Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7MM MAG. & CAST BULLETS

Boolit Master

7MM MAG. & CAST BULLETS

HI,
    I have been spending most of my time on the old site, printing off alot of stuff as I don"t know how long it will be funtioning. There is so much good stuff there that I could miss out on if I don't print it now.
    Anyway I noticed DEPUDY AL had asked about the 7MM MAG. so here is the work I've done W/ it in a REM. 700 CUSTOM THROATED FOR THE 160 GR. BULLET.
    I used the Lyman 168 gr. gc. #287308 cast bullet ,out of WW air cooled, & no fillers.
    14.5 grs of 700X gave me good groups. you can start at 13grs & go up to 16grs.
    16 gr. of GREEN DOT also gave good groups, you can start at 14.5 grs. & go up to 18 grs.
    If anyone ealse has pet loads, or loads W/ H2O dropped WW. , or loads W/ fillers I would like to hear about their experances.

Boolit Grand Master
    Boom Boom--

Your info about 2 SEE incidents gave me a little pause. I currently have 50 rounds loaded with 56.0 grains of IMR-4350 under Sierra 150 BTSP's, which gives about 90% case fill. One element in this hunt that causes me a little concern is the almost complete lack of load info in 7 Rem Mag using mildly reduced loads. Makes ya wonder why no one goes there.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Dep.Al: My Hornaday 4th Ed.shows 51.8 gr.Imr 4350 with any of their 154 gr Jxxxx bullets. I'd guess you have some room on the downside,,, Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Banned
    Deputy Al

If someone wanted reduced 7 Mag loads they would have bought a 7x57 Mauser in the first place. That word Magnum tacked on to it means this is a specialized tool for hunting or long range shooting, although rounds like the 280 and the 7x64 can just about kick it's ass. Kinda like a 454 Vette with dual quads, you sure don't buy that for a daily driver.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I didn't and wouldn't buy such a beast. It belongs to a partner of mine, and I'm trying to develop its manners into a reasonable hunting rifle. I just want to do so safely.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

7mm Mag. Research

HI,
    THE Lyman 45th edition reloading hanbook is a good resource but I don't use it's bottom suggested loads anymore, as I cosider them unsafe, at least w/ IMR 4350 & IMR 4320. I'm sure you have a copy so I won't list alot of possible loads here.
    It is pleasent to shoot w/ lighter bullets. Another option is to magnaport it, or get a muzzlebreak.
    The Lyman (45th) book lists a 120 gr. which I've tried, a 125gr., a 130 gr., a 140gr., a 145gr. which I like alot for deer, a 150gr. which I've tried, a 154gr., a 160gr. which I've tried, a 165gr., a 168gr. which I've shot, & a 175gr. ouch yes I had to shoot it too.
    The Speer 1979 book which you probibly have as well lists a 115gr. which I've shot (fun), a 130gr., a 145gr. a great bullet , a 160gr., & a 175gr. after about 20 I don't really want to shoot anymore.
    I've also shot the hornady 162gr SPBT which is about the best bullet ballisticly & great for UT. elk. I've also shot the Norma 110gr. alot (fun).
    There is also a 195 gr. but I don't think you are interested in that!
    I think you will be ok w/ the 154gr. & IMR 4350 AS LONG AS YOU STAY AT 56-60 GRS. I don't think you need the 154gr. for deer. You can do very good w/ the Speer 145gr SPBT on Ut. Mule deer.

Boolit Master

7mm Mag. Research

HI,
    THE Lyman 45th edition reloading hanbook is a good resource but I don't use it's bottom suggested loads anymore, as I cosider them unsafe, at least w/ IMR 4350 & IMR 4320. I'm sure you have a copy so I won't list alot of possible loads here.
    It is pleasent to shoot w/ lighter bullets. Another option is to magnaport it, or get a muzzlebreak.
    The Lyman (45th) book lists a 120 gr. which I've tried, a 125gr., a 130 gr., a 140gr., a 145gr. which I like alot for deer, a 150gr. which I've tried, a 154gr., a 160gr. which I've tried, a 165gr., a 168gr. which I've shot, & a 175gr. ouch yes I had to shoot it too!
    The Speer 1979 book which you probibly have as well lists a 115gr. which I've shot (fun), a 130gr., a 145gr. a great bullet , a 160gr., & a 175gr. after about 20 I don't really want to shoot anymore.
    I've also shot the hornady 162gr SPBT which is about the best bullet ballisticly & great for UT. elk. I've also shot the Norma 110gr. alot (fun).
    There is also a 195 gr. but I don't think you are interested in that!
    I think you will be ok w/ the 154gr. & IMR 4350 AS LONG AS YOU STAY AT 56-60 GRS. I don't think you need the 154gr. for deer. You can do very good w/ the Speer 145gr SPBT on Ut. Mule deer.
    If you want to hear more about any of the ones I've shot drop me a line.
    I've put 3-4,000 j-rounds out of the 7MM MAG. BUT NOW ONLY USE IT FOR ELK. When I was younger, unmarried, & tougher I'ed shoot 100 rounds off every other sat. Its a great 600yd gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    The goal is 2700 FPS with a 150 grain bullet--basically, turn the rifle into a 7 x 57. This Ruger 77 is the guy's first serious centerfire rifle, and he's more a boat enthusiast than a shooter/hunter.

You don't hear much about it, but the FBI has used the 7mm Rem Mag as a sniping caliber along with the 223 and 308. With close chambering and good target bullets, the 7mm Mag can shoot VERY accurately. If a caliber can compete successfully with the 308 group-wise, it has considerable merit.

Banned
    Deputy Al

There's no reason why a 7mag can't shoot good. I know guys that get 1/2 inch groups from sporter 300 win mags and those babies are real blasters and have more recoil then the 7 mag. I can't remember my exact groups when I had my Sako 7 mag but they were definately way below 1 1/2 inchs at 100 yards and I did buy it for a hunting rifle not a target shooter. My Sako was an early Deluxe model in that it had the heavier thicker stock and it wasn't too bad at all to shoot recoil wise. Your reduced load will be more pleasant to shoot.

Joe

Boolit Master

Opps, You Said 150 Not 154gr.

HI,
    THE OLDER 44TH EDITION & THE 45TH ED. WOULD SAY 54GR. OF IMR 4350, AS A STARTER BUT DON'T! Your choice of 56grs. is much better for the 150 gr bullet.
    The SPEER book also suggests you are in the right starting area.
    I have seen data suggesting any where from 54grs. WHICH I WON'T USE , up to 67grs.
    I have shot the NORMA 110 gr. (fast & fun), 150gr., & 160gr. all SPBT. THE 150 & 160 GR. are able to give 1 shot kills on elk.
    I have shot the REM.,WIN., & SPEER 175GR. punishing.
    I have shot the HORNADY 120gr. (fun),the 162GR. SPBT GREAT FOR ELK, the last also gave me 3/4 " GROUPS.
    I have shot the SPEER 115GR ( fast & fun), and the the 145gr. SPBT GREAT FOR DEER W/ 3/4 " GROUPS .
    To my knowledge ther is at least 27 different J-bullet wts. you can get for the 7MM in wts. from 100grs. to 200grs.

Boolit Master

Some Old 1000yd. Match Guns

HI,
    Some of the old 1000yd. match rifles were in the 300 wim mag necked down to 7MM. , some in the 375 H & H necked down to 7MM.
    I' ve always wanted a 7MM mauser in a strong action ( like a 98 mauser) myself. I know it would be a fun rifle .
    It is probibly even better round for cast than my 7mm/06. I kick myself for not buying one when they were around & cheap enough for me to afford.

Boolit Master

To Deputy Al

HI,
    I would be very interesrted in any work you do w/ cast bullets in the 7MM Mag. especally in the 2000'/s range or above.

Boolit Grand Master
    Will do, Boom Boom. The rifle's owner is a full-on River Rat, and he's out dragging skiers around on Lake Havasu this time of year. Boat people--sheesh. At least this one is willing to fish out of his ski sled--which is pretty unique.

Boolit Master

LEAD BULLETS & THE 7MM MAG.

HI,
    My work w/ the 7MM Mag. w/ a lead bullet has been w/ the 168gr. gc. Lyman # 287308. So far with slower squib loads (1200-1500'/s) & air cooled WW metal. Groups have always been about 2", but this is w/ unsorted cases & unwieghed bullets.

Boolit Master

Question Dupety Al Et Al

HI,
    Has anyone done any new work w/ the 7mm mag.?

Boolit Master
    I have mostly relegated my 7 mag to heathen bullets. Tried for a long time to get a good cast load, and the onliest one I came up with that was even half way decent was the RCBS 7mm-168-SP over [I think] 30/3031 and dacron wad. This cartridge is not necessarily cast boolit friendly, comparitively speaking, with its shorty neck and biggy boiler room, but you can get it to shoot. I would think that the 7x57 and 7-08 would be a whole lot easier to get runnin'. sundog

Boolit Man
    I'm not sure if I should post for the 7RM since mine is a 7WSM but I had some old cases that needed to be retired and loaded some of the 130grn Lee cast in them to see what would happen. The neck is too short for any serious cast bullet but the 7RM and WSM have about the same load data.

33.5grns IMR4227 average (3) 2475fps
    33.5grns IMR4198 (3) 2375fps
    26.0grns XMP5744 (3) 2051fps
    20.0grns Unique (3) 2103fps

No fillers but barrel tilted up before each shot using WLR and F210 primers.
    All were pretty accurate at 50yds and I had the bullet into the rifling trying to keep the gc in the case neck.

Bill

Boolit Master

Talking Interesting Blue Moon

HI'
    That IMR 4198 load of yours is real close to the last loads I tried in my 7MM/06. Just add a 1/2 gr of dacron. I was looking for a 2nd harmonic , thought it was no good , but discovered that the front action screw was loose. So will have to do the test again next summer when I have more free time. Now I have to focus on blk powder rifle for the muzzel loader hunt.

Boolit Master

DEP. AL & OTHERS

HI,
    Was wondering if anyone has done anything new w/ the 7MM Mag. ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Not here/not yet. Well, if a nice CZ 550 or Ruger 77 in 7 x 57 came along, I'd move on it.....but the 7 Mag hasn't moved at all. The guy didn't even buy a hunting license this year. Boat people.......SHEESH!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast