PDA

View Full Version : Harrell Powder Measure Test

joeb33050
10-15-2006, 07:59 AM
George Carpenter sent me two Harrell powder measures to test in October 2006. I couldn't identify the model numbers from either the Harrell site or the Buffalo Arms catalog. Both measures have 10 divisions per revolution, and two clicks per division.
I tested the measure with the ball bearings, figuring that this was as accurate or more accurate than the plain bearing model.
The Harrell measure is a nice piece of work. It accepts plastic bottles for the powder reservoir, and these bottles have removable plugs in the bottom-the top as the measure is used-so that powder may be added to the reservoir as charges are thrown. The two measures had drop tubes of two different diameters. The adjustments are true micrometer click adjustments, easily seen and recorded. The measures are light and easy to use. They are also very expensive.
In the original powder measure test we concluded that it didn't take more than a dozen or so throws for any measure to "settle down" and throw consistent charges, and that the height of powder or "head" in the measure did not affect the charge weight. Then the only test was of repeatability, the ability of the measure to throw consistent weight charges.
With the drop tube in place, the measure would not drop consistent charges of SR4759 or Unique. With no drop tube in place consistency improved greatly with these powders, but the measure was difficult to use without the drop tube-too much going on in a small space. A large diameter would solve this problem, and can either be bought or made.
Much fiddling was done, and many charges were thrown. I did the entire test with four of the five powders twice, so I'm reasonably sure that I was "used to" the measure and operator error was minimized. .
At the end of the dance the Harrell measure was third in repeatability, behind the CH4D and the Redding BR30. But this doesn't tell the story. If we use the criterion that the standard deviation of charge weight must be <.1 grain for thrown charges to be acceptable, then the following is true:
All measures tested will throw consistent charges of AA#9-a ball powder-and IMR4227-a small kernel extruded powder.(The Belding and Mull measure results are, I believe, atypical-caused by one aberrant charge.)
No measures tested will throw consistent charges of SR4759 (but see the Redding result) IMR4198 or Unique.
Then the Harrell measure does pretty much what the other measures do; throws consistent charges of powders the other measures throw consistently and doesn't throw consistent charges of powders that the other measures can't throw consistently. Yet it costs two to three times as much as the other measures. For this cost you get click adjustments and ease of use. Is it worth the cost? It's up to you.
(The revised article and the repeatability table can be found on the Cast Bullet Association site, in FORUM, in FILES, 6.4.1 The Astounding Powder Measure Test!)

Bret4207
10-15-2006, 08:09 AM
I read your article in the ASSRA journal last month. Good test. You confirmed what I thought all along- $$$ doesn't mean it'll handle real coarse powder. Oddly, I find for the real coarse stick powders the Lee dippers work best. I haven't bored out the tubes on my Redding and the Lyman remains set at 13.0 gr Red Dot, so the dippers and a dribbler will do for the little bit I use the "log" type powders.

BTW- Just finished the CBA Cast book you wrote. Good job there too!

Dale53
10-16-2006, 12:16 AM
I have been through the "coarse powders in a measure" problem. I, too, had bridging problems. I was shooting at Etna Green (ASSRA's home range) several years ago and trying to measure 4759. I had a Redding powder measure. It has a plastic drop tube. A couple of the old timers suggested that I take a small, rat tail, file and make the drop tube hole oblong. They said that would end the problem. Well, I did as they suggested and I have had no more bridging of the drop tube since. The advantage of oblong instead of "real big" is the drop tube still works with the smaller cartridges.

FWIW
Dale53

Buckshot
10-16-2006, 10:16 AM
..............Maybe 6-8 years ago there was an article in Precision Shooting magazine on powder measure reliabilty. Actually the article was only a couple years, if that long, after Lee had their "Perfect Powder Measure" on the market. They tested the Culver, RCBS, Lee and a couple others. The result was pretty much the same as what you found out.

All were statisticly the same overall and that a $19 measure did as well as a $300 measure. The real difference was in ease of use and eventual durability.

..............Buckshot