Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $1 Lead Smelter

You can also get the wattage of those elements on the bottom braces its usually stamped into one of them with the voltage.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward429451 View Post
    RE the where of plumbers pots etc..

Try

Bullet Metals
    Bill Ferguson, Metallurgist
    P.O. Box 1238
    Sierra Vista AZ 85636

This guy has a wide array of pots & accessories. I never actually ordered anything from him due to the poor man syndrome but have his flyer. It is a few yrs old so hopefully he's still around. Sorry I couldn't find a phone number for him in his lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawrco View Post
    Bill is a good guy, the Rowell ladles are the best! I thought Plumbers pots could be had via Buffalo Arms but I guess they've stopped carrying them. I just looked and no joy, but here's something like the turkey fryer/fish cooker setup that I use:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4500.htm

This thread is almost 8 years old and resurrecting it has brought contact information for Bill Ferguson to a current post. Please check out this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ut-of-Business

I don't know what it would take to shut down his web site but it needs to be done. Bill has been out of business for over a year now and I don't even know if he is still living.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

454PB
    Did you have to be selective in the element you bought? I know the wattage should be about the same for the same size burner but were there some burners that were structurally stronger than others? If so Did you remember the brand of element?
    The idea is great. I am thinking of using a piece of heavy wall pipe and putting the control switch in the side of the pipe. The problem with that would you would have your hand below the heated material to adjust the temp.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    454PB,

I think you did a great job. Low initial investment, effective and simple. Got the job done. What else can you ask for?

For those interested in plumber's pots to get increased fuel efficiency,

You can get very close to the efficiency of a plumber's pot by modifying a turkey cooker to do a better job of holding the heat in. Here's a picture of one I modified and it works very well. I can do quite a significant number of wheel weights with a single cannister of propane:

http://www.zjstech.net/~ddixson/Turk...Mods%20006.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~ddixson/Turk...Mods%20007.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~ddixson/Turk...Mods%20004.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~ddixson/Turk...Mods%20001.jpg

Regards,

Dave
    I like your turkey friar set-up. It gives me some ideas. I've got the frier, cut a propane tank in two already. Just need to make a stand, and yours looks just about right to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I walked into the appliance repair shop, there were literally hundreds of removed elements lying around. I picked these two for the flatness of the elements.

I'm well aware of the warnings about using aluminum. While I don't promote their use, this particular pot has melted several TONS of lead with no problems. I have other melting vessels made of steel, but I actually prefer the pressure cooker for it's quick heat conduction. I had a cast iron pot once, dropped it, and it cracked. At least it was empty when it happened.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    I like your turkey friar set-up. It gives me some ideas. I've got the frier, cut a propane tank in two already. Just need to make a stand, and yours looks just about right to me.
    Ronnie,

One thing you need to be aware of, especially in California, is wheel weights and their compositions have changed a good bit since my original posting. I strongly advise getting a thermometer and keeping the temperature of your melt very close to the melting point of lead. Otherwise, you're quite likely to get some zinc in your smelt and ruin your lead for casting.

On the other hand, if you use a thermometer and keep the temperature within the specificed range (see more recent posts by me on this subject), you will get good lead and the zinc wheel weights, as well and the steel clips and any other nasties will float to the top to be skimmed out.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Hook up a PID for the power source, throw a thermocouple in the pot and you would never have to worry about zinc wheel weights melting.

Nice rig for $1.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Any idea what it would take to make the temp of the ring adjustable???????? This has given me an idea for a new casting pot.
    A PID with a thermocouple and a SSR (Solid state relay)
    I have been considering setting up a system that does not heat over 550F to melt lead wheel weights out of zinc. Pure lead weights melt at about 620 F, And zinc melts at over 700F.
    Discovering the PID temp control system has been interesting for me to say the least
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123