PDA

View Full Version : GPS help

Blammer
12-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm looking for a basic, inexpensive GPS unit. Want to be able to record points, like hunting stands, trail heads, etc....

Any recommendations on what is fairly decent but not too expensive, around $225 or less would be great.

I don't need ALL the latest gizmos and stuff with it.

but being able to download the data to the computer would be nice.

any recommendations?

buck1
12-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Garmin.
eTrex LegendŽ H
Part Number: 010-00779-00
Suggested Retail Price: $ 149.99 USD (the blue one)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=143&fKeys=FILTER_SERIES_ETREX&ra=true

This one or even the plain legend( the yellow one) will serve you well. 100.00-150.00 price range.
Watch out for the Magellen (SP?) it takes special rechargable batteries that can be trouble in the woods if you run low on power. The Garmins take AA batteries.
I have had the two cheepest Garmin Etrex units for a coupple of years now with no trouble. It took about 30 min in the back yard to figure it all out. The blue one for about 150.00 has a usb port and can help with roads too. It would be my first choice. ...Buck

Here one for about a one and a quarter...
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Legend-Handheld-GPS-Navigator/dp/B001OMGVJW

elk hunter
12-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I went for simple when I bought, (Garmin Gecko). I paid about $100.00 each for two. Don't know if they make them any more, but they are just what I wanted, stupid simple, you don't have to be a computer geek to run one. I punch in the jeep when I leave it, turn it off. Shoot my elk, punch it in, now where's my Jeep.

spqrzilla
12-05-2010, 08:00 PM
What Buck1 said, you don't need to spend more than about $100 if you order from Amazon.

Gelandangan
12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Been using Garmin eTrex for the past 10 years or so.

They got the design right methinks, considering this is one of the VERY FEW electronics design that stood the test of time
and is still being produced more than 10 years since its release.

bootsnthejeep
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
I agree with the eTrex. That was my first GPS, and if I hadn't broken it, I'd still be using it. My dad still has his, and still uses it more than his other, more complicated one because he trusts it more. I tried to explain that its all the same satellites, but if that's what he likes, that's fine with me.

I also have a Rino120 and a EMap 60, they do more than the eTrex Legend, but as such are more complicated, more buttons, and bigger. For basic functions and the "Ok, I started here, how do I get BACK there" function, the eTrex is all you need. Plus IIRC it only uses 2 AA batteries, so its easy to carry a decent amount of spares.

Don't know if you can do it on the basic eMap, but on the Legend you can download Topo maps to it of your area, which is handy, but eats the batteries up if you keep it on the map screen. It doesn't have a huge memory, so you can't put your whole state's topo maps on, but you can do your area.

My .02

MT Gianni
12-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I have a Magellan 310 and an e-trex. The Magellan's learning curve is 10 x harder.

*Paladin*
12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Another E-Trex Legend fan! I've had mine for 8(?) years and it's been flawless. I've used it from Alaska, Yukon, BC, Alberta and all over the western US. One of the best investments I've ever made. Easy to use if you just practice with it a bit.

gray wolf
12-05-2010, 10:41 PM
E-trex for me, only took me a short while to learn how to use it.
Many way points, symbols for camp and other thing, altimeter, and works on the dash board of the truck for those back roads. about $100.00

Sam

Blammer
12-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Wow! Thanks for the information! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Now to do some reading!

Looks like Garmin is the way to go for sure!

Can someone tell me how and in what format the info is downloaded to your computer for saving and use?

JIMinPHX
12-07-2010, 12:05 AM
The new Natchez sale catalog shows an interesting combination on page 13. If you buy a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 x 40 scope (list price $274.56) for $199.95, you then get a Garmin E-trex (yellow one) for free.

Item #F10BU200162GPS

I believe that the yellow E-trex is like the blue one, except it has no maps & less memory. It's fine for off-road use. It normally goes for around $100 by itself.

If you want to download info from an E-trex, you need to buy one of the software packages. You can get a street map software package, a topographic software package & I think a few others too. If you install more than one software type, then you can access multiple types of maps at the same time.

The older communication cables are DB-9 serial type. The newer ones are USB & are much faster. They all work though. The cable was included with the GPS when last I bought one, but that was a few years ago. I don't know if things have changed or not.

Sometimes, you can find package deals that include a GPS & a software package for about $40 more than the GPS alone. Otherwise, I think that the software usually costs more than that.

The E-trex runs on 2 AA batteries. A fresh set of name brand ones usually lasts me about 8 hours. I recommend carrying a spare pair.

The E-trex usually works well for about a year or two, then the screen starts to get a bit decrepit. After that, you need to tap it a few times to get the screen to work right again. I've had several of them & they all did the same thing. None of them ever left me stranded where I could not get home though.

Greg
12-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Blammer-

Check your Library or the online used book sellers for the book,

“GPS made Easy” by Lawrence Letham

I reread it every year before I rely on my E-trex to get me back home

thx997303
12-07-2010, 01:10 AM
I've had my E-trex (the yellow one) for about 6 years.

Use it quite a bit.

Easy to use, reliable, what more could you want? OH maps. :p

The screen works as well today as it did when I bought it.

Though if it gets real cold, you have to warm it up a bit before you can see what it's doing.

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2010, 06:31 AM
got to agree with the etrex. Ive got one of them and a delorne and the delorne is way to complicated for me. I can run it doing all the basics and its nice to have the arieal and satelite imagery but i cant begin to use all the funtions it is capable of and find myself using the etrex most of the time because its simple.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-07-2010, 11:21 PM
For the basic BASIC!!!, try the Bushnell, "Back Track"

It give you the ability to mark and find your way back to three points.

It is so simple, even I can use it.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

luvtn
12-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I went to a program on GPS put on by the National Park Service in the summer in Kotzebue, Alaska. They reccomended the Garmin e-trex also. Look on e-bay. Can find some good deals. If it doesn't work connect to internet and patch it. I have the Magellan explorist 200. It doesn't connect to the internet, does use AA batteries. Its usefulness is limited to the maps already in it(dated). It can and does get me there and back. Wish I had known about the e-trex when I was buying.
luvtn

buck1
12-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow! Thanks for the information! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Now to do some reading!

Looks like Garmin is the way to go for sure!

Can someone tell me how and in what format the info is downloaded to your computer for saving and use?

I must confess , I havent ever hooked it to the computer.

RBak
12-11-2010, 09:33 PM
You guys have sure had me looking.........

I wish I had know about this eTrex (the blue one) before I bought the Garmin 76S...I have to keep the book with it, even though I've had the darn thing for several years.
The video with it is about as useful as a big hole in the bottom of the boat, and the manual is as as thick as a novel which was written by the night janitor at the Garmin plant while he was on break.

I've been a pretty good boy this year, maybe it's still not too late to let Santa know....if Santa aint already broke.

Good, useful thread!

Russ

cajun shooter
12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Blammer, The one I offered is a E Trex Vista. Later David

Blammer
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Thank you but I'll have to pass.

thx997303
12-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Talked to my father in law about his GPS the other day.

He has the same yellow Etrex I do, and bought it about the same time I did.

He also loves his.