Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin model 81DL

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    When I was a lad, groundhogs would run for their hole if they saw you coming for them with an 81 DL loaded with Remington High Speed Golden Hollow Points (@ .49/box).

With DCM issue Remington Target LR they sometimes stopped to verify you had them in a DL. Either way they had to be fast to make the run.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

I have an 80 DL and a 80 sears branded and both are tack drivers.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    I do not know if your 80 DL has the threads we are talking about the same. My 81 DL is all original and your solid screw sight retainer is another aperture on mine. There may have been some model differences. BvT
    Well, Baron, you were excatly right about that sight. I thought I had a complete sight,but, in fact, mine is missing one of the apertures. I saw a photo of an 81DL that had both apertures & one was screwed into the side of the sight - into the locknut. I took my aperture out of the sight ring & after blowing out 40 years of dust & crud, my aperture screwed right into it.

I'm missing the other aperture. The one I have is extremely small hole - if it's not good & bright outside, forget it.

Dang!

Sorry to doubt you Baron.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Well OBXPilgrim, just take your peep with you to the gunshows and find one with matching threads and a small hole. The hole you can drill out to what suits your conditions.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

Your local gun shop or gunsmith should have something to fit if the threads are the standard peep sight threads that every one seemed to use.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Nope ! Not all peepsight aperture threads are the same. That's why you take the peep with you to find a thread match. Especially confusing now that the Italians and metrics are involved these days. BvT

BvT

Boolit Master
    Or go to Apertures-n-more. For a couple of bucks your problem is solved.

Boolit Man
    I acquired one of these old rifles about 2 weeks ago, the stock is in fair shape part of the peep was missing but got parts coming. only bad part is all of the tube magazine parts are missing. (tube outer, tube inner, and the parts on the receiver) so I have been using it as a single shot. I would like to at some time find the rest of the parts and make it a repeater again.

Search extensively something like Marlin 81 DL parts. There are several large part shops specializing in parts. I don't mean places like Numrich, but check them too.

BvT

BvT

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Well I finally have gotten around to shooting the 81 with Long Rifle ammo. The accuracy was good as I suspected it would be. The problem with this particular rifle is in feeding a round from the magazine into the chamber. The round is lifted up at a steep angle such that the bullet is at the 12 o'clock position just above the chamber. I press down on the nose of the round while moving the bolt forward until it engages the chamber in order to get it to feed. I gently bent the forward carrier lips so as to give some more holding power to the cartridge and that helped lower the angle some but before going further with this bending thing I wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this sort of problem and a possible solution. Thanks all.
    I have the same exact problem with my 81-DL and would be curious to hear back if you found any way to correct that issue? I was able to fully restore and fix everything else up perfectly with that being my only problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Well I finally have gotten around to shooting the 81 with Long Rifle ammo. The accuracy was good as I suspected it would be. The problem with this particular rifle is in feeding a round from the magazine into the chamber. The round is lifted up at a steep angle such that the bullet is at the 12 o'clock position just above the chamber. I press down on the nose of the round while moving the bolt forward until it engages the chamber in order to get it to feed. I gently bent the forward carrier lips so as to give some more holding power to the cartridge and that helped lower the angle some but before going further with this bending thing I wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this sort of problem and a possible solution. Thanks all.
    You might try checking that the extractors are functioning correctly. If too stiff, they won't allow the round to go up between them and feed straight into the chamber. If the springs are too weak, the round will pop out the top or nose will droop.

Jack First may have those parts. They got'em for my 57.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12