RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whatca doin' on Christmas day.

Whatca doin' on Christmas day.

Team.

My wife brought home some cherries today. They are in season and a Christmas sort of thing to us. I got to thinking today about the differences the hemispheres play in Christmas celebrations. You see, unlike our cousins in the north who are presently up to their collective nether regions in snow, it is summer down here (not that you would have known it today). Christmas day for my family will sart at friends for brunch then the main event will be at Grandads (father inlaws) and a BBQ late lunch. Ham, prawns, lamb, new potatoes and fresh lettuces from my garden and maybe some baby carrots if they are good and ready. My folks used to do a tradition heavy Christmas lunch and in the heat of summer it made no sense at all but Dad knew best God rest his soul.

So, what are you all doing, eating and where?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Jeff,
    Yes very similiar start after present opening with a "bubbly" breakfast BBQ of pancakes and bacon and more bubbles.
    Then its everyone at our place for Christmas lunch as per normal with Weber Turkey and ham, young spiker venison steaks and lamb on the grill. We too have forgone the heavy traditional lunch with no roast veges but salads and fresh peas and asparagus. Not forgetting my annual feed of Oamaru Jersey new potatoes which I hang out for every year.
    Then about four o'clock the dog and I will hit the beach for our 4K walk weather permitting.

Boolit Master

On Christmas Day we will be entertaining a young lady from Austrailla at our house.
    She's from Beesbane (sp) and has never seen much snow.
    She is my sons girl friend that he met while on manovers there in Austrailla several years ago.
    My son is in the Marine Corps stationed at Camp Pendelton, California.
    Streak & Lobster for supper.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

We will spend the day with our best friends who are also our youngest son's in-laws, our son and daughter-in-law, perhaps my oldest son, probably their youngest will come down from Baltimore, perhaps with his girlfriend, and I think their oldest will still be in Japan.

Since LOML is allergic to all wheat, milk and tomato products, our best friend's wife doesn't use any refined sugar, and I'm diabetic our diet has changed over the past several years. We are still trying different recipies and ideas.

Menu will include turkey, duck and ham! Beer and/or wine for all who want it.

Day after is a trip to High Point, NC to visit extended family.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 12-21-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

On Heaven's Range

Unfortunately, an underground mine can't be turned on-or-off like a tap...it needs at least SOME people 24/7/365.

I'll be working the 6pm-6am night shift both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It's just luck of the draw as to where the Holidays fall in our rotating schedule, and we're accustomed to the necessity. It does COST the company, of course. I'll get 12 hours' overtime (equivalent of 18 hours at straight time) plus 8 hours statutory holiday pay for a total of 26 hours' pay for twelve worked On top of that is mine bonus, which has been running around $20 per hour lately. Close to $1000 for one shift eases the situation considerably.....

All across the country, there will be many thousands of people working to keep things running and safe while most of us enjoy family, friends and good times at home.

Spare them a thought as you celebrate.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Christmas eve we'll have family and friends over. My family has a long standing tradition of not going to church Christmas morning. It seems odd but we have always gone to midnight mass Christmas eve. My mother used to make homemade cinnammon rolls after church so they could rise overnight, a tradition I have continued.
    The kids get up, devastate the gifts and I cook breakfast, usually omelets and french toast with some juice and tea. round about mid afternoon we'll get together with the in laws for dinner.

We take it easy Christmas day. It's a day of celebration and reflection. The day after Christmas I always go squirrel hunting. Last year was the first year my son joined me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned

i'd think she'd be from brisbane [they have a professional australian rules football team there called the bears].
    anyways, christmas was supposed to be spent at work this year, again.
    but they don't like to pay us to not work, so i'll be at home all week without pay.
    the family will be stuck together in the house pretty much all day, unless the weather is fair then i'll probably go shooting.
    new years i'll be on location somewhere in north dakota, and i have no idea where the family will be that day/night.

My wife & I will pick up our daughter at the airport and then go to dinner, i.e., if we can find a restaurant that is open. Jeff, even though she lives in Tampa, FL, the temps. down there haven't been so different than those in my neck of the woods, at least in the morning.

I will be going down to the city to collect my 83 year old mother on Christmas eve so she can spend a few days with my wife and I. Being on her own she dosent get to have a roast leg of mutton any more so that is the base of our Christmas dinner. With just the three of us this year it will be a relaxing day. Boxing day will be a day at the river to sit in the shade under a tree for a picnic with a willow stick fire (love that smell) to brew a cup of tea and listen to the sounds of the water and the birds. Will take tyhe 22LR as we often see a rabbit up that way.

Best wishes for a safe, happy, and blessed family celebration to you all.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master

Julie and I have no family that is in the area, so it will be the two of us and the two fur kids.
    No presents, but we are used to that. Julie will make us a nice lunch on X-mas day.
    We give thanks for what we have everyday.
    I hope everyone has a safe holiday and don't eat to much LOL.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Hmm. Christmas Eve I'll have the family over for Ham and a Goose I recently bagged while hunting.. We'll have mashed spuds, gravy, sweet potatoes, caeser salad (I make a mean dressing), garlic bread, and a few other things.. after we pig out, then it's time to open presents.. this year we'll be doing it white elephant style.. with the old "steal a gift" option..

Christmas morning my wife and I will open our presents to each other.. and I already told her I am expecting none since I um.. already bought my own... she is getting several things I failed to get "last year".

It is undecided if we are going to my parent's house or to my Sister's.. I'm hoping it's to the parent's house.. more parking, shorter drive.. we will likely be having prime rib with all the fixins... then I'm thinking of going duck hunting on the 26th.. that would require me to leave Christmas night... undecided yet... I have a good blind, so it'll be a difficult decision..

Boolit Master
    sargenv- if I had a good blind and birds, I'd go for the ducks. My season just about ended last week when most everything around here froze up and the birds left. I'll be checking some small creeks that might be open for any stragglers, but don't expect much.

Boolit Master
    Gail and I have none of our (combined) family living close by. We went to the coast in late November to see the coastal folks and to exchange gifts. I saw my two boys in October during my anual hunting trip North. SO--Christmas day we will enjoy each others company in peace and quiet! Usually we do not give each other gifts at Christmas, rather we donate what we would have spent to those who need it more than we do. Things got a bit tight this year cause the furnace needed to be replaced but we will be able to donate to the food bank and the SPCA in January. We wish every one the degree of happiness we enjoy and wish all a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Christmas Eve My daughters and grand children will vist for the traditional family gift exchange. Christmas Day will be at my oldest daughter's to get stuffed on turkey, dressing, gravy, ham, potato salad, deviled eggs, etc., plus pies of course!

Every one please enjoy the day. Good cheer to all.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I generally work.

Boolit Master

For me it will be the first Christmas in a few years that it will be just me, my two cats and small dog.
    No presents, no Christmas tree
    Will have prime rib for the main meal of the day and most likely sit and watch something on the TV and do some more college home work. Yep no time off for Christmas.
    Isn't how I expected Christmas to be but seems to be the way it ended up.
    I truly hope the new year is a dang site better than this one turned out to be. Someday maybe I can even figure out just what went wrong and why so I don't fall into that spot again in life, but who knows maybe it is just the way my road in life is supposed to be.
    To all of you who will spend it with family and dear friends please remember life is very short and fragile and cherish your loved ones because you never know when or how they could be taken from you.
    Merry Christmas to all my friends here at Castboolits and a very happy New Year.
    ps Please remember our troops fighting for us in your prayers. They do so much for us and ask so little in return.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Working Christmas Eve 2200 to 0800, home by 0900, walk the dog, then go to bed. Get up Christmas afternoon to eat supper and visit with the family till they go to bed.
    mato pezuta
    Just picking brains, mines worn out.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Working, same as last year, but unlike Bruce B, I don't get any overtime or penalties. I wish I had it off cause me an the Missus just moved to a new town where we have no friends or relatives so she will be at home all alone untill I get home. At least she will have the fur kids.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master

Its a working day for me here in Afghanistan but the wife and kids are driving 8 hours today to be home for Christmas week with the Grandparents. They will definitely overeat and have a great time with the rest of the family so thats good to go for me.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Going coyote calling with my wife like every year. No kids to entertain and it is something we enjoy. Besides, there are waaaay to many coyotes around this year.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!