MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Bp .303

Banned

Bp .303

so any data for this i was thinking a cast bullet
    lee bullet C312-185-1R

As much 3Fg as you can get into the case. Drop tube and compression. You still won't get the 70gr in that the British did. I would be inclined to duplex with a 'kicker' of smokeless to help a cleaner burn.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Just playing last winter with my Martini Henery carbine, I tried a case ful compressed and a 311-284 on top, the only one I can get to work in this rifle with smokeless, every thing sprayed some even hit the target, and they keyholed.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Just playing last winter with my Martini Henery carbine, I tried a case ful compressed and a 311-284 on top, the only one I can get to work in this rifle with smokeless, every thing sprayed some even hit the target, and they keyholed.
    the twist is not right for bp

check the twist rate i bet it has the same as a lee enfield

Boolit Buddy
    Twist doen't have anything to do with it - fouling all the more... And Enfield rifling is pretty deep, wwhich aggravates things.

Boolit Buddy
    The only way I have been able to get BP to work in 303 Enfield barell is to youse a duplex load and BP lube other wise it fouls out very quickly

Boolit Master
    If the bullet is too soft a fast twist can strip the bullet, depositing lead in the grooves, and the bullet not getting full benefit from the rifling.

I don't think FFFG would be suited to a full power load. Best to check on the type of powder used for factory loads of BP cartridges in the same general class such as .32-40. Those cartridges required a slower twist of about 1:16 for best accuracy.

Using too fine a grain of BP causes excess pressure with no benefit in velocity over a coarser grain.

The BP load for the original .303 cartridge was a compressed cylindrical pellet with a hole through the center. This regulated the burning rate much like a solid rocket motor. The pellet burned from the inside out, providing a longer steady push rather than the hard jolt of a charge of granules. Also compressing the charge into a cylinder was the only way to get that heavy a charge into the case. The charge was put in before the neck and shoulder of the case was formed.

I'd suggest using the hardest lead based alloy you can get, or casting Kirksite Zinc alloy bullets. Kirksite weighs 60% as much as the same volume of lead, so a mold that throws a 200 gr lead bullet would throw a 120 gr kirksite bullet.

Such zinc alloy bullets are as tough as FMJ bullets, and the Army used these to test armor plating because performance was more consistent.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Probably the biggest problem is throat erosion from Cordite ammo. I have this problem in both a #1 and a ME. I got a mold out of Australia from CBE which is way oversize and 235gr. I haven't tried it with BP or in the ME yet but the #1 that turned everything sideways is approaching 2MOA with the few loads that I have tried so far.
    I think that a duplex load in the smaller calibers would almost be mandatory for fouling control.
    If you would like to try a few of these CBE boolits drop me a PM and I'll send a few over.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Your rifle also won't have Metford rifling. Round bottoms and tops, like a roller-coaster. Cordite burned it out quick, so they switched to the square Enfield rifling.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded black powder in a 303 and found that it fouls really fast with lead bullets. I imagine that duplex loads may control the fouling. Straight black powder works just fine with jacketed bullets though. I once loaded a hundred rounds using Jacketed 312 dia bullets in an enfield and fired them all off without a bit of trouble. There was virtually no fouling in the bore and cleanup was easier than with smokeless. Velocity was way down though as I had to raise the sight to 500 yards to get on at 100 yards.