Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dupont No. 1 Smokeless

Early DuPont Powder Guide

Does anyone have a date for this publication?

Here is some SR80 information
    Attachment 238789

Boolit Grand Master

Jack, "A Du Pont booklet published in 1903 gave the loading in the table to follow" I copied this from Complete Reloading Guide page 41 and is the same #2 data listed above.
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Jack, "A Du Pont booklet published in 1903 gave the loading in the table to follow" I copied this from Complete Reloading Guide page 41 and is the same #2 data listed above.
    Thanks,

I have acquired a few load table pamphlets and am looking for one for Dupont #2. The above will certainly do for now! I have a Complete Reloading Guide 1937 on it's way here
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 03-31-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have a Complete Reloading Guide 1937 on it's way here
    Jack, Sharpe's Complete Reloading Guide had several revisions with the 1953 being the latest with every information in the'37 issue plus thee other revisions up to the '53 revision.
    Between Sharpe's '53 book and the Ideal catalogs - they are my Go To's for old rifle loading data
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Jack, Sharpe's Complete Reloading Guide had several revisions with the 1953 being the latest with every information in the'37 issue plus thee other revisions up to the '53 revision.
    Between Sharpe's '53 book and the Ideal catalogs - they are my Go To's for old rifle loading data

I was wondering if that was the case. Not knowing, I didnt want to take a chance on missing any early information. I may try to pick up a 53' at some point. I have spent way too much money over the past year!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by w30wcf View Post
    The neat thing about DuPont No 1 BULK Smokeless is that it was designed to be used in case capacity loadings. It has a burning rate similar to 4198.

Having dissected early 45-70 cartridges to obtain this vintage powder for testing, I did not see any evidence of "crumbling" that Phil Sharpe has stated. Perhaps he is refering to a misuse of the powder by compressing it too much.

The only negative about it is that it is hydroscopic. It can pick up moisture if not stored properly which will affect its ballistic strength.

This is the earliest can type. I do not own this can. It belongs to a Gunpowder Can Collector in Canada. It is about 4" high.
    Top & Bottom

Early DuPont Powder Guide

28 grs. of DuPont No.1 in a 45-70 case- a capacity load....

w30wcf
    I do miss John

Well, I finally found an original 1900 or earlier Dupont No. 1 Rifle Powder "wrapper" load data sheet. The one he posted is said to be from 1902 and no information if it is or is not a "wrapper" data sheet.

I have been racking my brain for a very long time but I think I finally solved the puzzle.

Attachment 266399

Here is the one John posted in his yeasteryear posts.
    Attachment 266400

The difference is noted on two items. First there is writing on the back of the one I posted.
    Attachment 266401

I will finish in the next post

Second, I noticed the wrinkles on the sheet and discovered that the sheet itself was the wrapper. Thus I made one to demonstrate/compare.
    Attachment 266402Attachment 266403.

Then I guess the "wrapper" might look like this on the keg
    Attachment 266404

Anyone got anything? I am fresh out of ideas

Attachment 266406
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-18-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12