PDA

View Full Version : Questions about bullet size for a 50 cal

atom73
12-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I just acquired a TC black diamond express in 50 cal used. I plan on casting soft lead ( straight, not ww) and am open to paper patching or plain bullet shooting. I am looking at molds and am having trouble between choosing lee REAL design and a Lyman minne. There are three different sizes, a .490, a .504, and a .512, well which one should I go with? I don't know how hard it will be to ram the .504 and the .512 down the bore and I assume the .490 would be good for PP. Anyone have experience using any of these? Also, and this may be a stupid question, if I use the REAL am I supposed to use wadding or anything?

mooman76
12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
The REAL does not use a patch. Some find it shoots better with an over powder wad especially in a tight twist barrel. Normally though you ram it forms tiself to the rifling. As far as minies go they should be a hair smaller than the rifling and the pressure when fired flares out the base to hold tight against the rifling. I have never used the ones you are talking about except for the REAL. I have used the Lee minies though. They are right at .500 and actually cast a couple thous over that. They are a tight fit after the barrel is fowled.

skullmount
12-07-2010, 07:31 AM
atom73,

I have some bullets that are .504.

My friend was just here on Sunday with his Black Diamond.

I had to run then thru the .500 sizer to get them to load.