RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Trail boss 2400 and xterminator in the 7.62x39..

Trail boss 2400 and xterminator in the 7.62x39..

i have just aquired a pound of each (tb 9 oz) and was looking to find the best load out of the 3.. has anybody done any testing of either powder im looking for a good plinking load that will cycle the action of my akv .. i have did some load development with the x terminator and it has given me good results but i am left with a ton of unburnt powder...

any loads or suggestions from you guys would be helpful thanks...

Boolit Master
    I use a 155 gr. NEI GC bullet sized to .313" pushed downrange by 13.0 gr.of 2400 powder. This load just barely cycles my AR-15 but is perfect for my SAR-1.

I don't think you'll get Trail Boss loads to cycle the action and X-terminater might be a little on the slow side for burn rate which could lead to dirty burning.

John

yea i may just end up getting the trail boss out for the 30 30 cast loads..or a ultra light load for my nephews..ive had decent results wth x terminator but as you said its a dirty burn cant get it to burn completly allthough it is listed for the x39 .. its the only one of the three i found published load data for...im going to try the 2400 first ive heard so much praise on this powder for a good load in the x39 i figured i would give it a shot...does the 2400 give you a complete burn?

Boolit Master
    I get excellent accuracy, no leading, and no cycling problems. Based on that I'd say it's burning clean.

John

When I used to have a Rossi single shot in 7.62x39 I used some x-terminator, but only with jacketed bullets. Like johnly said, its a little slow for the little Russian and like a lot of ball powders, it doesn't burn well without being up to pressure so cast loads will leave some bore trash. I sent an email to Ramshot (they are very helpful with loads for caliber/powder combinations they don't list in their manual, by the way) and got data for jacketed bullets. Here's what I got from them.

Andy,
    We suggest as indicated below.
    However, this is not the ideal powder and will take some compression to make work at near optimal levels.

Caliber: 7.62 x 39 Russian
    Barrel length: 20”
    Powder: Ramshot – X - Terminator.

Bullet weight: 110 grains.
    Start load: 27.5grains (2250 – 2350 Ft/p/sec)
    Maximum load: 30.5 grains (2450 – 2550 Ft/p/sec). Full case/Compressed

Bullet weight: 123-125 grains.
    Start load: 26.0grains (2100 – 2200 Ft/p/sec)
    Maximum load: 29.0grains (2300 – 2400 Ft/p/sec). Full case/Compressed

Bullet weight: 150 grains.
    Start load: 24.0grains (2000 – 2100 Ft/p/sec)
    Maximum load: 27.0grains (2200 – 2300 Ft/p/sec). Full case/Compressed

NOTES:
    It’ important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.
    1. TO ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM “START” LOAD.
    2. If at all possible, measure the velocity and correlate with our data.

Regards
    Johan Loubser
    Ballistician
    Ramshot/Accurate Powders
    Tel: (406) 234 04 22 email: johan@ramshot.com
    Western Powders Inc -- Miles City – Montana.

thanks guys... the 2400 was a fast cycle and put the brass out pretty far from my gun when ejected... yes ive seen the nasty nasty mess left behind by xterminator at 16.8 gr can leave...no leading or cycleing issues though ..as far as accuracy and recoil reduction to bb gun like levels the Trail bosss was the winner, just very doubtful it will cycle the action at any load..im goiong to work with the 2400 a bit and see what i can pull from this powder and load...

also does anyone have any chornograph data for any 2400 loads in x39 with a 16 inch barrell
    ... i would like to shoot them ungas checked...

Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post
    I use a 155 gr. NEI GC bullet sized to .313" pushed downrange by 13.0 gr.of 2400 powder. This load just barely cycles my AR-15 but is perfect for my SAR-1.

I don't think you'll get Trail Boss loads to cycle the action and X-terminater might be a little on the slow side for burn rate which could lead to dirty burning.

John
    do you have any chronograph data on that load? im back at it but this time with a ar 15 myself tried the x terminator and its still up to its dirty tricks so im moveing to 2400 and 170 gr cast looking into getting the 300 aac blackout mold from midwayusa my goal this time is to find a load that is sub sonic 1000fps or less that will still cycle the action of my ar

Boolit Bub
    Alliant originally published load data for jacketed using 2400 before they came up with RL7. If I rember correctly it was 17.0 gr. which naturally is a max load. Reduce by 10%. I used the Lyman 311410 bullet . As accurate as surplus ammo.

Boolit Master

I got to 16 grains of 2400 in my Yugo SKS, and started to get pressure warning signs; never did cycle. I gave up on 2400.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')