Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Using PB for cast boolits

Boolit Master

Using PB for cast boolits

I have seen a supply of PB powder for sale at a reasonable price. My impression is that it is a fairly fast bulky powder and I wonder if it could be useful for loading a 45 ACP or light loads for a 30/30. Any experience out there? Thank You .

PM 357Maximum. I know he uses it for 357 mag plinker loads as a substitute for WW 231. Not the same weight mind you, but similar burn rate IIRC. He had good luck with it.

PB is one of the almost forgotten powders, despite its usefulness and good qualities.

It is the sole survivor of a line of powders DuPont created. PB stands for Porous Base, and the idea was that a porous powder could easily be tailored for burn rate by the use or lack of selected coatings that would fill those pores in various degrees. It was a very good idea and worked well - better than the other powders that were based on it.

Many burn rate charts do rank it very near W231/HP38. It is useful in cartridges as small as the .380 through midrange loads in large revolver rounds, reduced loads in some rifle rounds - and with cast bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

I ran into an Estate Sale at a Gunshop and bought several pounds of PB, 7625, and Blue Dot for a VERY good price.

Those are NOT the powders that I was using regularly. Right now, I working my way through PB in my .45 ACP for target loads. I am shooting 5.1grs with a MiHec #68 200 gr SWC cast of WW+2% tin. The load shoots VERY well. It is not as dirty as Bullseye but does leave a bit of "debris" in the barrel. It is NOT accumulative and "makes no nevermind". The carbon wipes out quite easily with a solvent soaked patch. I clean every three-five hundred rounds whether it needs it or not.

Dupont listed data for it in their reloading booklet.

It should work just as well in the .38/.357, .44 Special/Magnum, and .45 Colt for light target loads.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    PB is also a good shotgun powder. It's the one I started with when I began loading shotshells 35+ years ago.

I use it's "brother" powder, SR 7625, for my midrange loads in .41 Magnum, .32 H&R and a j-bullet load for the .223 I use for squirrel hunting. I've also gone to 7625 for my 12 ga loads.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

I have seen it for $7.50 per can which I believe is 1/2 lb. Thank you all, I will grab some.

Cool

One of the hottest loads I've ever shot in my Browning High Power was loaded with PB. Shoots real good, but I'm out of it right now.

I also agree that it's great for loading your trap shells, inexpensively BTW.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master
    I swear by Unique or Universal. From 32 long to 45-70 to 12gu slugs..The name "Unique" sums it up for me.

Boolit Master
    PB could be thought of as the Unique by IMR. I've always liked it for mid range shotshell data and for backup for a lot of pistol calibers.. The PB meand "Pourus based", not really knowing exactly what that means

Boolit Master

Well, I looked in my old Lyman manual and there are a bunch of loads listed for all weights of cast boolits. My newer Lyman only shows it being used on one of their 200 gr SWC with two lube grooves. I should have just looked . But on the other hand now I know that some have had good experience with it. Thank You

Boolit Master

I used PB a lot when I was shooting my 20-gauge - still have some, and would not hesitate to use it for any pistol round up to mid-levels.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    I have used it for 38 special and 45 acp. no problems.