PDA

View Full Version : Lee 312-155 at 100 yards today

MikeSSS
10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
These were not good examples of cast boolits. They were sized .314 to crimp the gas check, the load was 16gr of 2400. The rifle was an 03 A3 made of mostly Remington parts except the receiver which is a Santa Fe.

I shot ten shots offhand, at 100 yards, and the group was 9.0".

The wind was pretty strong and highly variable. It blew me around quite a bit.

The 1903 A3 is easier to shoot than my other milsurps. The sights are better and so is the trigger. The sling is better too.

I'll shoot more and try to remember how to shoot. It's been a while for offhand.

There is a match coming up, I'm hoping these light boolits do well at 200 yards. If not I'll go heavier.

No key-holes were evident, so that's good.

Like the wise man said...."pour yourself a hot one".

Bret4207
10-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Mike- 9" off hand? Before you decide it's a poor performer, bench that sucker and see what it'll do. 9" off hand for some guys is doing good. If you're a regular offhand shooter that shoots really well, then disregard my post.

trk
10-14-2006, 09:06 AM
That fits a military rule of thumb: a soldier should be able to do an 8" group standing/offhand/with-sling at 100 yards with an M16.

Buckshot
10-15-2006, 11:08 AM
..............10 rounds offhand at 100 yards going 9" isn't bad. I suspect you probably had at LEAST 5 of'em clump. Sometimes too it's just the way it is. One old timer at the range said this shooting thing ain't no big deal. All you have to do is to put'em all in the 10 ring! I said Uh -huh, and thanks for the tip.

I shoot offhand cast over open sights most every Tuesday in a 10 round 50 yard match and I think sometimes you can just try too hard. Too tense or too IN-tense maybe. Someitmes I do real good and other times not so good. Course I shoot a different rifle just about every week, but still ...............

...............Buckshot