Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: deer skinning made easy

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Well, unlike the OP, I don't kill that many deer. Sounds like fun though. I usually kill 4-6 deer a year. That's all I need. Skinning can be a pain but it doesn't take me long. I process all of my deer meat from start to finish. I have the Lem grinder, tenderizer, meat mixer and vacuum sealer. I've put two on the ground so far this year and I really like to process two at a time.
    Last week, I made 50 lbs of sausage and a lot of ground meat. The only fry meat I kept out of both deer was the tenderloin. I even ground the back straps up.
    We use a lot more ground meat than fry meat.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    I generally removing the hide within a hour or two ' while it's still warm ' just because it comes off so much smother , but sometimes it doesn't work out something comes up . I think I'm going to give that air skinning a try on the next one . I lost my walk in cooler this year and the use of the forklift when I closed down my fish house this year, so yesterday I hung one behind my home in a tree like I did when I was a very young man .

Boolit Master
    I used to be a Skinner at a processer. Most got done in 5 to 10min unless it was a cape out. No fancy tools, just a meat hook into neck just below jaw and a good sharp knife. I prefer 3in long and blade that was bout 5/16 at widest point with big handle. We had em custom ground from the worn out butch knifes. Used a old circler saw to cut legs off just above knee. Slit up each front leg comming together in center of breast. Slit from chest opening to top of neck. Loop around neck just past ears. While pulling ears start to separate hide.once the ears are free use them as handles to help skin neck out. Once half way down use your knee to pull hide off. Used to work 14hr shifts in high school, my hands hurt thinking about it

Boolit Master
    I used to watch the guys at Caddo Corner in Caddo, Stephens County , Texas skin deer in about 7 or 8 minutes. Cut around the neck and the front legs. They rolled a baseball size rock in the hide pulled down the back of the neck. They tied a rope around the rock and to the front bumper of an old jeep. One guy backed the jeep up slowly and the other caught the hide as it pulled off.
    Last edited by EDG; 11-12-2018 at 04:16 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I used my air compresson on a racoon last year. Just cut a small hole in a back leg, stuck the end of the nozzle and blew it up a little at a time. You could see the skin separating from the body. All I wanted was the skin, to try to brain tan it. Certainly a lot less time consuming than using a knife.

Boolit Master

I don't have problems skinning deer, because I do it while still warm. For that price I'll stick with what I am doing, looks cool, but unnecessary for me. And I'd have to trot my generator and air compressor out to my place every hunting season. What I may get, is a pair of these, my hands have started to cramp up now and then so these would help me maintain a grip without cramping up.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I probably won't go hunting again this season , but I think on my next harvest I'm going to stop by my local tire service station and try to blow the hide loose on my way home . I watched a couple videos the only problem I saw was using to much air and blowing the bum hole .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123