MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deer skinning made easy

Banned

deer skinning made easy

we shoot lots of deer doing crop damage shooting. Some years over a 100 and i HATE skinning deer. I just bought an air skinner. Its a deal that uses an air compressor to inflate the hide and make it much easier to remove. I was skeptical but was willing to try it for the 30 bucks it cost. How be dammed if this thing doesnt actually work.

Saw one used a few years back...pretty cool !

Banned

That sounds like a good idea. I bought one of those claws from Cabela's. We have also yanked them with a car and rope tied around a ball in the neck skin.

Banned

Do you have a picture of how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    we shoot lots of deer doing crop damage shooting. Some years over a 100 and i HATE skinning deer. I just bought an air skinner. Its a deal that uses an air compressor to inflate the hide and make it much easier to remove. I was skeptical but was willing to try it for the 30 bucks it cost. How be dammed if this thing doesnt actually work.
    Only way this thng is of any use is if I can get my wife to use it.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never seen or heard of such a thing. But after going to the Air Skinner website and watching the video, there will be one with me next year. Looks like a great product and like you Lloyd, I hate skinning.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried that last year with one deer and my 2gal air compressor, didnt work for me. Porbably cause of my small air compressor and my nozzle attachment (saw it on Youtube). Finished that deer and another deer with a rock tied in the hide and yanked it off with the truck. Took the hide and the shoulder (that was shot) off on both deer.

Boolit Master
    Don't shoot'em with a shotgun first ..........

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Interesting... Bet you've got to have a pretty good compressor though.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

In Remembrance
    It is the thought of the skinning job that has always made me hold off on that elephant hunt...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Slaughter houses/rending plants been using air to separate the hide for a long time - still a dirty job in one of those places but makes it go a lot faster.

Banned
    I let the processor take care of that job LOL.

My guy charges under 100 bucks for dressing, butchering and packaging. I feel it's worth 2X that LOL

Banned

I could buy a good used car every year for what it would cost me to have a butcher cut up my deer! Now when I shoot something bigger like a buffalo i will then have a butcher do it. But even if i had one deer the 100 bucks they charge sure isnt worth the 40lbs of meat you get back.

Boolit Master
    That video lead me to another of 2 guys trying to use a vehicle to pull the skin off.
    They tied the head up in a tree and the rope to a vehicle and pulled the head off.
    I got a good laugh out of that one.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    skinning is so easy I don't understand the fuss. Take and cut the deer around the neck and lower leg. Take a golf ball and insert it under the neck hide about 3-4 inches down from your cut. Tie a piece of heavy cord under the golf ball with the hide. Tie a piece of rope in a slip knot over the golf ball and attach to rear bumper or trailer hitch. The deer should be hanging by the neck off the ground with rump towards ground. Ease forward and watch the truck do all the work. I can do the entire prep in 10 minutes easy. I don't know how they did that unless they used no golf ball. I will be willing to make a wager as I have skinned deer this way for over 35 years.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

But even if i had one deer the 100 bucks they charge sure isnt worth the 40lbs of meat you get back.
    You must be hunting somewhere down around SW Texas way where the rack is half the critters weight.

Banned
    I could buy a good used car every year for what it would cost me to have a butcher cut up my deer! Now when I shoot something bigger like a buffalo i will then have a butcher do it. But even if i had one deer the 100 bucks they charge sure isnt worth the 40lbs of meat you get back.
    NY=2 deer.

last year, a buck and a doe cost me 122.37.

My time>My money. I'd rather do something else than spend 2-3 hours per deer butchering. Shoot, gut, dress, toss in truck, drop off on way home, get phone call 24 hours later, pick up nice wrapped hunks of chilled meat.

I know my guy gets like 60 bucks an hour from me, but I"m paying for the convenience, and his skills.

Much like my Gunsmithing customers pay me to sight in scopes. Takes me 15 min and I charge WAAAY more than I should.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    It is the thought of the skinning job that has always made me hold off on that elephant hunt...
    for me it was the uphill drag
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Great skinning idea!

And while I'm not overly happy to do the butchering, I am picky about my cuts and how it comes back.

In short, there are good cuts of meat and good cuts poorly cut just because that is the way a butcher does it.

So, like or not, I cut my meat and then enjoy quality eating for my efforts.

I want my roasts to not have wild grain patterns and same with the steaks.

One small steak with proper grain pattern/direction is worth a dozen big but cross grained steaks any day!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

http:// I use a old crane but if you made a rack and used a boat winch iam sure it do the same thing. I use a golfball at base of crane hook hide to it then winch the deer out of the skin. Also splitting the hide down the back not the belly helps alot. I tried the aircompresser was scared the deer was going to explode did help out some but not like the crane trick.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast