PDA

View Full Version : Kapok

Jim
12-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Some of you "more experienced(translate older)" gentlemen remember using Kapok for filler?
I recently attended a general merchandise auction. One item was two US Coast Guard Kapok life jackets. I got 'em. I now have a life time supply of Kapok.
Last time I saw Kapok used as filler, I had just bought my first Lee Loader kit. 1970 something?

captaint
12-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Jim,
Many years back I used Kapok in my 38 wadcutter loads. Doesn't make much sense now, why I did that. Must have read about it in a magazine. Worked well, though. enjoy Mike

KennethF
12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
It does not make any sense to use kapok or dacron in hand gun loads, but these fillers are very useful in rifle cartridges with light powder charges for cast boolits.

Ken.

Freischütz
12-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I started using it in the 1970s too. As a matter of fact I'm still working on that 1970 supply. It's just about gone.

I chose kapok over dacron because I read that dacron sometimes left melted fiber in barrels.

Matt3357
12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I bought some from a guy here a couple of months ago. All I know is it burns like gasoline.

Matt

Shooter6br
12-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I dont use wads it any of my loads. i was going to use dryer lint or 1/4 sheet TP. After reading all kinds of data. i am scared out of using it. i would use it to hold the powder ( light 4759 loads) against the primer. thus a "wad" not filler. So i decided not worth the risk. May not cause chamber ringing but why chance it for informal target shooting.

35remington
12-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Shooter, kapok or dacron used to fill the case is not a wad. A wad leaves airspace.

Dacron or kapok is a filler. There's a difference.

I am not a fan of drier lint. The problem with it is that it has no strength, being comprised of very short bits, almost specks, of lint. When compressed it has no springiness like dacron or kapok's much longer, stronger fibers and is thus less suitable for filler as it responds poorly to compression of the impact kind, potentially leaving airspace after a solid jolt. When it gets compressed, it stays compressed.

Not good.

I avoid it.

Jim
12-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I only use Kapok in bottleneck cases. I like consistency and the kapok does a good job of keeping the powder located, round after round. But, that's just me. Kinda' like my lithium/graphite lube, I'm weird like that.
By the way, I've not yet seen any evidence of the kapok leaving the barrel. No strands in the air, no fire falling in front, nothing. I don't know where it goes, 'cause it don't stay in the case or the barrel, but I can't find it when I'm done.

Jim
12-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Double post. Sorry.

Boz330
12-05-2010, 04:00 PM
You guys just aren't using enough Kapok. I have used it as a filler in the 577-450 MH cartridge and there is a literal snowstorm at the shot, BIG CASE. Never have seen any burning Kapok even in a BPC. In a standard bottle neck rifle cartridge it just disappears at the shot. In the big MH case I have had better groups from BP with active fillers. I've never tried smokeless in that rifle.
I to have a couple lifetimes supply of Kapok.

Bob

Jim
12-05-2010, 04:30 PM
..... there is a literal snowstorm at the shot, ..... Bob

That made me chuckle. I remember using cotton balls in .45-70s. Talk about a snow storm!:holysheep

onondaga
12-05-2010, 06:08 PM
There have been some pretty spirited discussions about fillers here. I am an un- kapoc kind of guy and prefer modern ballistic fillers in my reduced rifle loads for .308 Win. .458 Win Mag., and .500 S&W. I use BPI Original ballistic filler and like the handling characteristics, particularly that it is meter-able with my powder measures or scoops and just pours in over the powder. BPI is a ground high heat plastic in a light flake particulate form that has been used as a buffer in buckshot loads for many years but has gained popularity in use for reduced rifle and pistol loads in the last few years. It is not as light as kapoc so you have to add the weight of the BPI used per cartridge to the bullet weight for a complete projectile weight when calculating velocities and pressures, but a little math never hurt anybody. The internal ballistic consistency with the use of the BPI has greatly lowered velocity spread when I check Chronograph numbers and the low spread translated to smaller groups for me than kapoc.

Gary

35remington
12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Onodaga, kapok and dacron lower velocity spread as well. So if it is lowered velocity spread that is causing your improved groups, then dacron and kapok should work as well. If you are getting better groups with shotshell buffer, most likely it is due to something other than reduced velocity spread.

I find ground shotshell buffer raises velocity/pressure more than dacron/kapok. You would expect this given the very, very light weight of dacron and kapok.

Shotshell buffer should not be used in very low pressure loads (where the buffer fills the majority of the case) as it will not clear out of the case and may cause a bore obstruction. The partially ejected buffer looks like a dirty snowdrift.

This from a guy that has considerable experience with it.

So it has limitations that dacron/kapok does not, so it's certainly not perfect. It does do a very good job in reducing gascutting, though.

I still use it a lot myself. But not with very light loads.

MT Gianni
12-07-2010, 01:39 PM
It does not make any sense to use kapok or dacron in hand gun loads, but these fillers are very useful in rifle cartridges with light powder charges for cast boolits.

Ken.

I suggest you read KenWaters Pet Loads re the 32-20. Fillers work when they need to fill a space.

Larry Gibson
12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Fillers are fine when used correctly as MT Gianni mentions. I use dacron myself but would probably use kapok if dacron wasn't available. My tests, many years ago, proved to me that a correct filler is essential for best accuracy where applicable.

Larry Gibson

onondaga
12-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I have never went so light in my reduced loads that powder was less than 50% volume of the cartridge, thanks for the heads up. My BPI filler loads are hunting loads in calibers that I can not personally tolerate the recoil of full loads--.458 Win Mag and .500 S&W mag. My 30 cal reduced loads are hunting loads also and the filler in 30 cal and the others is well less than 50 % . I have never been one to use very light plinking loads with my centerfire guns and I plink with a .22RF. or a muzzle loader. I believe you on the over 50% volume of filler having the ability to act as an obstruction . I have only read of that possibility for both types of filler, fiber and particulate, but have never heard of an accident actually occurring for either.

Gary

Jim
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
When I'm working up test loads, I put kapok in the case even if the case density's as high as 90%. I only do that for the sake of consistency. I'm just funny like that.