PDA

View Full Version : teflon and bullet hardness????

jhalcott
10-15-2006, 11:20 AM
when you patch with teflon tape do you need a very hard bulle? Can you use a Lyman #2 alloy or softer? I'm talking about RIFLE loads at high velocity, 22-2700 fps. Rifle calibers of 30-30 ,308 =06 and various 7mm's. I've paper patched YEARS ago and probably forgot more than I knew! I am doing the patching for finger therapy, so IF/WHEN you hear a primal scream from this area ,you will know why!
[smilie=1: :drinks: :castmine:

chunkum
10-15-2006, 11:29 AM
A discussion of teflon patching would be great! Since seeing the first reference to it, I've had been interested but haven't seen much detail on it or many serious shooters who have used the method or advocate the teflon jacket.
Best Regards,
chunkum

454PB
10-15-2006, 12:25 PM
I experimented with it years ago, without much success. I was wrapping .44 caliber boolits for use in a .444 Marlin, which were cast from WW. I'd wrap the boolits, then run them through a .430 sizer, which squeezed the teflon tape into the lube grooves and shaved off the excess. They looked great with the white lube in the grooves. Unfortunately they didn't shoot well. If anyone has had better results, I'm all ears (or eyes).

Johnch
10-15-2006, 12:36 PM
I used teflon tape on almost pure lead bullets out of the 44 mag and 454 ( loaded to HOT 45 colt loads ).
No leading
After the right load was found , I was happy with the results .
Not match grade accurcy .
But more than good enough for the 4' to 100 yd deer shots I take .

But it is BIG , BIG time consuming to wrap the bullets .
I found it best to find the length of tape needed .
Cut a bunch of pieces and sit in front of the Boob tube and tape bullets

I found after a bunch of testing ( at least in my guns ) 2400 worked much better than 296/H110
Someone pointed out Mag primers didn't work well with Tefloned bullets , and I have to agree.

But I found a HEALTHY crimp improved accurcy and velosity.
My guess , with out it the slippery bullet jumped before consistant pressures were built .

I found I got lower velositys with Tefloned bullets verse standard lube , I bet the pressures were lower also ..

I had a post on my early results last year on deer
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3728&highlight=teflon

Johnch

jhalcott
10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
makes me wonder how much is TOO much! your post said 5 wraps, while in the August 1980 Handloader, they used 2 wraps.I lube 358318's withFWFL and overlube with LLA. I get better accuracy at the expense of more tar like fouling .

jhalcott
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I patched some 2804689 (112 grains) with 2 wraps and 4 wraps of teflon .gas checked them with Hornady G.C's. Loaded on top of 25 gr IMR 3031/cci small rifle, in 7tc/u cases. I shot 5 each thru a 21" and 14" barrels at 50 yards. The alloy is a Lyman #2 (about 15-16 BHN). The 2 wrap load was SLIGHTLY more accurate, there were 4 shots in a cluster and a flier,Possible operator error. The 4 wrap load was a "pattern". BOTH groups from both barrels were less than 2" ! A 7x scope on both barrels and shot off sand bags
I Wrapped 5 each 311466 (150 gr). The 1st 5 were wrapped THEN gas checked. The other 5 were gas checked THEN wrapped. 2 wraps only. Loaded on 27/imr 3031/wlr in 30-30 cases. I used a 3x scope on this barrel, and shot off the sand bags. The groups were VERY similar . As far as accuracy is concerned.,There IS room for improvement!!
There were NO signs of leading in any bore. I realize this is a LIMITED test and/or I got lucky. these loads were NOT as accurate as others in the same barrels.But they are the first I've tried with teflon in THEM. I plan on using KNOWN accurate loads ,changing the lube for teflon as the ONLY change!

castalott
10-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Larry ( now gone) used to wrap 45 acp cast bullets for use in a 45-70 for offhand practice. Yes, I know it shouldn't work but it was accurate enough to stay on 1/2 size silhouttes at ~1/2 distances (chickens & pigs only). The loads approximated 45acp power. It looked like you were at a parade with all the confetti in the air.

The bullets were Lee tumble lube types with several wraps of tape. The metal was WW or softer & unsized. We often talked about making (modifying) a tumble lube mold to .460 to just shoot TL bullets for practice. Still a great idea...

There will be those here that will jump up and down and SHOUT 'it can't be done'. Which is one reason I don't post much anymore.....

Bret4207
10-21-2006, 08:13 AM
I've used it with good results. When you size you don't want any cutting of the tape. You want the tape ironed into the booilt and grooves. Sounds like and old style Lyman sizer die was used. Use no more tape than you need. It doesn't take much.