PDA

View Full Version : Is there a calculator

luvtn
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
that will calculate velocity in fps and energy if you plug in weight of bullet, powder charge, and length of barrel?
luvtn

imashooter2
12-01-2010, 05:17 PM
No. It is far more complicated than that.

Mal Paso
12-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes, But He Really Isn't as Good as He Thinks He Is.:kidding:

MtGun44
12-01-2010, 08:32 PM
There is some software out there, something like AccuLoad. I don't have it nor
have I ever used it. Apparently it is expensive.

Bill

oneokie
12-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Do a search for "Load Map". Yes, it is pricy.

AZ-Stew
12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Regardless of price, these software programs are only estimators. THEY DO NOT PRODUCE ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE DATA! A recent thread points this out quite clearly: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=99299 . Read the first post to get the gist of the issue, then scroll down to posts #17, 18 and 19. I know the 19 grain load to be safe. I've shot hundreds of them. I quit using them when I decided to make my M-57 Smith last for my grand- and great-grand children. They're hot, but not excessive. They make the .41 Magnum the "Magnum" it was intended to be. I've since learned that it doesn't need to be as "Magnum-y" as this load will make it to be effective. I shoot it better with the lighter 6.7 grains of 7625 powder, which makes it more effective than the blaster load.

Anyway, the QuickLOAD data that zxcvbob came up with is way off base. Imagine if he had achieved the opposite result. The program could just as well have spit out a set of data saying that 23 grains of 2400 under a 210 grain jacketed bullet would produce 30,000 pounds of pressure and was, therefore, quite safe. Please let me know if you intend to shoot such a load so I can be in another county when you're on the firing line.

There is NO mathematical formula (which is what a "calculator" or computer program relies on) that will do what you ask. WAY too many variables. I'd type out some of them for you, but I just got called to supper and I figure it would take me 20-45 minutes to make the list, and even then it would be incomplete.

Read the "How To" sections of several reloading manuals, especially the Speer manual, to learn more about these variables.

Regards,

Stew

mooman76
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Lee had a formula in their 2nd edition manual. Of coarse as mentioned it is only an estimate.

imashooter2
12-02-2010, 12:16 AM
The man said powder charge, bullet weight and barrel length.

All of the software mentioned requires far more information than that.

btroj
12-02-2010, 12:25 AM
My chronograph calculates that. After I shoot the load over it.
Other than that, it is really too complex. The software out there requires lots of info and to me is just not worth the work or money to get it.