PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 32-20

shooter2
05-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I wondered if anyone has experience with this one. It's a Marlin model 1894CL. I'm tempted, but it it comes with a micro-groove barrel. However, Winchester 92's just move further and further away from my budget. I know, Veral Smith says they will shoot cast just fine, but I am looking for real world experience here. If not the 32-20 specifically, how about anything with a micro-groove barrel. TIA...

35remington
05-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Shooter2, I've shot a fair amount of lead through Microgroove barrels, but none in .32-20 caliber. Still, though, a lot of what was learned may be applicable here.

First is oversized bullets, which seem to be a necessity if your bullets are not obturating, and larger is better even if they are. If your bore/groove diameter is on the large side, larger diameter is appropriate anyway, but the real reason oversized bullets are necessary has to do with the throat on most Marlin rifles-there isn't one, usually.

I think that oversized bullets help take up some of the slop in the chamber neck and help the bullet enter the bore straight. If the gun doesn't have a throat, then you must use the chamber neck and an oversize bullet to make a substitute for the throat. Essentially, the neck of the brass case becomes the throat, and if clearances between the brass, bullet and chamber walls are minimized, the gun shoots better because the bullet enters the bore straighter. Up to a point. Ultimate accuracy would best served with a proper throat.

Generally, rifles with minimum to no throat are somewhat better as jacketed bullet shooters, and fairly poor with cast. You don't know until you try, because there are surprises sometimes. But I wouldn't let that put me off. For around fifty bucks delivered, you can get a throating reamer to make the gun more suitable for cast bullets, and done carefully it will not hurt jacketed bullet accuracy.

If it was me, I would buy the gun, and the fact that it is Microgroove wouldn't bother me one bit. It is the throat that will determine how well it shoots with lead, and likely the throat configuration would be the same in either a standard rifled or Microgroove gun. If the Microgroove won't shoot lead, buy a reamer, but don't kid yourself. You would probably have the same trouble getting standard rifling to shoot if it has the same kind of throat.

Rrusse11
05-22-2005, 08:23 PM
I wondered if anyone has experience with this one. It's a Marlin model 1894CL. I'm tempted, but it it comes with a micro-groove barrel. However, Winchester 92's just move further and further away from my budget. I know, Veral Smith says they will shoot cast just fine, but I am looking for real world experience here. If not the 32-20 specifically, how about anything with a micro-groove barrel. TIA...

Shooter,
Don't believe everything you read, even what's stamped on a Marlin barrel. My Marlin 336ER in 356 Win, while stamped with the dreaded 'Microgroove', is a 6groove ballard cut 1:12 that slugs at .356", ie "pistol" specs. Take a good hard look with a bore light, most of the CL's were fairly short runs, different diameters and twist rates than standard, and more often than not cut rather than a special broach made up for the run. I'll give you odds that you'll find a 6 groover, should be ~ 1:20 twist slugging at .312" or thereabouts. Check the throat too, not all the Marlins are throatless, LOT of variations there.
Cheers,
R*2
Ps. I gotta' ask, how much? I'm after one, {;o).

9.3X62AL
05-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Shooter 2--

If the rifle is one of the new production examples, they are supposed to be MG. The older series 94CL's (half-magazine) and last year's 1894CCL (full mag) in 32-20 have six-groove/Ballard pattern.

I have a Marlin Model 62 in 30 U.S. Carbine that shoots very well with Lee Soup Cans sized at .310" and run to about 1600 FPS in its MG bore. This caliber is very much like the 32-20 with cast boolits--the brass is more durable, too.

35remington
05-23-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm holding out for a .25-20. The .32-20 has me sorely tempted, but I'll have the sense to order one this time if they make another run of .25's.

My 2003 .35 Remington has a longer throat, for whatever it's worth. The bores on my lever .35 336's go .3585 and .358, if you trust Cerrosafe to that many decimal points. My .45-70's pretty close to spec too.

A lot of Marlins floating around have iffy throating. Here's hoping they do the .32-20 right.

Rrusse11
05-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Ahhh, didn't realise Marlin was coming back out with an 1894 in 32-20.
Specs as Al points out are for a Mcg barrel, personally I'll hang out for one of the earlier ones. They occassionally pop up on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica. I did get a 24" oct barrel in 32-20 off Ebay last week, hasn't arrived yet, we'll see what that's like when it gets here.
Cheers,
R*2

JDL
05-23-2005, 09:50 AM
shooter2,
I have not had the slightest problem with making my 336A, chambered in .30-30, shoot air cooled wheelweights well and they don't have to be any bigger than my other .30's. In fact, my thightest group has been with boolits sized .3085". Most of my moulds drop about .310" and I routinely run all my .30's in a .311" die to lube and apply gas checks.-JDL

zzmoore
05-30-2005, 04:29 AM
I have a Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 and 25-20. Neither of them have "Micro Groove" rifling. In the 32-20 I shoot the Oregon Trail 115g FP .313 diameter. I use both Unique and IMR 4227 with good success and no leading. You can not believe the number of times I have had guys tell me that "I should not be shooting lead through my Micro Groove barrels". After a little conversation I discover these guys do not even own a Marlin Micro Groove, or have any expeience reloading for them. Shooters seem to repeat things they have heard or read and all of a sudden the myths become facts. I have tried "breaking in" new barrels to no avail. I own both pre and post 1964 Model 70 Winchesters. I don't shoot any better with the pre than I do the post. I have shot A LOT of jacketed ammo in some of my old Win 92's and 94's. And they still shoot just fine. I have purchased Ruger rifles with better barrels and more sqared up actions than their Remington counterparts. Etc. Etc. Etc. Sorry for the preaching. Anyway....... Buy what you want. After actually trying some different powder, bullet primer combinations, use what works best for you.
Thanks For Listening