Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Old mold

Boolit Master

Old mold

Well, I dug out my old Lyman 311291 that I haven't used for about 20+ years and I think I know why I haven't used it. It sticks TERRIBLE. I cleaned it with acetone just before I used it and it stuck bullets in one half or the other got tired of beating on the hinge pin so I smoked it, no difference. Then I cleaned it again and tried the Kroil, no difference.

Not only did the bullets stick but the sprue plate didn't cut very well leaving a nub where the sprue was cut.

Any ideas?

I think I will buy a Lee 150 or 170 flat nose as I had planned to use the 311291 in my .30-30 Marlin.

Skeet1

Boolit Master

Lapping the mold should help the bullets drop out easier, there's lots of threads in the classics and stickies section on how to do it. and it sounds like the sprue plate is lifting up as you cut. Could be a dull edge on sprue plate hole and/or a loose sprue plate. All your problems can be solved with a little TLC.

Boolit Master
    1. What was the temp of your alloy? Temp of the mould?
    2. Hold the mould up to a light source with the sprue plate open and see if you can see any light. If you do, check the mating surfaces for lead and or burrs. Also check pin alignment.
    3. As for the "nub", remove the sprue plate and run it over a piece of plate glass, or other truly flat surface that has a piece of medium to fine grit emory cloth on it. This will sharpen the edges of the "hole" in the sprue plate, as well as removing any accumulated lead smears.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Well I lymented the 311291 had a burr on both halves along the nose. I also found another sprue plate I had and put it on. The bullets still stick only in the opposite half than they did before. The nub on the bullet is gone, I guess the new sprue plate took care of that.

It looks like lapping is next.

Skeet1