Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Suprise waiting for me at the Door

Boolit Master

Suprise waiting for me at the Door

My Ch champion press from BT sniper's group buy!!!!! GOt to say that was the fastest group buy I have ever been a part of. He got my MO last week. I dont think it would have been faster if I had ordered it myself.

I compared this press to my rockchucker, at first glance It does not appear to be much different, its not that much bigger in size, but it does weight a few pounds more. However the ram is a good deal larger in diameter, then looking at the linkage, the linkage arms are wider, the pins larger in diameter. OVerall the fit and finish was very nice. Now to get my
    .380 dies made.

Vendor Sponsor

Glad to hear you like it. Have not got one for myself yet but probably will soon. Keep us posted. I was pretty impressed too at how quickly the press shipments came together. Maybe more will be interested in future.

Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    I probably wont set it up till after the year. I am running out of room on my bench with 4 presses and all. I am going to make a mounting plate on my benchand tap it for the bolt patterns for my lubrisizers and the press so I can swap them out.

I was looking at a way to make another ram for the press with a threaded top. CH wants $65 for another ram. However Speedy Metals has some stuff called stressproof rod. It is supposed to be naturally hard and wear resistant, but machinable. I can get an 18" piece of 1 1/4 for $15 or so and turn it myself to diameter, but I have no way of machining the end for the slot to attach the linkage.

Boolit Bub
    You always can make the slot the hard way like our forefathers, by hand, better with the help of a die grinder, or have a machinist do it for about the cost of a new ram.

By the way the ram diameter is 30mm, so you don't have to turn it much if you get metric rod stock.

The easiest way is to cut off the top of the ram and drill and tap it for 1/2-20, then screw on the CH4D Part#407190, H-Ram, 1/2-20 thread, 3/8 Center Hole for $ 10.37. You are probably not going to need a spare ram any way unless you have a way to break the one in the press.

Vendor Sponsor

I heard the ram was 1 3/16" talking with CH but whatever works. I do agree that a threaded ram is the way to go for swaging though.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Bub
    CH4D website state the ram is 1.185" in diameter, that's very close to 1 3/16" or 1.1875", 2.5 mills difference in diameter. 30mm is 1.181" 4 mills smaller then 1.185". I wonder how tight the ram fits in the hole. 1-3/16" 1018 Cold Roll Steel at Speedy Metal sells at $5/ft plus shipping.
    Last edited by techlava; 12-17-2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Additional information.

Boolit Master
    It fits very tight, no wobble whatsoever. I have not disassembled it to mike the hole, but I would suspect it is less than .001 fit.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Question "mills"?

Quote Originally Posted by techlava View Post
    CH4D website state the ram is 1.185" in diameter, that's very close to 1 3/16" or 1.1875", 2.5 mills difference in diameter. 30mm is 1.181" 4 mills smaller then 1.185". I wonder how tight the ram fits in the hole. 1-3/16" 1018 Cold Roll Steel at Speedy Metal sells at $5/ft plus shipping.
    I think you have your unit of measurement conversion is all whacked out.

"Millls"? Please explain what unit of measurements mills are.

No one in the machine shop / manufacturing industry uses such a unit of measurement. Inch or metric system is the norm, but MILLS, never heard of it that unit being applied to machining.

But then again, those with the least amount of machining experience seem to offer the most information.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Mills is just another way of saying thousandths. Like plastic bags that measure such and so mills thick? Sometimes I say Ks, referring to thousandths. I knew what he meant.

Boolit Master
    whatever it is, I have a lathe, and can turn it to diameter,, drill and thread, just not a big enough mill to handle that job. I guess I could god it out with a drillpress and anglel grinder, but that would look like **** and probably make the linkage wobble.

I might have to ask a favor with a local guy who has a Bridgeport. If not, Maybe some of the other members on here would step up to the plate.