Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loaded for Bear?

Boolit Master

Believe me, I studied the regs before I went out in the field with that rifle as I was aware that most states had serious restrictions. There were none I could find, was actually surprised.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Depends on what i am hunting and where most time 20 rounds in deer rifle and a mag full in pistol. Some areas I hunt have feral dogs that sized my son up one day in muzzle loading season. So if a dog shows up without a collar its a target.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

When I turkey hunt, i use my 20ga 3rnd mag. I usually carry two reloads.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Moderator Emeritus
    Here downunder there is no real limited on magazine capacity other than the limit imposed by the firearm. And if there is (as not all states have the same laws, extra rounds or magazines are exempt.

Me, personally upto 200 rounds rimfire and 100 rounds centrefire. I figure it is easier to bring ammunition home than to have to come home to get more.
    An afternoon of shooting rabbits on a warren system can 'chew up' a 100 rounds or so.

I can recall a story several of my fellow shooters related after there return from a hunting expedition up north. They had been out on foot and were returning to their vehicle after a heavy shooting session over one of the dams on the property. Between the three of them they had one round of .308" Winchester left; that's three rifles, one round of ammo. They spotted a 'Buck' Red Kangaroo in a seexual embrace with a female 'roo. Thinking the opportunity for a shot was too good to pass up, one of them took the shot with the last round hoping to get the male for dog meat. He missed and shot the female out from under the male and this apparently upset the 'Buck'.

They all said that it was very scary afterwards as the big 'Roo circled them in the bush as they beat a retreat to the vehicle. They could hear him grunting at them but not see him.

Big Reds will not attack anyone unless you are well and truly in their personal space.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In Remembrance
    That would chap me too. lol
    Very funny story I gotta admit.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Bigjohn;1114702] He missed and shot the female out from under the male and this apparently upset the 'Buck'.

QUOTE]

Ya think?

Somehow I just don't think I could have done that to any creature. I don't even think I could have done that to a coyote. Well maybe...

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Master
    For deer I will take just what the rifle or handgun holds plus maybe a couple extra in a pocket.
    For small game with a 22 I will take a full box.
    If I go after Crows with a shotgun I take all the 12ga. shells that I can carry.
    For Dove hunting I can't even carry enough 12ga. shell to get my limit........Terry
    Last edited by TCFAN; 01-13-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Boolit Master

Terry, thats why you carry a case into the field ;P
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Grand Master

How can you not love the Auzzies? Great story Big John!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

I carry about 20 rounds normally, even if hunting with a single shot. Here in Az. it can be a ways back to the truck. I have been out rather "late" at night but haven't had to spend the whole night out yet.
    If I am hunting or fishing by myself ( I know!) I might even have 2 guns. When you are on the indian reservation past the end of the road and sharing the path along the river with the bears it is nice to have a revolver in the top pocket of the waders!

Boolit Master

Revolver I carry a strip loader and twist lock speedloader.

Rifle, magazine full plus 4 since that is all I have loaded.

I used to carry 20 rounds for the rifle until I realized I would likely not get in a fire fight while hunting.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    but what if there was 200 p dogs and i had only 20 boolits .i would have to wate till thay lined up ten in a row

Boolit Master

28 rounds of .35 Whelen.
    Four in the rifle,
    Four in the pocket
    20 in the pack.
    Grizzlies walk where I hunt.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    I have never needed more than 1 or 2 rounds to fill my tag. I always carry at least 20 rounds more than my rifle holds no matter the caliber. Also I always carry a hand gun usually a 357 or a 44 with a belt full of ammo. My brother-in-law and I were hunting one year up in central Arizona not too far from Prescott. We were hunting in scattered Cedars and some areas of the unit we were hunting you could see quite a ways. We were moving along through the ceders and we could here some dogs when we finally saw them there was 8 of them they were about 70 or 80 yards away headed our way. We knew they could see us and they just keep comming at about 50 yards we thought this was close enough, we killed 3 of them at which point the rest of them took off for parts unkown. You can never have to much ammo. That is one situation I don't want to be in again. Wild dogs in a pack are more dangerous than a pack of coyots, they have no fear of humans.
    Of course there is allways the possibality of beeing stranded for what ever reason. A pocket full of extra ammo is always comforting.

For big game I generally carry 5-6 including whats in the gun.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.