Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Contender Carbine, 45-70-Lighties

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Contender Carbine, 45-70-Lighties

I was in the market for a 45 Colt carbine barrel for a Contender carbine I am putting together. Then I found a good deal on a 17" Contender Carbine barrel in 45-70 with a Muzzle Tamer(included in the 17").

I am looking for some light loads for this new Carbine. I was thinking TrapDoor loads for the light, short barreled Carbine. It will be used for woods hunting only. But I would like the load to be effective to about 150 yards if it had to be. But then we all know a TrapDoor load is fully effective to 150 yards.

So what light loads do you guys like. Please keep in mind that this is a short barrel. So I think I need a powder that burns fairly fast??

Anyone think I might have any luck with RL-7 or 2400?? With or without a crimp?? Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.
    What velocity would you guys go for?? 1200?? 1100?? Or slightly less?? Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master
    I had a 14 inch Contender barrel and in a hand gun it was too much for my liking even with light loads. I also had a contender carbine in 375 Win. and with full loads you knew you had a rifle that kicked hard. With a muzzle brake a rood load for you may be a bullet between 300 and 350 with 16 gr of unique or 27 gr of AA 5744 both are accurate in my Guide Gun and not too bad for recoil.

Boolit Master
    With a 350 gr bullet, whatever muzzle velocity you need to have a terminal velocity of 850-900 fps at the maximum range you will be hunting will take down any deer, hog, or medium size black bear I have ever seen. I suspect that would mean a muzzle velocity of under 1100 fps.
    There are no degrees of dead so there is no need to beat yourself up to accomplish that on the critter you are pointing that carbine at.

Banned

ive got one with a 16.5 inch barrel and it gets a steady diet of ranch dog 350s pushed by 20 grains of 2400. Anymore and it can be a handfull. I once got some marlin level loads using a 450 grain bullt mixed in with the ammo i had for it and for the most part my dad uses the gun and he came back with a pretty severe bruise on his shoulder from cranking off just one. I tried it myself and had to agree that it was a bit over the top.

Lloyd has the right mixture.
    RD bullet or the RCBS 300 with 20-26 grains 2400 should be fine in a carbine...but it's a handfull with the pistol stock like my set up.
    You may consider 10 to15 grains of Unique as an alternative, with a dacron tuft.in my contender and sharps and roller, it's very accurate.
    Moving to the Reloader 7, I'm certain you'll NOT enjoy the recoil at normal loads.