Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TJ'S Barrel liners

Boolit Master

TJ'S Barrel liners

Not really any info on the web for these liners. Are they rifled better than Redman liners? I'm going to have a 25-20 lined and am exploring my options. I assume they are also 7/16 O/D like the Redman's. Also how are they priced ? Thanks

Boolit Master

The voice on the end of the wire is Mike's,
    IMHO;
    Prices are reasonable.
    apparrantly quality is good. ( I havn't fired mine yet)
    Delivery is quick.Lots of choices,( get a menue)
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master

John Taylor swears by them and he is one of the best reliners in the business. He convinced me and I have my orders in.

Boolit Master
    I've used several TJs liners and they are very good. Having used both, I'd be hesitant to say whether they were higher in quality than Redman's but they are as good, and TJ's selection of calibers and twists is much larger. TJ's pricing is "by the inch" which lets you match an unusual barrel length easier than with Redman's more standardized lengths.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several of them installed by John Taylor. I can say that they are first rate. John is too.

Boolit Master

Is the rifling any deeper than the redmans or about the same? Which one has the better bore finish or are they about the same?

Boolit Master

Someone mentioned my name, better step in here. The difference is, Redman liners are button rifled. This is the same proses as a lot of barrel maker use for after market barrels. In this case aircraft tube (4130 steel) is used and a button is pulled through it. T.J.'s liners are hammer forged around a mandrel that has the rifling. The mandrel is about 4" long and the same aircraft tube is used, only starting with a larger size and thicker wall. The hammer forge does just what it sounds like, beats the metal down on the mandrel. This proses makes a smoother rifling and in my opinion has better defined rifling. Customers say they don't lead as bad. Also it work hardens the metal a bit, come out at Rockwell 28 on the C scale which is what a lot of barrel companies are getting out of 4140 ( Douglas is still around 32).
    Button rifling is quicker and the machinery is less expensive but the liners are limited to the length of machine travel. Mike says he can make a liner 10' long. This way he can cut off the length a customer orders.
    Bore and groove for the 25-20 is .250" and .257" with a 1 in 14 twist.

KCSO, I try not to swear but I do like Mike's liners best.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Boolit Man
    I just finished a reline on my Marlin 25-20 using a TJ's liner and am very pleased with the outcome. The finish is very smooth and I have had no leading with GC or PB boolits. The OD of my liner is .433"

coyotebait

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Is the rifling any deeper than the redmans or about the same? Which one has the better bore finish or are they about the same?
    Questiion.... is this liner suitable for an Air Rifle?

Much Aloha,

Tom

Boolit Master

Mike at T.J.'s tells me he make many barrels for the air gun crowd. He even sent me a short piece of 58 caliber barrel for an air gun. He is presently trying to come up with the proper size tube for making a 30 caliber air gun barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    +1+1 for TJ's liners and also John Taylor Machine!
    I had an 1893 Marlin 38-55 relined approx. a year ago by Mr. Taylor with a TJ's liner. I did not deal directly with TJ's but Mr. Taylor ordered the liner. The work was VERY good. I did a pound cast of the chamber and bore. The dimensions were spot on. My measuring tools are not near accurate enough to detect any deviation from what was specified. For any amount of money I feel one would be hard pressed to find better workmanship than either of these folks. I have only shot it about 200 rounds and I am still trying to find the right combination for this rifle, but I am confident in it's internal dimensions and feel I can rule that out as a source of inaccuracy.
    Last edited by Bodean98; 09-05-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    I've used them, notably to restore a Bohemian double rifle which had been bored out to a 14ga smoothbore, with what was probably a totally unsuspected single set trigger for the last century or so. It has the initial R on a gold escutcheon, with the seven-pointed coronet for a freiherr, or middle-ranking nobility, rather like a Mafia caporegime rather than a don. A graf got nine points, and lower nobility five.

The quality appears extremely good, and there is a considerable variety, including in the same chambering, with land and groove diameters accurately specified. Of course anybody doing this kind of work on an old rifle is likely to check from reference books and measure the twist, unless the bore is disastrously corroded or has previously been rerifled or bored smooth like mine. But it never hurts to have a cross-check.

TJ's is great to work with. Call him up, and he will send you a flyer with all his liner dimensions and prices. I recently needed a liner with the thickness of a 22LR one, but with 22CF dimensions inside. He not only had some laying around, but made me a heck of a deal on it since it wasn't a stock item.

-Nobade

Perm-Banned
    who makes the liners that track of the wolf sells?

Boolit Bub
    Yes, the TJ liners are the GO TO source for many of us who shoot big bore ag's. Mine is a .257 and uses the 1-14" twist 25-20 liner. He offers other twist as well for .257.

Accuracy is superb with the 80 gr. Ranch Dog from NOE. I am getting a little
    1020 fps, with accuracy in the range of well under MOA at 100 yards.

I sent the NOE mold out to Eric at Hollow Point Mold service, and this combo has proven explosively deadly on vermin here in Central Texas.

KnifeMaker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    who makes the liners that track of the wolf sells?
    They are TJ's. I believe he charges the same prices direct or dropships for them, and much as I admire Track, I would prefer him to get all the profit that is going on a labour of love like this.

I mistrust hammer rifling when it is used to rifle a contoured barrel. Because it varies in thickness, there is a chance that it will vary in springiness, and the bore will vary in diameter along its length. But I can't see a thing wrong with it when used on a thin liner tube.

Perm-Banned
    im going to buy a track of the wolf 40 cal 1/16 twist soon and reline a cva muzzle loader for a 350 grain paperpatch bullet. how to get around the liner in a tapered barrel is just cryo the liner before you put it in. i know it is a extra cost but it would be worth it. i expect a gun when im done to easily hit the steel buffalo in the spot i want at 800 to 1000 yards. going to cryo my liner before i install it.

Boolit Mold
    Is there any reason that a liner can't be used as-is, as the barrel

Boolit Master
    Most of them are too thin, especially if the chamber is cut in the liner rather than a separate larger-diameter steel plug, or the liner accurately enough lined up to use the original chamber. But TJ's liners for Colt revolvers are available in 7/8in. diameter, and you aren't meant to line a barrel of almost 7/8in. diameter with those.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Most of them are too thin, especially if the chamber is cut in the liner rather than a separate larger-diameter steel plug, or the liner accurately enough lined up to use the original chamber. But TJ's liners for Colt revolvers are available in 7/8in. diameter, and you aren't meant to line a barrel of almost 7/8in. diameter with those.
    I believe these are for making a new barrel because the same liner is also sold in 5/8"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast