RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blackhorn 209

Boolit Master

blackhorn 209

anyone use it? at the price It must be good. does it smoke like the real black?

In Remembrance
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

More energy per grain than even triple 7. Very little smoke and they recommend a 209 primer to set it off. Seems to be designed for the inliners.

Oh and it is running $39.95 for a 10oz can in my neck of the woods.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Thats why I asked its twice + the price of anything else.. If it dont smoke then I will stay with the 5477 in the Savage.

Boolit Master
    We have used it in our 45's. It does smoke lot and the bore is nice and wet with either SPG or Lars Carnuba Red.We love the stuff for light loads, havent tried in a 45/70 yet. Soon.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Shotman, you may want to read this thread about Blackhorn on The Open Range for details ...
    http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=6150.0

Summary:
    "Haag's findings were that Blackhorn 209, while basically nitrocellulose contained inclusions of potassium nitrite and sulphur, which may create potassium sulphate, possibly sulphur trioxide, or dioxide combining with water in the air form sulfuric acid. He concluded that there is potassium nitrite and elemental sulphur embedded in what is basically a nitrocellulose product"
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

John: Thanks that would account for the smoke. but at price I think black is better for a couple hunderd rounds

"The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Buddy
    i tried it in my sharps 45/110 and i got some good groups,but at 33.00 for 10 oz i will find something else.

blackhorn

i have a h&r 4570 tried blackhorn with the best results yet over anything i have tried yet . using lee mould hollow base 405 gr. with 32 grs. by weight not volume over powder wad and
    and magnum primers , spg lube , shooting 1 1/2 at 100 yards.
    not much smoke , no fouling , simple cleanup .
    i love the stuf

Boolit Grand Master

The only thing I have heard bad about it is the price. I know I won't be buying it unless the price comes down though.
    Aim small, miss small!

I just bought a small jug of this at Bass Pro tonight. Only $29. I just want to play with some and load some 44 special and 45 LC. Article about it in latest Handloader mag.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    As long as the real BP is sold and delivered or in FTF deals I will never shoot a sub. Why pay such a outrageous price for a fake when the real may be purchased for as little as $10 a pound? They don't make a fake BP that is as much fun to shoot as the original. Every time I touch off some I can put myself back in time and know the same sensation as those hundreds of years ago. It's like standing on the ground at the Wheat field, Pickett's charge, the Alamo, or just in the woods hunting for food. That feeling cannot be passed into me with any other powder made.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

None of the "substitute" powders are better than real B/P they all need to be cleaned after shooting and are more expensive,I don't see any advantage over real B/P.

They need to be cleaned, but not near as corrosive. I have 10 lbs of black laying around that I shoot in my flints all the time. I would never use a substitute in my front stuffers, just wanted to try something a little different in the single action cartridge pistols. I need something to try to get them out of the safe.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    ddeaton, I am sorry but you sir are very wrong about the Real BP being more corrosive than the subs. Starting with Pyrodex which is the most of any thing made. The others can and will show rust the very next day. As far as the article in Handloader I almost want to cancel my subscription because of it. The author speaks of loading by volume with real black and weighing the subs. I have posted so much on this but will not stop as long as I breathe. He has it backwards and is not that smart. BP has always been weighed by weight. Go and look at your old boxes and you will find the amount printed. The calibers that have two numbers are so because the back set is telling you the amount of powder in that shell. 44-40 was loaded with 40 grains, 45-70 was 70 grains and so on. They had black powder that was so good that the instructions said that the user had no need to clean until his next use of the rifle. Show me where the history books make notes of the powder making the guns so rusty that they were thrown away. Show me where they make any reference to a gun being so rusty that they lost the battle. The writer of the article even went as far as saying that 209 maybe shipped with other powders with out paying a Haz-mat fee as you have for BP. This guy has never purchased powder via any delivery in his life. I would not believe anything he said even if his tongue was stamped as a true copy. I have been with Handloader for many years but this idiot might change that.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

cajun shooter
    Might I ask the name of the author?

The author in the Handloader magazine article regarding Blackthorn 209 powder is Steve Gash.He also claimed of great accuracy with his Sharp's replica rifle.He did show a small portion of a target showing a 100 yd. group that looked good.
    Last edited by longranger; 11-22-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: wrong statement

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    BH209 is the best thing going for 209 ignition inlines. It is pricey, but its measured by volume and not weight, so 10oz roughly equates to the same volume as BP. In my Omega I've shot as many as 40 shots without cleaning, and the last shot loaded just as easily as the 2nd. I'm speaking of sabots and jacketed projectiles, and not more easily loaded powerbelts or maxi/minies, etc. I clean with Hoppes #9.

IMO, there isn't a real good reason to use it in cartridges at its price. It can be bought for $26 or so per container online, but requires paying the hazmat, so unless you're buying in quantity, its still pricey.

I'm not a fan of any of the other substitutes. All seem to suffer from fouling and/or shelf life issues, so I'll use real BP in sidelock MLers and cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    If you go their website, BH209 is actually NOT a BP subsitute - it is actually a smokeless powder formulation to perform like holy black both in pressures and burn rate. That accounts for the clean burn and no residue. OK, by strict definition, it IS a substitute for BP, but not in the traditional sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast