PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold ?

tcrocker
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Does eny one us this mold (Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C452-300-RF 45 Colt (Long Colt), 454 Casull (452 Diameter) 300 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check) I've got a Redhawk I picked up on a trade and now I'm looking into getting a Puma 92 in 45 Colt. I like to hear from people that us this mold or have one of these guns and there casting progress. I am going to use these for hunting deer and hogs. Thanks.

tcrocker
12-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Here's a pic of the mold and boolit.
http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/th_Capture.png (http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/?action=view&current=Capture.png)

Bob Krack
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Does eny one us this mold (Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C452-300-RF 45 Colt (Long Colt), 454 Casull (452 Diameter) 300 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check) I've got a Redhawk I picked up on a trade and now I'm looking into getting a Puma 92 in 45 Colt. I like to hear from people that us this mold or have one of these guns and there casting progress. I am going to use these for hunting deer and hogs. Thanks.I had one, cast some boolits and sold them here as "site benefit" items. If memory serves me correctly, "gon2shoot" was one of the donors. Eventually I traded or sold it to my friend "yotatrd4x4 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=8156)". He is a non-commisioned(?) Air Force Officer stationed in Alaska.

The mould cast great, boolit was heavy as in 310 or 315 grains. Beautiful boolit. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember it casting at .454 or .455 diameter but I would hope that would not deter you.

Two thumbs up from me![smilie=w:

Bob

tcrocker
12-04-2010, 07:56 PM
No I was plaining on resizing after I cast eny way. Right now I'm cast 464gr boolit for my 45-70. I just thought it looked more like I'm used to reloading, the lighter boolit just look short to me.

RobS
12-04-2010, 07:59 PM
The mold I had cast out at .452-.453 and weighed checked/lubed at 320ish grains. The bullet design has a melplat of 82% and delivers a good punch. It flies it's best as you put velocity to it and I found velocities over 1000 fps is where the bullet started to work well at and really tightened up at 1,100 fps or faster. The only thing I didn't like out of the lever action is that the bullet really drops quickly much past 125 yards and is the reason I designed LFN style boolits in 300 and 340 grains area. I also wasn't a big fan of the really shallow crimp grooves, but they do work ok. It was accurate from both the revolver and lever action.

x101airborne
12-05-2010, 08:35 AM
I have never tried the Lee version, but that Ranch Dog 300 grainer is the beez knees!! Essentially the same boolit, with a longer nose and a similar meplat. If you would like, I would be happy to send you fifty of the ranch dogs for the cost of shipping. The least i could do for the kindness Ranch Dog showed me.

bigdog454
12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I have used the Lee 310 gr bullet in both my .454 redhawk and my .454 puma shoot great. If I were you I would buy a .454 puma instead of the .45 Colt. The 454 will shoot either just fine and with athority.

RobS
12-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I have never tried the Lee version, but that Ranch Dog 300 grainer is the beez knees!! Essentially the same boolit, with a longer nose and a similar meplat. If you would like, I would be happy to send you fifty of the ranch dogs for the cost of shipping. The least i could do for the kindness Ranch Dog showed me.

The two bullets look from a pic about the same, but the bullets are quite a bit different. The big difference is the Lee has a huge WFN style .370 meplat or 82% where as the RD mold has more of a LFN style melplat of .325 or 72%. This also adds to the rather large weight difference with the Lee running 25 grains or so heavier. The nose if you crimp on the Lee's short COAL groove would be about the same with the ranch dog being .305 and the Lee at about .3105. The Lee will drop off very quickly after 125 yards as I mentioned where as the RD design with its lighter weight and more aerodynamic front end will have better long range ability. I would go with the RD design if I didn't mind tumble lubing and if I had plans on shooting past 100 yards.

tcrocker
12-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I most likly will not shoot at a deer past 75 yard. And the rainge I go to only goes to 100 yds. I think the wide melplat would work better on game.

geargnasher
12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I have that mould and shoot it out of several SAA-style .45 Colt revolvers and an 1860 Henry rifle. I removed the GC shank from one cavity and shoot the boolits plain-based, they drop at 306 grains from WW metal from my modified mould, and I'll concur that the accuracy is better the faster they are pushed, can't get there and still stay at SAA pressures, but it sure is a hammer!

gear

NHlever
12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I have that mold, and spent quite a bit of time working with it a few years ago. I had a Ruger Blackhawk, and a Marlin CB that I was shooting them in. It is an awesome boolit, no doubt about that! I did have trouble keeping them stabilized past 75 yards. It is just a big blunt boolit, almost a wadcutter, and as others have said it has to be driven very hard. I would guess that it would work better at .454 / .460 velocities than at any sane 45 Colt velocity.