carnauba flakes and LLA into a 'blend' that can be applied once similar to the 45/45/10. Have you tried making a lube this way? Do the LLA and Carnauba seem to blend together applied in separate steps as you have done?

Thanks, Eutectic

Boolit Master

Ever since I first saw the 45-45-10 mix, I've been looking for some JPW. No soap! Today, I found something called KIT wax, noticed it was carnauba wax. Will this work mixed with LLA? I bought it, so I guess I will try it. Is JPW carnauba wax?

Boolit Master

The Carnauba and Alox( 50% mineral spirits) mixes just fine. It leaves your boolits looking like a 22 factory round. It can be tough to tell they are even lubed. One thing about this lube- It's cheap as heck and saves time. I used to use JPW but the dang cans are over $5 and they are full of petroleum products- (smoke when melting). The Alox by itself is just too sticky.

I have used it on 30-30 boolits 180 gr GC over 26 to 28 grs of 30-31 with no leading...Very clean barrel. Like I said, I have no idea what the limits are with this.

Don't try Carnauba by itself, the stuff will flake off, you have to include something with it to make it stick to the lead.

I think it is a good lube when time is valuable and when your lubing a low demand round. It takes me about 5 minutes to lube 200 boolits.

Boolit Master
    If you were to mix it 45/45/10 like Recluse lube would the carnuba stay in suspension at room temp or would it solidify in the mix?

Funny you should post this now. I was fixin to send you a PM here shortly about ordering some beeswax and carnuba.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    If you were to mix it 45/45/10 like Recluse lube would the carnuba stay in suspension at room temp or would it solidify in the mix?

Funny you should post this now. I was fixin to send you a PM here shortly about ordering some beeswax and carnuba.
    Well, It is the same thing if you mix it right. That's where i respect the guys that make lube..They know what they are doing and I don't compete against them.
    Where I come in is the fellow that wants to make his own lube and doesn't want to buy 50 lbs of this and that.
    Carnauba wax is an ingredient of JPW, without all the additives, so your paying only for the ingredient that you need. It doesn't take many flakes and a doble of Alox to coat a bunch of boolits. You can play with the amount to thin Alox with mineral spirits.
    Short on time,not a tinkerer, just not sure, no interest, BUY YOUR LUBE form our very own pros that make the best boolit lube in the world, right here on CAST BOOLITS