PDA

View Full Version : yman Shotgun Sabot Slug vs. Shot

garandsrus
10-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I have read that you need to load a slug using different loading data than loose lead shot. My question is: Why? If I have a safe load with shot, couldn't I use the same load with a slug? My guess is that most of the slug loads you see are loaded to peak pressures. I would like to load slugs to a more moderate level, Enough to get the job done up to 100 yds, but no need to shoot end to end through a deer.

I would think that 1 1/4 oz of shot would produce pretty much the same pressures as a 1 1/4 oz slug. Of course, accuracy may or may not be acceptable.

I understand that the shot can "regroup" to go through the choke of the shotgun, but in a rifled barrel, I don' t believe there is any choke to worry about. The pressure curve would be way down as the shot/slug nears the end of the barrel also.

I also understand that you need the correct length wad column to adjust the length of the slug column and allow the case to be crimped (star, not roll) while holding the slug in place.

I will be loading slugs for a Rem 870 with a Hastings rifled barrel.

Thanks,
John

44man
10-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I have the same setup and have dismal luck with the Lyman slugs. Wads just do not hold up and shed petals in the bore and cause leading. Slugs mostly key hole at 50 yd's. Shot wads are just not right for a slug. Sabot slugs work much better.
You can use the same loads for slugs as you do for shot, just reduce a little to start with and work up. Shot has more pressure then slugs do.

Leftoverdj
10-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Most slugs produce less pressure than shot charges because slugs do not press outwards against the petals. This can create problems with slow burning powders, but can safely be disregarded with fast and medium powders.

garandsrus
10-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, it sounds like it would be safe enough to try so I guess I will need to load a couple... I am using Unique as the powder.

Thanks,
John

Blueknight2520
10-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Just to stick my .02 in Loading Lyman or foster type slugs required special loading data due to the dast you do nto sue a shot cup, But special card astock over the power and sometimes as a buffer and as well in some cases as a over slug seal. Also in some loads solid buffer and other buffer things are sued to load slugs only. Data fr this is in the Lyman shot shell handbook and also from
http://www.reloadingspecialties.com/. Who also has allthe special loading stuff.

The sabot slugs from lyman and Lee are a whole different deal. Witch are of Interest to me and also the BRI sabit type slugs sold by federal now.
Good luck
BK

Hi,

I have read that you need to load a slug using different loading data than loose lead shot. My question is: Why? If I have a safe load with shot, couldn't I use the same load with a slug? My guess is that most of the slug loads you see are loaded to peak pressures. I would like to load slugs to a more moderate level, Enough to get the job done up to 100 yds, but no need to shoot end to end through a deer.

I would think that 1 1/4 oz of shot would produce pretty much the same pressures as a 1 1/4 oz slug. Of course, accuracy may or may not be acceptable.

I understand that the shot can "regroup" to go through the choke of the shotgun, but in a rifled barrel, I don' t believe there is any choke to worry about. The pressure curve would be way down as the shot/slug nears the end of the barrel also.

I also understand that you need the correct length wad column to adjust the length of the slug column and allow the case to be crimped (star, not roll) while holding the slug in place.

I will be loading slugs for a Rem 870 with a Hastings rifled barrel.

Thanks,
John

44man
10-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Greg 5278 sent me some slugs to try. Full bore size with GG's and I filled them with Felix lube. I shot 2 of each load today with the 860 gr slug. The first two at 50 yd's were an inch apart and the next load was 1-1/4". No tipping of the boolit. I have more work to do and more slugs to try so it will be a while because it is archery season, but I was impressed so far. Recoil is stout. I think they would turn a deer inside out so you would have to skin in reverse.
Greg knows what he is doing and it puts to shame the factory junk. Super expensive sabot rounds might be better but I don't have the money for them.
I have a very heavy steel backstop at 45 degrees and these slugs moved it. WOW!

garandsrus
10-20-2006, 09:23 PM
44man,

Can you post a picture of the slugs? Did you load them in plastic cases without a wad or did you go to a brass case?

Thanks,
John

44man
10-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I used 3" plastic cases with a roll crimp. It took quite a few wads to fill the space because I started with blue dot. Greg says to try 4759 and that will be next. I will post a picture later on my other computer because the camera wire is hooked to it. My loads were not up to snuff yet because I don't have many slugs so I ration them. I have others to test yet and when I find the one I like, I am going to make a mould.
However, they beat hell out of the Lyman slug right off, first load. A strange thing was that they hit dead in the bullseye. I put a lot of paper around the target because I had no idea where they would hit. Surprised me to see the huge hole dead center.

Greg5278
10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
The results sound promising. I sent some to another guy, and he fired a 4.250" grop with them. His load was 1218FPS loaded with Blue Dot. He said recoil was stiff.

I hope to see some good groups with the whole center of the target chewed out. As a side note, I tried my 770 grain slug cast in Zinc, and it penetrated 3/16" hot rolled steel plate. By comparison the copper solids, and BRI slugs only dent it.These slugs should stomp anything that walks on the North American continent.

Greg

44man
10-24-2006, 09:32 PM
They will also clear a forest!

Greg5278
10-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Perfect, I always wanted to cut down a tree with lead. I have cut stuff down with loads of shot atg point blank, but not slugs. Now I can trim the branches near my stand. No they are not facing the skyline!

Greg S

lefty_red
10-28-2006, 12:40 PM
A quick question so I don't have to post a new thread on this....

How did you get a rolled crimp? I only have a star crimp on my LEE 12ga LOAD ALL.

LEFTY

357maximum
10-28-2006, 01:40 PM
A quick question so I don't have to post a new thread on this....

How did you get a rolled crimp? I only have a star crimp on my LEE 12ga LOAD ALL.

LEFTY

Two options

1. buy a roll crimp tool for your drill/drill press from ballistic products or reloading specialties.

2. find/buy/ebay an old "vintage" roll crimper with hand crank...

I have actually had better luck with the vintage roll crimper...but...but... I had three and only one worked well...it is a large heavy mostly brass unit made in england about 10 minutes after Christs birth..the other two were sold on ebay and worked well with paper...but plastic is a different animal all together...warm room required for good crimps...

Leftoverdj
10-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Drill press and the BPI tool works well for me. It takes a little experimenting find the right speed and the right rate of feed. I recall the Lee kit to have given good roll crimps with previously roll crimped paper cases back in the early '60s, but I ain't tried that lately.

garandsrus
10-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Well I loaded up some Lyman slugs this evening... I loaded several with 18.5gr Unique, which is what my normal 12 ga 1 1/8 oz load uses. I used the Remington RXP-12 Wad which is a figure 8 shape. The crimp is holding nicely. I used 40 lbs of pressure according to the scale on the MEC Jr. Press.

I also loaded some using Blue Dot and the recommended wad from the Lyman manual. Blue Dot seems to generate the least amount of pressure which may help in not destroying the wad petals. I don't have the powder weights in front of me, but I started several grains lower than what the manual stated. I think they go from 38 to 42 gr Blue Dot, but don't quote me on that! The crimp on these wants to open up, so I may need to increase the pressure when seating the slug. I used 60 lbs.

I will try to get the range tomorrow to see how they shoot. I will be shooting them out of a Reminton 870 with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount.

John

5Shot
10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi,

I had the same thought, but Lyman lists a powder charge about 30% higher (with Blue Dot) than they do for a 1-1/4 oz shot load.

Does anyone know if there are any safety issues with light charges of Blue Dot?

I was thinking of using the same charge as listed for shot to create some light Slug loads.

5Shot