Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 700gr Cramer HP/FP is closed

Boolit Master

Try smoking your pins, I did and the HPs in both shape slide right off with no problem, you also have to make sure the pins are good and hot, a lot hotter than what the mold temp needs to be.
    This is by NO means a gripe, just what I have found. The penta point pins are made in such a way as for the boolit to want to hang onto it. The "flats" on the sides of the pin are not FLAT! They're concave so the lead flows around them and hangs onto them. I went to smooth them off as the machining marks were quite rough. The flat fine diamond hone only took metal off the tops of the supposedly flat surface, leaving a valley between the tops.

It made enough of a difference that I was able to cast a bunch of them, aided by some frankford arsenal drop-out mold release. Once it wore off after about 30 casts, I smoked the pins before each pour, or they would still hang up.

The straight big HP pins, the boolits have always fallen off as soon as the mold is tipped upside down. I've never had any trouble with the hollow points in the boolits themselves forming or filling out. In fact, I had to cool the mold when I first tried bottom pouring. Even with the lead @ 675 degrees. I found the boolits filled the driving bands better and made them more consistent to ladle pour using a Lyman ladle and pressure pouring.

Boolit Master

ny Load Data? Looking to use AA#9 / H 110 or Titegroup for the checked ones

Can I shoot some without the gas check using Trail Boss??

Any data would be great! Thanks!
    This is what I'm using, it's all I've found for the 700 grainers. As always, start low and work up.

http://www.reloadammo.com/500sw.htm

My HP weighed in at 625 gr so I went ahead and loaded them with 26 grs of H 110, see what happens this weekend, If no reports follows, 26 grs is too much
    Cast'em

Has anyone besides me NOT received their mold yet? One of the guys I shoot with lives one town over and got his a couple of weeks ago. I'm still waiting by my mailbox.

EDIT: Got it today!
    Last edited by jasons; 03-19-2011 at 12:27 PM.

So his is already smoked and broken in? run over and hang out with him a few hours, keep yours new when it come in!
    Cast'em

I haven't received mine yet, but I didn't get the funds in as soon as the invoice went out.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

I received my cannon ball maker today, ahhh. It was shipped from Slovenia on 7 February 2011. And now the fun begins! Thanks to Dale and Miha another work of art.

Spoke too soon. I had a registered mail delivery attemp slip in the mailbox at lunch. Now I need to wait till this afternoon to go get it.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Anyone ever reload CBC head stamp Brass for the 500 S&W? Seems VERY hard to seat the bullet in the case, anyone?
    Cast'em

Boolit Buddy
    I tried mine today - the mould took FOREVER to heat up....

I was casting one penta and one penta pin flipped to solid.

The penta pin boolits were falling off the pin quite easily - the sold was not so easy.

I also noticed that when opening the mould the soild pin would drag on top of the boolit sometimes distorting it.

I think this mould like 800deg pot temp or so - I got some learnin to do.....

Brass molds take a while to heat up, and this one in particular. I sometimes pre-heat my molds on the hot plate I use for pan lubing. Place an old circular saw blade on the element and then the mold on the blade and leave it there while your melter melts your alloy. They are then both ready at the same time.

In Remembrance

You ARE flairing the mouth of the case, no?

You flare it enough so that the bullet starts in easy.

This bullet is so long that it requires handling like it was a rifle bullet. You have to guide the upper end of the bullet into the seating die.

Other than that, all 500 brass is similar in dimensions/hardness, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by new cal shooter View Post
    Anyone ever reload CBC head stamp Brass for the 500 S&W? Seems VERY hard to seat the bullet in the case, anyone?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

No, not yet. I have some once fired CBC in the brass I have to load up for the Son In Law. I've been sticking with the starline that I have new, and some starline he brought that he had fired. I've had good luck with CBC in other applications, 44 mag and .357.

I found that the RCBS seating die has a plug that causes the HP cavity on the big round HP to be swaged closed while it seats the boolit. It now has some JB weld in it that should be cured by now, I'll spin the seater plug in a drill to finish it flat. That should solve the problem.

I Found out CBC Brass has thicker wall , Flare it well enough to accept the base, then final crimp you can see the driving bands as a ghost image. I used Hornaday and this problem went away.

I Used the push thru part of the Lee bullet sizer die to seat my bullets using the lee seating die, just removed the round nose seating plug and replaced it with the bullet sizer push thru part. Odd but works, I'm going to send in a HP and FN to Lee for a custom seating plug.
    Cast'em

Boolit Master

I just loaded some of the fired before,(can't call it once fired), CBC with the big hollow point. It seemed to be no worse than starline, which is reputed to be thicker than most. I DID notice the primer pockets were loose. Makes me wonder what they were loaded with.

The revised RCBS seater plug was spun in my ¼" drill against a file, then finished with some 320 sandpaper. Works just like it was made that way.

These are sized to .501 , they do seat hard, seem to require more effort than other boolits/bullets.

Fired just fine, well like you would expect, hard hitting with 25gr H110 for the FP, had some unburnt powder in the barrel with the 26 gr H110 in the 625 gr HP, 15 rounds was all i could take, snow and cold. Only used the Lee ALLOX for them, seems to work just fine with a coat of mica after they dry.
    Cast'em

Vendor Sponsor

I have some over order molds.....

If you are interested please PM me
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Banned
    Great! One is not enough.

Miha please hold one for me and ship it with the upcoming .502 600gr HP/FP cramer mold order.

PM sent.

Boolit Master
    Mine came a couple of days ago . looks real good. Thank you . You shore do good work.

Boolit Bub
    Casted and loaded some of the round hollow points over 26 grains of h110 to shoot tomorrow! I'm so excited, can't wait to see what these monsters do. Anyone else have range reports?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast