Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dupont No. 1 Smokeless

Boolit Buddy

Dupont No. 1 Smokeless

I just bought a box of old black powder stuff and included in the lot was an ancient can of Dupont No. 1 smokeless rifle powder. The can looks like it was from around the turn of the last century and is still almost full! It's also in very good condition. Interestingly, the powder appears to be sort of an off-white color. I burned a pinch of it on a scrap board with my lighter and it seems to burn smoothly and somewhat slowly, just like modern smokeless rifle powder would.

While I don't intend on using it, it seems that you could. What I was really wondering was if the old tin - and possibly even the powder - had any collector value.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Grand Master

DuPont #1 introduced 1894, discontinued 1926
    I would say the container(possibly the powder) has collector value, you just got to find the guy that wants it.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    DuPont #1 introduced 1894, discontinued 1926
    I would say the container(possibly the powder) has collector value, you just got to find the guy that wants it.
    Thank you, Sir! I've posted for info on a couple of other boards and it seems that it does indeed have collector value. Though I have no interest in using the powder, I may have some of the last remaining Dupont No.1 on Earth! That and a buck might get me a cup of coffee, right? LOL

I think I'll post this on the swapping and selling section here and see if anyone wants to trade for it.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Grand Master

You are welcome, I will copy the complete description for "Early Smokeless Powders"

" DuPont #1 Rifle Smokeless. Introduced 1894. Discontinued 1926: This was the first satisfactory smokeless powder and was intended for scoop measuring instead of weighing. No 1 Rifle powder, of a pale grayish-yellow and irregular granulation, was sifted through a wire mesh, 16 to the inch, and caught on screens 26 to the inch. It was intended for low pressures and used in such cartridges as the 22 single shot winchester,.22-15 and .22-16 Stevens, 25-20 Reapeater and Single Shot, .25-25 Stevens,.32-20 Winchester,.32-40 Winchester,.38-55, and .38-56.
    This powder was inclined to crumble under the pressure of the bullet. Therefore, the manufacturer recommended that the loaded cartridges be used within a few days of loading. This crumbling produced higher pressures than intended, and the more the powder crumbled, the higher the pressures became. One of the major reasons for it's discontinuance was its tendency to soak in water, and thus become useless. This powder was designed to operate at pressures between 20,000 25,000 pounds."

I cannot find any load data for #1, But do have some for #2 from 1903, #2 smokeless was same formula but finer granulation so could be used in rifle and pistol. Scott
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I think Phil Sharpe has some loads listed in "Complete Guide to Handloading". For just 2 or 3 calibers.

Boolit Buddy

In Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Handloading " he has almost a whole page devoted to this powder in the review of old powders. He states that it can crumble under pressure such as a compressed load giving high pressures. It is also very hygroscopic and is green with yellow spots. It is cylindrical in shape. He shows the government load for 30-40 Krag. I would not use this powder as any thing that old could be very unstable

Boolit Master

Personally, I'd use the powder in the garden. If you read DuPont's patents in the WW1 era, you'll quickly see that powder making was still being learned in the area of how to make stable powders. Also back in that era, some powder plants preprocessed more tons of old powder than they made new.

Boolit Master

KEEP THE POWDER FOR NOW, you can always waste it later.

Do your reasearch and cast a wide net stating that you have some of the powder in you possession . . .

Can collectors and shooter may be different crowd and you might be able to reap a benefit from both.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Man

Old Powder

I was reading your post and got to thinking,

I have some old powder that I've had setting on the shelf for over 40 years.

I have Dupont 17 1/2, #80, (Du pont) Smoke Less, and # 5066,.

A can of Hercules Hi-Vel #3 That Has never been opened.
    These are in Little cardboard boxes, and have little screw on caps.
    Kind of interesting to read some of the loading data on them.

garf.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by d garfield View Post
    I was reading your post and got to thinking,

I have some old powder that I've had setting on the shelf for over 40 years.

I have Dupont 17 1/2, #80, (Du pont) Smoke Less, and # 5066,.

A can of Hercules Hi-Vel #3 That Has never been opened.
    These are in Little cardboard boxes, and have little screw on caps.
    Kind of interesting to read some of the loading data on them.

garf.
    Garf; the freshest that DuPont #17 1/2 could be is 77 years young! Introduced 1923, discontinued 1933
    Charter Member #148

Doc1,

Nice find! The neat thing about DuPont No 1 BULK Smokeless is that it was designed to be used in case capacity loadings. It has a burning rate similar to 4198.

Having dissected early 45-70 cartridges to obtain this vintage powder for testing, I did not see any evidence of "crumbling" that Phil Sharpe has stated. Perhaps he is refering to a misuse of the powder by compressing it too much.

I tried it in the 22 Hornet to recreate the early 22 W.C.F. loading and in the 30-30 to recreate the early recommended "Mid Range" load. It worked very well in both applications.

Accuracy was extremely good in the Hornet with groups in the 1/2" range @ 50 yards. Just 5.5 grs filled the case capacity and produced velocities in the 1600 f.p.s. range.

The only negative about it is that it is hydroscopic. It can pick up moisture if not stored properly which will affect its ballistic strength.

This is the earliest can type. I do not own this can. It belongs to a Gunpowder Can Collector in Canada. It is about 4" high.
    Top & Bottom

Early DuPont Powder Guide

28 grs. of DuPont No.1 in a 45-70 case- a capacity load....

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 12-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Buddy

Picture

Here's a picture of the can, gentlemen.

Best regards
    Doc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dupont1.JPG  

kenneth

Searching

Greetings fellow enthusiats. New here to the forum. Have a question concerning items found that belonged to my sorely missed late father, a WW2 veteran. One is an advertisement for a Winchester Model 1894 Reloading Tool. Next is an advertisement for Du Pont No1 Smokeless Rifle Powder.
    These two papers are beautiful, and are original. I would like to be able to put each in a frame suitable for framing. I would like to have frames that would do justice for these pieces of history. Can someone offer suggestions where I may look such items?
    Thank you all, Ken

Moderator Emeritus

Kenneth, welcome to the forum,

Get your yellow pages and look for FRAME SHOPS in or near satellite beach florida. They build picture frames any size you want.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

kenneth
    Thanks much Trey for your response. What I was looking for was a frame perhaps commemorating the era when the aforementioned items were in use, I suppose 1890 / 1910? There should be something out there either aged or appearing that way. Perhaps someone specializes in this kind of thing?
    I've been away from firearms for a long time, and am looking forward to veiwing this forum, looks like lots of interesting people and conversation!
    Sincerely, Ken

Was Dupont #2 labeled as such or was it labeled Shotgun Powder? Or does someone have a good photo of a #2 can I can use?
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 02-22-2019 at 10:00 AM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Very cool thread!!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by w30wcf View Post
    Doc1,

Nice find! The neat thing about DuPont No 1 BULK Smokeless is that it was designed to be used in case capacity loadings. It has a burning rate similar to 4198.

Having dissected early 45-70 cartridges to obtain this vintage powder for testing, I did not see any evidence of "crumbling" that Phil Sharpe has stated. Perhaps he is refering to a misuse of the powder by compressing it too much.

I tried it in the 22 Hornet to recreate the early 22 W.C.F. loading and in the 30-30 to recreate the early recommended "Mid Range" load. It worked very well in both applications.

Accuracy was extremely good in the Hornet with groups in the 1/2" range @ 50 yards. Just 5.5 grs filled the case capacity and produced velocities in the 1600 f.p.s. range.

The only negative about it is that it is hydroscopic. It can pick up moisture if not stored properly which will affect its ballistic strength.

This is the earliest can type. I do not own this can. It belongs to a Gunpowder Can Collector in Canada. It is about 4" high.
    Top & Bottom

Early DuPont Powder Guide

28 grs. of DuPont No.1 in a 45-70 case- a capacity load....

w30wcf
    What is that on the top of the can????? Looks like some sort of button????
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    What is that on the top of the can????? Looks like some sort of button????
    The cap

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thanks much Trey for your response. What I was looking for was a frame perhaps commemorating the era when the aforementioned items were in use, I suppose 1890 / 1910? There should be something out there either aged or appearing that way. Perhaps someone specializes in this kind of thing?
    I've been away from firearms for a long time, and am looking forward to veiwing this forum, looks like lots of interesting people and conversation!
    Sincerely, Ken
    A good or better Art Frame Shop will have a wide range of frame material and styles to choose from to match up to your vintage pages.

Chev. William

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast