PDA

View Full Version : Fluxing in my lee production pot

atom73
12-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Should I be fluxing while I am casting using my lee production pot? I flux generously while smelting my ww into ingots but have been noticing some gray dust in the pot that accumulates during casting. I am guessing that its tin coming out of the alloy right? I haven't been fluxing during the casting because I was concerned of the risk of a flame up in the electric pot from the wax getting too hot and catching fire. Advice and technique tips appreciated.
Mike. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

iron mule
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM
yes it will not hurt to flux when casting you can never flux to much
use dry saw dust to flux with no flare ups to worry about or just get a paint stirrer or wooden dowel to stir the pot and scrape the sides and bottom with
either of these methods should work good for you and no flare ups from wax
mule

gray wolf
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
I have found that fluxing my casting pot makes me a happy person, yes flux the casting pot.
It will help get out That last bit of dirt and will also enable the metals in your mix to come together.
The wax will smoke before it flares up. use a small amount of wax, perhaps like a small marble, Use a match or a BBQ lighter and light it off when it starts to smoke. If you don't use to much wax it wont flare up to much. ( very controllable )
This is when you want to stir the pot so the fluxing can do it's job. To stir after it stops smoking of after the flame is gone will not do the job.
Use a small amount of wax and watch what it does for the first time or two. Don't even try to stir it, do that and you can plan your approach for the stirring.
NOW--that being said--don't use the wax at all.
Use a paint stirring stick and stir the pot with it while scraping the sides of the pot at the same time. Make sure the stick is dry or it will rumble and vibrate and could steam up.
Here is my last thought and what I use all the time, Saw dust. It will keep your pot clean and will not flare up. Put about a 1/2" of saw dust on top of your melt.
DO NOT STIR --let it get black and chard. ( nice and dry ) it may burn with a little flame.
After it is nice and dry and chard stir it through your melt and leave it on the top
as an O2 inhibitor. Keeps the top nice and shiny and the melt will not oxidize.
When you are ready to add new metal take off the burned saw dust with a spoon, add your new metal and repeat with the saw dust. Don't for get the wooden stick EH.
If I don't remind you about the stick 10 other guy's will.
Hope you understand what I was trying to relate to you.

Sam

atom73
12-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Great. Thanks for the tips, exactly what I was looking for.
Mike