Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7MM MAG. & CAST BULLETS

Boolit Master
    One of the few virtues of any magnum cartridge is the ability to use up stocks of very slow powder. I'll bet a lot of us have a jug or two of 5010 or WC870/860. This stuff goes bang good in the big seven and works pretty good with cbs. Not being able to resist a bargain, I bought a lifetime supply back when it was really cheap, gotta do something with it. I'd bet you could find a good load with 860 for your 7mm/06. The worst bloodshot deer I ever saw was one shot in the shoulder close up with a .270. I saw it hangin' in the next camp over and asked the guy if he used a hand grenade, he didn't think that was as funny as I did.

Boolit Master

Wc 860

HI,
    I acually do use WC 860 IN MY 7MM/06. w/ the 168gr. lyman gc bullet.
    Kicks like my jacked 145 gr. speers. Can hit my 12x17"steel plate W/ it consistantly at 200yds. Makes a real loud ring.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    AS THE COST OF THE j-BULLETS GOES OUT OF REACH, I may have to work up a cast deer lode.
    But am a little concerned that the 7MM bore may be a bit too small for good results.

Boolit Mold
    First post guys so be lieniant if you will.
    I had a Beeman kodiak 25 caliber pellet rifle and never used it.So I took it to a Tyler Texas gun show. Walked in and no sooner was approached by a Police officer in plain clothes. He asked me what plans I had for the weapon so I said I wanted a good deer gun for my area.
    He asked me if I'd trade I said I might be inclined so he lead me to his table and offered me an even trade for a Weatherby Vanguard
    I looked at it and it was in 7mm Mag and very decent at that. Soo I glombed onto it after lookin' it over, did the deal and went by a Gan~~~ Moun~~~~ ( not sure I should mention the name) bought 2 boxes of the Remington 7mm Mag in 140 grain Reduced Recoil and brought it home, showed it to my nextdoor neighbor and we tested it on his home range for 100 yd shooting.
    First shot was high and to the left so we adjusted it (Oh did I mention it has a Banner scope on it too second shot tore out the left rim of the red Bulls Eye so we adjusted it again two more shots and Ken said it was ready for the woods.
    The round is about like the '06 which I really liked so now I want to assemble loads for cast in about 165 grain lead with My mixture of Linotype lead and a touch of 60-40 plumbers lead. Hard cast I've used with my Remington 740 I've had for a while.
    Now any comments or suggestions?
    Jag

Boolit Master
    welcome to the madness!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

I am all' but ezpert in reloading the 7mm RM but as You asked for a 2700 fps round I can gave You my takes:
    Barnes Tipped TSX 150 gr after 55 gr Viht n160: 2567 fps
    "" "" "" "" 56 gr "" : 2612 fps
    "" "" "" "" 57 gr "" : 2834 fps
    As always this works on my rifle and I assume no responsability for using this recipes. But seems that if You work within a starting loads from 54 to 56 You can reach the goal with Viht or equivalent powder. I am still developing rounds for this rifle but at 200mt I had good 1 moa groups. No pressure signes. Coal 83,5 mm
    ps, nevertheless I don't think I will try shooting cast trhough this rifle. Some calibers are lead friendly, withs some others is a real gimnick. I did some testing on Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser once and had been a terrible waste of time. And so on a short barrelled Browning 308. I deserve casting for 45/70 and 30-30 and am way more happy
    Last edited by Motard; 12-09-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Too bad english

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The goal is 2700 FPS with a 150 grain bullet--basically, turn the rifle into a 7 x 57.
    On my Rem bdl I git very consistent groups at 200 mt with Barnes TTX 150gr in front of 56,6 gr of Viht n160. Speed is 2624 fps.

In Remembrance

Back in 1980 I started working on loads for 2 rifles in 7 Rem Mag for an antelope hunt the following year. My rifle was a `tweaked` Interarms Mk X and the other rifle was a Kleingunther K 15 instafire. After 6 months and trying about any combination of a cartridge I could try I found the `sweet spot` for both. Using the Hodgon powder and mag primers from 1980 and not today the load was H-4831 MAX load, Fed Mag primers, Federal virgin brass trimmed and prepped all topped with a Speer 145 gr. sp. The K 15 would put 3 bullets into the same hole at 275 yds! My Mauser would make a 3 leaf clover with no center hole. My antelope was taken at 310 yds and the K 15 buck was at 320, both 1 shot drops. Mule deer and carbiou also were 1 shot drops at near the same distances. Robert