Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Valley free hazmat on primers

Boolit Master

Frank, the reason I ask is because I didn't know whether to take you seriously, or if you were just ranting, or blowing off steam, or. . . Anyway, I just wanted a second opinion ( a third or fourth would help!).
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    Well lucky for me I've got enough Nosler Partiitions and a few other boutique bullets to last most of the rest of my life in 7mm, .308, .338 and .416 bought well before prices went up, back when copper was going for less that $70 a hundred, now that is is 5 times that, yes, it is going to be more expensive, but oh well, it's stilll way cheaper (and IMO, more accurate for the most part) than buying factory rounds. I still will buy Nosler Ballistic Tips for my .223's and .22-250's, they are still pretty good at $40 or a might less for 250.
    I did stock up with 2600 "free" Hornady J words with the purchase of 3 LNL's, and one Hornady LNL powder measure too in the last 3 years, so that helps some too.
    Ammunition and reloading components are coming down, it's all supply/demand, I just hope it doesn't break the company's that have to purchase raw materials high, but can't sell the markup as the demand isn't there, it is a true concern, and the reason most did not jump on board with adding huge capital investments when the shortage was on a couple of years ago. That would be tragic, and would lead to much higher prices in the future as well as most componants being manufactured overseas also.
    Buy some J words Frank, support the USA.
    Also, annoying at times, as I'm sure I am to him, I rather enjoy Frank.

ADMIN

I bought 1k tula large pistol.
    I had issues with two of my pistols

Banned
    Gunnerd:
    Frank, the reason I ask is because I didn't know whether to take you seriously, or if you were just ranting, or blowing off steam, or. . . Anyway, I just wanted a second opinion ( a third or fourth would help!).
    No problem. I'm glad you asked.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I bought 1k tula large pistol.
    I had issues with two of my pistols
    What issues? primers are still few and far between so i was eyeballing this sale pretty hard.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .357 View Post
    What issues? primers are still few and far between so i was eyeballing this sale pretty hard.
    +1 I need small pistol primers too. This would be a good opportunity to get some one lb bottles of powder to try without going broke on haz mat and shipping.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Guessing that somethings have more of a perceived value others .But the labor overall should be close -hit the green button on the CNC
    machine. Hit the red/stop when you made enough.
    Plus packaging all that counting to 100 and the bags and boxes. . Heck barrel drill a hole pour in a little acid and box simple . It's the perceived value
    or perceived shortages that add to sale price .
    Just kidding

Boolit Master
    i have sold/used somewhere between 400,000 and 500,000 tula/wolf primers.
    most of mine have been rifle large , small and 223. no issues.....

most issues that have surfaced have been traced to improper installation or in one case a gun issue.
    when the wolf were tested in 223 with cci and winchester.......the wolf came out significantly ahead. the small rifle mag and large and large rifle mag are used by benchrest shooters over fed match primers.

if you have an issue with a wolf or tula primer....look for the cause, not the symptom.

all primer companies have had primer failures.......most are very seldom.....

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

ADMIN

I had 1K large Primers.
    I had two different pistols and I tested 100 rds
    Both pistols were custom guns.

Pistol 1 - S&W 4553tsw was modified by Performance shop to SA/DA (was factory DAO gun)
    Pistol 2 - S&W Mod 28 (converted to a 1955 mod 25)

Pistol one - Bang, click, click Bang, click, bang, click, bang, bang, click, click, bang
    Pistol two wasn't as bad as #1. About 1 every 6 had to be hit twice.

With pistol one they all did fire. Some had to struck 2 or 3 times. i checked all 2nd strike primers and they had DEEP impacts so it wasn't a light strike problem.

I loaded up the ones with CCI primers and they went BANG in both guns every time.

They were also harder to seat in the case. I had about 6K nickle plated 45 acp cases. When I was loading and ran into the seating issue, I grabbed some nickle cases that had been over polished to almost brass. Still had seating issues.
    I polish, deprime and polish again. I even used a pocket cleaner brush and still was hard sitting.

I use a Dillon 550 press.

I was in the middle of loading 1K rounds of ammo. I was around the 800 rd mark when I ran out of CCI primers and switched to Tula. I loaded 200rds with the Tulas.

They may work just fine for you but for me it was a waste of $20.

Boolit Master
    HATCH,
    There has been much discussion about Wolf (same-same Tula) primers. The consesus seems to be that non-ignition/multiply strike problems were due to improper seating.

My Wolf experience, with small pistol, small pistol magnum, large pistol and large rifle, is that, yes, they are a bit bigger, require a bit more seating force, and an inspection to confirm that they are seated properly. Since I hand prime, that has not been an issue, however those who press prime may run into problems. To me, it's no different than any other step in the reloading process...an inspection is necessary to make sure all is as it should be.

I've never had a Wolf primer that didn't ignite upon the first trigger pull. My only primer failure was a Winchester.

If I could afford to take advantage of Powder Valley's current offer I would. In a heartbeat.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I bought 5K of Wolf small rifle a while back. I've gone through about 400 of them with no problem. I was at the range last week shooting my 45 ACP. My primers for that bullet were CCI. I had 6 clicks out of about 150 rounds. I tried each no-fire cartridge several times with a deep strike on the primer each time and still no fire. I will pull those bullets when I have time so that I can punch the primers out and examine them. I've ran into this problem with CCI before and when I punched the primers out last time and examined them, there was no primer material in the cup. There was just a shiney bottom in the cup.

On Edit, Yes the primers were seated well and in good brass. I'll know the story when I pull them for inspection.

On second edit: Back to topic.......That is a great deal from PV. I deal with PV a lot. Actually lately most all of my powder and primers come form them. I also buy bullets for my AR from them. Their prices are hard to beat even without the free S&H & Hazmat. I usually buy in bulk from them to offset those charges but if someone is looking for a deal then now is the time to jump on it.......
    Last edited by Down South; 12-20-2010 at 10:10 PM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy
    Think if the primer goes bang its good .Think that with a CUSTOM or Tuned gun it's the gun.All
    of my Custom auto and REVO I stick with FEDERAL Primers and have no problems. Just my 2 cents worth