Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: .32 S&W Load ?

Boolit Grand Master

.32 S&W Load ?

I know that at some time in the past I had a good load for the old standby Ideal 3118 (now Lyman 311008) for the .32 S&W Long, but I can't seem to find any recommendations for that heavy a bullet. Does anybody have a pet load for this they can share. I will be using it in a relatively new S&W M-30 (steel J-frame.)

TIA ~ Froggie

Boolit Master

Froggie,

Lots of good info in the archives on the 32 S&W Long. You will surely get the following to post some help. I expect Beagle and (.3x62Al to be along.

Here is a little reading to get things started

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ght=s%26W+long

I am currently shooting a S&W 3rd model HE. It likes 2.3 bullseye under the 3118.

In Remebrance

2.0 gr BE is good place to start, 3.0 gr Unique, SR 7625 can be used too. I've also used Red Dot. Got most of my loads from Lyman, NRA, various magazines. Check "Pet Loads" too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, guys. From your responses, I now feel safe to assume that the 3118 is not too heavy for the .32 S&W long... that was a little worrisome to me. Jeremy, what diameter do you size to?

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I size 311008 to .313 for use in my Colt and S&W revolvers. 2.8 grains of ZIP is my pet load and turns slightly over 8oo fps. A slightly snortier load is 5.5 grains of 2400. The 2400 load is the most accurate load that I tested in six different revolvers and the ZIP load was #2. 2.4 grains of 231 works well in the S&W Hand Ejector that preceded the Molel 31. Do not use these loads in any Tip-up reevolvers. Enjoy!! Neil

Boolit Master

Froggie,

I size to 314. I used the same load in a Colt Police Positive also. When i used it in a 320-20 of a friends we had to size to 312. It was also used at 312 in a 30-30 and 30-40. Very versatile little cast boolit.

NodakJak,

I also used 2.5 gr 231 under this slug. It is a snappy load, shot well, and did not show excess pressure. I have a box left that I use for carry loads in the HE. I like the BE load as I use the same load for a couple other cartridges and then I don't have to reset the powder measure! And I just happen to have 1 full and 1 open 4lb can of the stuff.
    Last edited by scrapcan; 12-21-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    For the 3118 in 32 long, I've used 1.8 grains of Tightgroup to good effect. For a lot of things that Bullseye is recommended for, I tend to use Tightgroup instead, I find that it generally burns cleaner in my guns, and it likes a crimp, but I don't have to crimp as hard as I do with Bullseye to get the same consistency.

I tried the Ramshot Zip in the 32 long, and found that it was terribly inconsistent at my loading level. I was getting variations of 100+/- FPS and huge amounts of unburnt powder. After that I shelved the Zip for quite a while before trying it again. The next go-around, I tried 2.5 grains under the 3118 and used a heavy crimp, and got better results, and far less unburnt powder. I still prefer the Tightgroup load, it's more accurate and consistent in my guns, and still burns cleaner.

I wouldn't recommend any of these loads in a top break. They should be okay in any of the hand ejectors made after 1915 or so. (not all of the guns made before that where proofed for smokeless.)
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!