WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rho ???

Boolit Buddy

Rho ???

Moderators, if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it. I have been searching the web for RHO scopes but can only find stories about them and no web address or contact information. I went to C. Sharps website and they said they had them in stock for 2010 but they are not in their catalog.
    Anybody have a contact for them??? Thanks..
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master

U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WildmanJack View Post
    Moderators, if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it. I have been searching the web for RHO scopes but can only find stories about them and no web address or contact information. I went to C. Sharps website and they said they had them in stock for 2010 but they are not in their catalog.
    Anybody have a contact for them??? Thanks..
    Jack
    I read very recently that Mr. Oates had stopped building the scopes. Not sure where I read this, but likely on the Shiloh or BPCR site.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh man, that'
    s what I was afraid of!! So I guess it's gonna be between an MVA and a Leatherwood. Since there are no long distance matches down here in SW Florida I justmay save the money and go with the Leatherwood... Just have to see how finances are in February.. Thanks for all the help...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Why not just call C Sharps? Why? Rho Instrument Co is a dead end on the Internet
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking about doing that tomorrow. Just thought somebody might have a connection for me to take a look at them on line...
    jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Buddy
    The last time (a few weeks ago) that I spoke with Randy Oates (owner of RHO) he was still making scopes but his web site had been down for many months. Before you "write off" RHO give Randy a call. His phone numbers are 778-840-1541 or 604-323-0541. Please post here what you find out .

If you haven't already read it, you may be interested in an article I wrote & posted on my web site titled, Searching for a Cost Effective BPCR Scope Solution.
    http://www.texas-mac.com/Searching_f..._Solution.html

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 12-20-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Buddy
    Wayne,
    Fantastic article. Man I thought I was doing a lot of research!! Thanks so much for the link. I have a lot to think about. Like how often am I going to shoot beyond 200 yds. That's the furthest distance I have close by, But 45 min away I can shoot 1000 yd. One thing I did find out was that as I have a round barrel on my Sharps, Leatherwood does not make a heavy duty mount for it. So I would have to use dovetail mounts, either that or find aome kind of mount that would fit for the rear scope mount.
    Anyway, thanks again for the info. Once I speak with Mr. Oates, I'll post the results here...
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Jack,

Mounts.....check out DZ Arms.
    http://www.hepman.com/dzarms/index.html

If I were going to use a Leatherwood.......

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Buddy
    Jack,

If you decide on a Leatherwood, do not consider using any of their mounts for competitive precision shooting at several distances. As I mentioned in the article, their standard (simpler) mounts are adequate for hunting but not for precision shooting where adjusting the rear mount for different distances is required. Based on reports from many shooters, most consider that their fine adjustment rear mount is junk.

If you plan to use a Leatherwood, Jon has the right idea. Although they are not cheap, pick up a set of DZ Arms mounts with the understanding that you will also have to purchase a scope clamp that locks into the front mount to keep the scope from rotating and sliding since the Leatherwood does not have a Pope-style rail. Another option is to find a set of used Unertl or Fecker mounts, which would also require the scope clamp.

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 12-21-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Master
    Go with MVA drill and tap the barrel for their blocks and Mounts, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Buddy
    Kenny,
    I know that MVA are probably the very best out there and they are still in the running. I live on a rather modest firefighters retirement and need to really watch my money. I was planning on possibly buying a scope around February or so, but again I have to see if my budget will allow it. So I will continue to look and take all the suggestions I can get. Thanks so much for your thoughts they are truly appreciated..
    And to all those that have commented here. I wish you all the very best of the Holiday season, and a Happy, Safe, and prosperous New Year.. Keep em in the 10 ring guys...
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Go with MVA drill and tap the barrel for their blocks and Mounts, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT.

KW
    The Lunger
    When Shiloh built my gun in 2004, I had them drill, tap and install mounts for one of their scopes. I'm about a year or less away from sending them a check.

I have minor difficulties with their tang sight...one simply had set for a year and needed some kroil or other oil to loosen up the slider...they replaced the elevation screw and set my check back.

I WILL DISAGREE WITH KENNY...you'll kick yourself for not getting the MVA sooner!

EDK
    Breathing PRB coal dust at Labadie power plant

Boolit Master
    I used to ship quite a few trains to that Plant. Load them that is. When I was the lead operator at Coal creek we avg at the end there about 80 trains a month.

My coal dust days are over, the effects remain though.

KW
    the Lunger

Boolit Buddy
    I just called and spoke with Randy Oates, owner of RHO. He confirmed that he's no longer making scopes and recommends MVA scopes. He based his decision to get out of the business due to the relatively cheap price of the Leatherwood scopes. He agrees that the Leatherwood mounts are a piece of junk but does admit the scope is adequate if mounted with good mounts. So we loose another quality supplier to the Chinese imports.

As a side comment, Randy said that if he ever decided to get back into the business, he'd upgrade the optics, seal the scope and provide dot reticles (especially for windage) for holding off in windy conditions rather than having to constantly adjust the rear mount.

I evaluated the 18" Leatherwood and found very good/clear optics and the scope is sealed, but it has plain reticles (Randy considers them too coarse). So I'm guessing some of Randy's comments are a direct result of the Leatherwood design.

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 12-23-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You can get the leatherwood scope and dz mounts combo from Baco for 650ish..
    I do know of one shooter that mounted his long leatherwood in MVA mounts.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Leatherwood does have a heavy duty mount suitable for the longer ranges. It is big and clunky looking but it does work. My shooting buddy has a set with a brass Tasco scope in it and he hasn't had any problems with it. In fact he does rather well with it.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Bob,

Your comments are the 1st positive response I've come across on the heavy-duty Leatherwood mounts. Most shooters that have tried them only have negative comments. I'm guessing here but length/weight of the scope may be the difference as may shooters have tried to use them with the longer 30" or 32" scopes. Unless I'm mistaken (certainly wouldn't be the 1st time), the Tasco is a short/lighter-weight scope.

Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    Wayne,
    That's a darn shame that he's gone out of the optics business. I had not had the chance to call him yet but had planned to. So I now need to decide between MVA If I can afford it) or Leatherwood IF I can get the right mounts for it. The Leatherwood mounts are out of the question for a couple of reason. #1 cause they're not very repeatable, #2 they won't fit a round barrel!! So if I can't afford an MVA I may go with the Leatherwood scope and the DZ mounts. I just have to see how the cash flow is!!
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasmac View Post
    Bob,

Your comments are the 1st positive response I've come across on the heavy-duty Leatherwood mounts. Most shooters that have tried them only have negative comments. I'm guessing here but length/weight of the scope may be the difference as may shooters have tried to use them with the longer 30" or 32" scopes. Unless I'm mistaken (certainly wouldn't be the 1st time), the Tasco is a short/lighter-weight scope.

Wayne
    Wayne,
    You might be correct, the Tasco is probably a 23 inch scope. If I'm not mistaken the Leatherwood scope uses extensions to fit it to the different barrel lengths. That could sure be a problem.
    He doesn't shoot it all of the time since he built it for his daughter but he has been the club BPCRS champion for the last 6 years. He is also a pretty fair amateur gunsmith and built this rifle from scratch.
    I've only fired the rifle a couple times and didn't have to make any sight adjustments. My scope is an MVA and the only complaint that I can levy against it is that dealing with the adjustment screw backlash takes a little getting use to. Once I have my zero though I normally use hold off for corrections.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast