Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY check maker book

Boolit Master

Thanks for sharing. A+
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Don't know what went wrong with the check maker a friend (machinist) tried making in .308 for me with this plan, however, the check stays stuck on the end of the punch rod. I had to take it apart and pry the check off which destroys it in the process. I don't have the tool so I can't give any measurements if asked any specifics.

Anybody got any ideas what may have gone wrong? My machinist said he made it to spec. but has since given up. I'm not machinist oriented and no help at all on this subject. Any suggestions I may pass along to him? Sure would hate him to give up on this if a simple modification may fix the problem.

I am using Yonkers 0.017 aluminum coil material.

Hate to have to buy one as I am not well off and other priorities take precedent. If someone has an extra at a decent price, I may be interested as I really hate to have to keep buying Hornady copper checks for my .308 Tikka and M/N rifles.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

I will suggest polishing the forming punch. It probably has some light surface machining marks. It may also require a slight taper to release easily.I made my own design and have used quite thick aluminum gutter which extruded a bit making a slightly longer than normal check. They tended to stick some so I put alight coat of WD40 on the material which helped. Polishing and adding a slight taper solved it.You can do this using a hand drill by chucking the punch in the drill then fine emery cloth of 600 grit held against a flat piece of metal, stroking the end of the punch as it rotates. If polishing doesn't do it then angle the metal/emery a bit to work the punch end more to add a SLIGHT taper. You do not need a lot and do not want the inside of the check at the base too small.If the friend that made it can do the polishing/tapering in a lathe that would be even better.My suggestions anyway.Longbow

Thanks Longbow, I will try to use the 600 grit w/drill. I just need to get it back first.

Slim

Boolit Master
    I wish I could do this on my mill. These are great plans, and very detailed. Thank you for sharing your skills in developing these tools.

After polishing well put a mirror finish on it with buffing wheel and rouge. The checks will slip right off.

FrankG,

Thanks for the comment, I will try it once I get it back.

Slim

I did some 600 grit sanding and then polished.
    Finally, I got some checks to fall that are usable, however, I can tell more polishing is in order.
    Thanks guys for all the comments and support. No more copper checks for me to buy.

Slim

Try some thinner material,.017 seems thick.
    Mr. Bill2

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill2 View Post
    Try some thinner material,.017 seems thick.
    I used what the math told me to. I believe the Hornady copper checks are 0.017 best I could measure.

Slim

What is the best way to cut the slot in the main body? Y'know, the one that you feed the aluminum check through. I've heard some say to use a hacksaw but does that make a clean enough cut? Or does it even matter if the cut is a bit rough? What else would work, cutoff wheel, metal chopsaw, bandsaw?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Here's the download link. Thanks for taking the time Ed to put this together for all us DIYers here!

Attention: Click on the Download link to the left, not on the advertisement. (Unscrupulous advertisers may call their advertisement "Download" in an attempt to get you to click on it.)

Check-Maker1&2.pdf
    md5sum: 0d734875607822d30f0609dfa38172f7

Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if the link ever goes down.
    I downloaded the book and quickly read the first 5 pages: it looks wonderful! But I especially like the lively and humorous way it is written. I do hope that "Ed" is very much still "alive and kicking" five years after the original post: I would like to thank him for the knowledge and for being such a super person, even though I never had the pleasure and honour to meet him personally. My hat off to you, Sir!
    Polo

Boolit Buddy
    The red circle option is not available - just the main loader with all the bloat-ware.

Boolit Master

Be very careful. I clicked on the so called correct link and am now infected with malware. I suspect the entire site is now infected. Am trying to clean things up with a Fixme Stick but not having much effect. Looks like it is going to have to go into the shop to have it removed.
    The malware is named Palikan.
    Facta non verba

The best way I found is to use a dremel cut off wheel. If you make yourself a jig,even out of wood, to hold dremel and check maker it will make it that much easier.

Never had problem with malware from the download.

Quote Originally Posted by Metroxfi View Post
    What is the best way to cut the slot in the main body? Y'know, the one that you feed the aluminum check through. I've heard some say to use a hacksaw but does that make a clean enough cut? Or does it even matter if the cut is a bit rough? What else would work, cutoff wheel, metal chopsaw, bandsaw?

I'll email the PDF to anyone who wants it. It is just over 8 mb

In Remembrance

I have been hosting a few files for the SWAGING section of the forum, and can also host this PDF file for those who want a clean copy.
    No virii on my hosting site:

Ed Smith's Book in PDF format

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

I have been hosting a few files for the SWAGING section of the forum, and can also host this PDF file for those who want a clean copy.

It's 8 megs, but should download fast. This is the original book that Ed created. When I lived in Maine, I once visited Ed's home, and he gave me a printed and bound copy. This is the pdf version of the book he gave me. The download is safe, nothing will attack you.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post

It's 8 megs, but should download fast. This is the original book that Ed created. When I lived in Maine, I once visited Ed's home, and he gave me a printed and bound copy. This is the pdf version of the book he gave me. The download is safe, nothing will attack you.
    Thank you very much!
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Duke

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast