WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: ruger 30-30

ruger 30-30

guess my education is still not complete yet. i never knew that ruger ever chambered their #1 in 30-30 winchester. yet ive found one for sale and thought id post here to hear about others thoughts/history with this chambering in the awsome number one single shot.

thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    GREAT caliber, and can be quite accurate in a well-made rifle. Such a platform suggests itself as a remake for the 303 Savage and its 190 grain boolit. The 30-30 case in that strong action should provide sufficient strength to meet 303 Savage ballistics (about 2100 FPS).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

and while im on the "didnt know" thing...[ yep i been over lookin at guns for sale at my fav spot] . i also found a winchester bprc [moruko manufacture] 50/90 . now it didnt say whether it was winchester or sharps...one is 2.500 long [sharps] the winchester is 2.400 long. i havnt read about these here and wonder if there is someplace a person could get long--ish boolit moulds for this 50cal that will bore-ride similiar to the rcbs 45-500 boolit only in 50 cal.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Check out the molds on the Buffalo Arms website. I knew some guys shooting the 650gr Saeco in their 50-90s and 50-110s. It makes for quite a thumper with even a compressed charge of BP.

As for the #1 in 30-30, I wasn't aware.

Boolit Grand Master
    Check out Ranger Rick or Bullshop for your bore rider boolits.

Trusting my memory here. The only Ruger No 1 in 30-30 I ever read about was a custom barreled rifle owned by Jack Slack of Leupold.
    "He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
    Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life
    PRPA, Annual member

Boolit Master

Not too many, but they are out there. I got one a little over a month ago. Rody's gun shop just down the road from the Ruger plant in Newport, NH. Henry went down and picked it up for me. At that time I think only about 20 had been made in 30-30. Have not had much time to play with it yet.

Lipseys has a run of 30-30 ruger # 1's out for sale now.Win 1885's are discounted quite a bit now also.I've seen some 45-70 sporters going for a lot less than what I had to pay for mine.I can't complain since mine is a real tackdriver with whatever boolit I've shot out of it,I think they all will shoot well.The Miruko guns are more complicated in design but are good quality and you don't have to worry about the hammer slipping.They are a lot less than the Browning ones and are pretty much the same gun.One could save themselves at least a couple hundred bucks over what they usually sell for.I put a leupold 3x9 on mine with burris mounts and sig rings and it looks and shoots real well.I guess not everybody likes SS rifles as much as in the past,I've read that some think it's because mostly the older hunters are the only ones that appreciate them now.

I too have seen only two #1s in .30-30, and lusted for both.
    Shoot more 30-30s than anything these days, and would relish a good single shot, other than Contender or NEF.

Yes, Ruger is making both the 30-30 Win., and .303 British caliber in the No.1 A right now. The .303 is a catalog item, and the 30-30 I have only seen at Lipsey's. In the past, a few 30-30's were made for special folks, and I believe that Ed Harris had one made for him when he worked there.

Boolit Grand Master

I would like one of each in a long stocking by the fireplace along with one chambered for 444 with a long throat for 350-400 gr. cast. Wishfull thinking I know, but it doesn't cost anything to wish!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

thanks all...i just never heard of a #1 in 30-30 win. guess im smarter now. got a chance to buy a ruger in this cal but also found a win 85 in 30-30 as well but neither are cheap so we will see.