PDA

View Full Version : New idea for a home made shotmaker

x101airborne
12-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I had an idea. not sure if it was a good one. (quite common) I have a lee 10 lb pot and need some cheap shot for 12 ga. If I take my 10 pound pot with WW metal heated to 650 - 700 degrees, a 12 inch piece of heated steel angle iron at appropriate angle, and a bucket of water, I could make fair shot (not precise). I have not tried this yet, but I cant see any folly with the idea. If anyone can improve, suggest, give hints, etc... I like shotgun shells, but i cant afford to shoot more than 200 - 300 rounds a year. What about zinc for those "lead free" duck hunts and such?

stainless1911
12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Why not BB's? 5K for like 6$

RedneckAlbertan
12-04-2010, 08:44 PM
How would you control the size of shot? Do a search on this site for shot maker. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php?searchid=2655318

Jack Stanley
12-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Water is a pretty hard medium for molten lead to drop into unless it's been in a free fall for a couple hundred feet . The shot makers I have seen use VERY small holes to control the size of droplet coming out with a rather short drop into something like vegatable oil , diesel fuel or thread cutting solution ( I don't know which ) .

When I used a shot maker it was with vegatable oil and it worked rather well for the purpose I intended the shot .

Jack

Ranch Dog
12-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Have you guys seen this new Lee mold?

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/Buckshot.jpg (http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1291516931.3113=/html/catalog/blackpow.html#shotgun)

I use buckshot in a self defense shotgun so I suspect that I will give one of these a try.

Heavy lead
12-04-2010, 10:48 PM
No, but it'll sure be a lot better than that little 2 cavity .311 round ball mould I have for making buck shot.
What sizes? I'll order one right away.
Well, it's right there on their website, It'll be .330, guess that'll work, I'll get the first one I come across.

RugerFan
12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Why not BB's? 5K for like 6$

Air rifle BBs are way to light for shotgun use.

stainless1911
12-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Air rifle BBs are way to light for shotgun use.

Learn something everyday I guess. I figured since they were magnetic, they were steel, so they might work.

DIRT Farmer
12-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Air rifle shot is to hard for shot unless used with steel shot wads, mayby harder than steel shot. I have seen several "stright rifled" shotgun barrels from the early days of steel shot for waterfoul.

geargnasher
12-05-2010, 02:37 AM
You might make BB shot with the bottom pour, I've tried it using a small steel container with a pinhole in the bottom and a torch. A 1/16" hole will make shot about 3/32" out of WW metal, a pinprick hole will make #8. I was trying to make #11-12, figured out real quick why that stuff is so expensive.

Gear

x101airborne
12-05-2010, 08:09 AM
I am more impressed with you guys every day.

WHITETAIL
12-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I always said that the guys and gals here are great.:idea:

RugerFan
12-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Learn something everyday I guess. I figured since they were magnetic, they were steel, so they might work.

The ones I've dealt with are copper. Steel may actually work.

quack1
12-06-2010, 09:23 AM
DO NOT use air rifle BB's in a shotgun. Steel shot made for shotguns is softer than the steel air gun BB's. I have seen 2 guns (not mine) where air gun shot was used-deep gouges from the forcing cone to the muzzle. They were used with steel shot wads too, they simply rubbed through and gouged.

Harter66
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I once spent considerable time in the migritory fowl rules . While zinc might be ok some places ,maybe condor lands in Ca,most all refuges,reserves,etc say "shot as approved by the gov."or something on that order . With that in the early steel days the shot was only allowed like .002" of zinc or copper plating ,as found in separate paragraphs. On the other hand there are so many shot types and so few magnatrometers in the field ........................I didn't really suggest that ....

AZ-Stew
12-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Have you guys seen this new Lee mold?

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/Buckshot.jpg (http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1291516931.3113=/html/catalog/blackpow.html#shotgun)

I use buckshot in a self defense shotgun so I suspect that I will give one of these a try.

Now, there's something useful! I the future, hope they make some that produce #1 and #4 buck.

Regards,

Stew

lwknight
12-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Industrial shot maker use arsenic in the alloy in increase the surface tension and make rounder shot. Coincidently the arsenic makes the shot harden faster if it has antimony in it. Shotmakers don't care how fast it hardens . Its just a by-product.

uncle joe
12-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I have never even seen anyone using a shot shell loader, so if this is stupid just say so. I thought shotgun shells had a wad that the shot was cupped in and carried them out the barrel like a sabot round. Am I wrong, and if not wouldn't the plastic wad protect the barrel from the steel shot.

nanuk
12-07-2010, 06:04 AM
You might make BB shot with the bottom pour, I've tried it using a small steel container with a pinhole in the bottom and a torch. A 1/16" hole will make shot about 3/32" out of WW metal, a pinprick hole will make #8. I was trying to make #11-12, figured out real quick why that stuff is so expensive.

Gear

hey Geargnasher, have you considered writing a book about your experiences?
I think it would be a good read.

You guys is what makes these forums such a valuable resource.

someone has an idea, and someone else has already tried it and can offer some direction

x101airborne
12-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I have never even seen anyone using a shot shell loader, so if this is stupid just say so. I thought shotgun shells had a wad that the shot was cupped in and carried them out the barrel like a sabot round. Am I wrong, and if not wouldn't the plastic wad protect the barrel from the steel shot.

yes, the shot is carried in a wad like a sabot. problem is, not all shot is equal. pure lead will tend to slug up in a barrel. hard metals like the aforementioned bb's can rub through and gouge. all wads are not the same, either.

Three44s
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
..................................... Am I wrong, and if not wouldn't the plastic wad protect the barrel from the steel shot.

Those wads can only protect just so much .........

Best regards

Three 44s