Ballisti-CastTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & Sons

Thread: TJ'S Barrel liners

Boolit Master

TJ'S Barrel liners

Not really any info on the web for these liners. Are they rifled better than Redman liners? I'm going to have a 25-20 lined and am exploring my options. I assume they are also 7/16 O/D like the Redman's. Also how are they priced ? Thanks

Boolit Master

The voice on the end of the wire is Mike's,
    IMHO;
    Prices are reasonable.
    apparrantly quality is good. ( I havn't fired mine yet)
    Delivery is quick.Lots of choices,( get a menue)
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master

John Taylor swears by them and he is one of the best reliners in the business. He convinced me and I have my orders in.

Boolit Master

I've used several TJs liners and they are very good. Having used both, I'd be hesitant to say whether they were higher in quality than Redman's but they are as good, and TJ's selection of calibers and twists is much larger. TJ's pricing is "by the inch" which lets you match an unusual barrel length easier than with Redman's more standardized lengths.

Boolit Master
    I have several of them installed by John Taylor. I can say that they are first rate. John is too.

Boolit Master

Is the rifling any deeper than the redmans or about the same? Which one has the better bore finish or are they about the same?

Boolit Master

Someone mentioned my name, better step in here. The difference is, Redman liners are button rifled. This is the same proses as a lot of barrel maker use for after market barrels. In this case aircraft tube (4130 steel) is used and a button is pulled through it. T.J.'s liners are hammer forged around a mandrel that has the rifling. The mandrel is about 4" long and the same aircraft tube is used, only starting with a larger size and thicker wall. The hammer forge does just what it sounds like, beats the metal down on the mandrel. This proses makes a smoother rifling and in my opinion has better defined rifling. Customers say they don't lead as bad. Also it work hardens the metal a bit, come out at Rockwell 28 on the C scale which is what a lot of barrel companies are getting out of 4140 ( Douglas is still around 32).
    Button rifling is quicker and the machinery is less expensive but the liners are limited to the length of machine travel. Mike says he can make a liner 10' long. This way he can cut off the length a customer orders.
    Bore and groove for the 25-20 is .250" and .257" with a 1 in 14 twist.

KCSO, I try not to swear but I do like Mike's liners best.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    John Taylor, Taylor Machine, gunsmith

Boolit Man
    I just finished a reline on my Marlin 25-20 using a TJ's liner and am very pleased with the outcome. The finish is very smooth and I have had no leading with GC or PB boolits. The OD of my liner is .433"

coyotebait