PDA

View Full Version : 323471?

Phil
10-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Good Evening all!

I searched the forums for the threads on the Lyman 323471 mold and it seems that now it's a collectors item? Does anyone have one for sale or have any idea how much one would cost today? I used to have one back in the fifties and really liked how it shot in the 8mm rifles I had in those days (and wish I still had!).

Barring finding one of those what is the Lee number for Buckshot's 240 grain mold in 8mm?

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of Samco's Persian Mauser's for Christmas and would like to find a good cast bullet to shoot in it.

Thanks,

Phil

45 2.1
10-14-2006, 06:24 PM
You could run a Group Buy for one, it's well liked and i'm sure it would go over well. I also have samples to draw it from. Finding one for youself is probably going to be pricy otherwise.

Dutch4122
10-14-2006, 08:20 PM
What's the OAL on the 323471? Would it fit the Lee six cavity blocks?

Phil
10-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Not sure Dutch, I think about 1.2" but thats speculation on my part. Maybe 45 2.1 can help us on this one.

45 2.1, I'd sure get in on a group buy on that one but I don't know anything about how to do it. If anyone with experience would head it up I'd be in for two of them. I really do like the idea of a 6 cavity though. I have a couple of Lee 6 holers for pistol bullets and they really do make nice bullets. Running two molds at the same time you can get a heck of a lot of good bullets in a hurry.

Thanks for the dope guys, I do appreciate it.

Phil

Bret4207
10-15-2006, 07:55 AM
I'd love the Lyman job, but the 8mm Karibiner is hard to beat, 'specially if you intend to shoot game with the 8mm.

45 2.1
10-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Not sure Dutch, I think about 1.2" but thats speculation on my part. Maybe 45 2.1 can help us on this one.

45 2.1, I'd sure get in on a group buy on that one but I don't know anything about how to do it. If anyone with experience would head it up I'd be in for two of them. I really do like the idea of a 6 cavity though. I have a couple of Lee 6 holers for pistol bullets and they really do make nice bullets. Running two molds at the same time you can get a heck of a lot of good bullets in a hurry.

Thanks for the dope guys, I do appreciate it.

Phil

The 323471 measures 1.21", which is too long for the LEE blocks. We did a 311407 GB which is very accurate, maybe an up scaled version of that boolit would work for all.

Buckshot
10-15-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.fototime.com/95526EC254D5D0C/standard.jpg

The one you're lusting after is the one on the left (which I know you know :-)). Mine is in the middle but it's NLA. Mid-South carried the Oldfeller Karabiner and Max 8mm designs on special order. The Karabiner would be the one similar in weight to my 240 gr one. I think it's 240gr also. The Max is mo-heavier yet.

..............Buckshot

Phil
10-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Buckshot!

Yep, I've been looking for that one for a long time without any luck whatsoever.

Do you know what procedure I need to follow to get purchase info on the two Oldfeller molds, and who do I contact, Mid-South or Lee?

I patterned my Hoch mold sort of off the 323471 and it shoots like gangbusters in my 8.15x46R. I've thought about making a breech seater for a Mauser and seeing how it works in that at lower velocities. However, I have shot the Hoch plain base at 20/1 in the 8.15 to 1600 fps with no leading whatsoever using only paraffin and petroleum jelly for lube.

Thanks for the suggestions and help, it is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

TCLouis
10-15-2006, 02:16 PM
tell us about the results you have had with the 175 grain GB mold!

I plan on casting the bullets this week and some starting poins for "hunting" level loads would be nice . . . . that is other than the 16.0 2400 or 13.0 Red Dot.

Buckshot
10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
...............Phil, so far as I know you just go to the Mid-South web page and to the bullet casting section and there they are. I believe the original deal was that you ordered and when they got to the required number (25) they'd order from Lee. Yet I have also read here that they sometimes had them in stock so you got them immediately.

...............TC Louis, ya know I'm kind of embarrased to admit this :-). I was rummageing around in the ammo closet to see if I had anything loaded up (or enough of anything loaded up) for the Burrito match and found a 50 rnd box with 37 rounds of loaded 8x57 remaining, with that GB boolit. Normally I record the load data on the plastic box. This time I hadn't. In fact it must have been awile back as I didn't even recall loading them!

The box was labeled for the M38 so I got it out and the rear sight was set at 400 yds, so I left it like that. I fired 2 off the bench at the range into the 10 ring. WELL! I checked over the chrono and they were going 1880 fps. I mentioned to Deputy Al at the next bench that I sure wished I'd recorded whatever that load was, as it appeared to be a good one.

Since when I shook the case I didn't hear any powder slosh around it obviously had dacron in there. I couldn't pin it down to anything closer then being 4198, 4227, or SR4759 probably. Maybe 26 - 28grs of the former or 22 - 24 of either of the later.

.................Buckshot

Dutch4122
10-16-2006, 11:40 AM
TCLouis-

Since running the Group Buy for the C326-175-FN I've stuck to the plinking and target loads with 2400. Currently shooting this boolit with Lar45's Carnauba Red lube and 18 grains of 2400; which will keep 'em on a paper plate @ 100 yards even when the barrel on my Persian Mauser gets considerably warm. Obviously I haven't found the favorite load yet for this rifle/boolit combination and I plan on running some higher charges of 2400 before trying other powders. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I wanted this boolit as a lite plinker for the 29" barreled Persian and hadn't given much thought to hunting loads. I'd love to hear of your results once you have a chance to work up a few loads.