Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: I can't get it out of my mind...

Boolit Buddy

I can't get it out of my mind...

Being stuck not doing anything with the weather and the holidays, I can't help but dream about what guns I want. There is one in particular that keeps coming back. It is a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. Living in Illinois where for deer we are limited to shotguns, I don't have a good reason to purchase one other than I want one. The excuse I keep coming up with is that wild hogs will someday take over this state and I'll need a big enough rifle with a quick follow up shot to handle them. So you fellas with experience with this rifle, I would greatly like to here about them. I plan on shooting cast through it.

Lets hear your opinions
    Matt

I like the 7600. We keep one as our camp rifle. Iron sights and a youth synthetic stock and almost anyone can shoot it well. It is a great stalking/stillhunting/tracking rifle. Light enough with the carbine barrel to carry all day. Fast on the shot and the follow-up if needed. Mine is chambered in 30-06 but I think the 35 Whelen would be even better.
    Semper Fi

iwhen i was young enough to still hunt in PA.i used a 760 as 99%of the other hunters in camp . all in 06 never a problum.
    we used the deer drive and the clip was a big help after the drive was over and it time to move to the next area.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Buddy
    The 7600 in 35 Whelen is a great combo, I have had one for years but only used it occasionally as I have a couple other Whelen as well, last year I decided one of the reasons I did not use it as much as it is a little longer than I like and if it was a little shorted maybe I would carry it more often. I shortened the barrel to 19" and took 5/8" off the stock and what a difference, feels like a totally different gun. I chopped it after deer season was over but I lugged it around for rabbits with light cast boolit loads and it carried like a dream through some pretty thick areas and with the stock a bit shorter it seems to shoulder faster as well. Might be close to the perfect deer rifle, I really like the ease of a clip for unloading and it is amazing how fast a second shot can be fired accurately. Mine shoots the 35 caliber Ranchdog boolit very well and that has become my standard 35 cal deer hunting bullet. I also have a 35 Remington 7600 that was a Grices special some years back and that is one of the most accurate rifles I own, unbelievable what it will do with the 35 ranchdog and 36grs of 3031, the 200gr Remington corlock does real well with the same load.

I would highly recommend getting a 7600 in either 35 Whelen or 35 Remington, both are fine rifles.

JW

In Remembrance

Some years back RIFLE magazine had an article on re-barreling a Rem. M 760 to .338/06 for Alaskan use. As this is one of my fav cartridges I haven`t slept well since reading that article. Guess it will always be a "wish I had one" type dream.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    If you're looking anyway, keep an eye out for mine-stolen from my home in 1997. "Answer Systems" brake and recoil pad, compass inletted into the top of the stock (all done before I got the gun) Serial number 8525661-and I have the receipt from the last legitimate sale. Great shooter, and a pretty decent trigger for a Remington pump-but it will come up a hit on NCIC, and the Dallas Police Department is gonna want to talk to whoever has it.......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Some years back RIFLE magazine had an article on re-barreling a Rem. M 760 to .338/06 for Alaskan use. As this is one of my fav cartridges I haven`t slept well since reading that article. Guess it will always be a "wish I had one" type dream.Robert
    ROBERT!

You had better get a prescription from your doctor so you can get one of those 760's and have it done up as you wish!!

Not being able to sleep ......... and for years ...........

Life is just to short to lust for such a reasonable goal!!!

I had not thought of that combo ............ now I'm going to be sleepless myself!!

Three 44s

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Well 44,
    If you find yourself down Reno way I'll make you a fabulous deal on a nice clean donor w/2 magazines...............

I haven't spent alot of time w/this 760 in 30-06 but I didn't find a promising load combo right away either,I guess I'm just a bolt rifle kinda guy. I must say I do have an affinity for its little brother a Model 14 in 32 Rem. So maybe it is just me and the 760 just not clicking...................
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a Police 308 7600. Great rifle, but a bit of an ear ringer with the 16.5" Bbl.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Harter66,

Thanks for the offer!

Dad has one in -06 he bought around the late '50's ........... it has an excellent trigger!

I had one in 6mm Remington and had a trigger job done to it .......... the trigger never came within a mile of Dad's rifle .......... then the 6mm was stolen .........

Since then I came across a Savage 99 in .243 and it's lights out with a good trigger.

Two things the 99 has over the 760 are the slimness around the forend (thinking saddle horse) and no fore end rattle.

The 760 gets the nod for longer cartridges ........... can't stuff an 06 in them.

Best regards

Three 44s