PDA

View Full Version : .22 takes out brutal killer

dualsport
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
This happened many years ago. It was the result of some kind of love triangle/ man out kills man in deal. It was in the Yolo County area of California. Short version is killer shows up at ex's house, shoots her, shoots new guy, and some kids, IIRC. One young boy retreated to his room and proceeded to load a tube feed Marlin .22, as killer enters the room to shoot him the boy opened up with the Marlin and shot bad guy many times, ending the slaughter and saving himself. The poor kid became an orphan that day. I've often wondered what became of him. Anyway, this just popped into my mind, I was reading some stuff questioning the .38 S&W with 200 gr. bullets being adequate or not. It all depends, doesn't it? I saw a guy at the range who just practiced very rapid fire with his Ruger 10/22, said that was his HD weapon of choice. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that 30 shot hail of bullets in about 2 seconds. To round out my contribution to this rimfire party, and so you will know I'm not just a nut, (but also a competitor)I shot my CZ .22 in a silhouette match last Mon. with Federal bulk box cheap stuff and did very well with it, but no cigars. Just food for thought, but I can't remember the last time I had a rimfire ftf. They must have worked out the QC.

Bret4207
12-01-2010, 08:04 PM
People think they need an elephant gun for chipmunks these days.

Tom R
12-02-2010, 01:59 AM
A guy entered my local gun shop asked to see a 10 22 the guy at the counter showed one to him. The piece of **** pulled out a loaded mag and killed him. But not before he returned fire. I know he shot his partner in the stomach but i don't renumber if it killed him. It was a 10 round mag.

Trifocals
12-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Any caliber firearm in a defensive situation is better than a willow switch, even if it's a lowly .22 short round. I recall an altercation in my local area about 15 or so years ago in which a man was killed with a single shot from a .25 auto. In the American Rifleman magazine "The Armed Citizen" section, one can often read of persons defending themselves with a .22 RF weapon.

condorjohn
12-02-2010, 10:37 PM
No one, unless they're just nuts, wants to get shot. Even with a .22 short...

gnoahhh
12-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Better the .22 in your hand than the .45 in the drawer at home.

9.3X62AL
12-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Getting shot is best avoided. Period.

oneokie
12-04-2010, 07:07 PM
In my local area, in my lifetime, 6 haved been killed with 22's. An estranged spouse and her parents, a liquor store owner who would not sell some liquor on a Sunday, a man in an argument about who his daughter was seeing, another man over who had the rights to a gravel pit.

gon2shoot
12-04-2010, 08:34 PM
I've killed deer and elk with a 22. I'd prefer not to see if I'm tougher.

82nd airborne
12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Ive dispached a squirril or three with a .22 and they are several times tuffer than me.

dubber123
12-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I certainly wouldn't want to stop a .22 with my anatomy, but I do consider it by virtue of it's design to be less reliable than a centerfire. I saw a friend dump the bottom out of a box of Federal bulk pack ammo on some damp grass. He immediately scooped them back into the box. The following weekend, over 50% wouldn't fire. The seal between case and boolit is just too loose. I Had a .22 revolver loaded for a few weeks. The oil in the chambers killed all 6 rounds. If you can be assured they won't be in a humid environment, or contact ANY oil, maybe. I'll take a centerfire anything if given a choice.

Shooter
12-08-2010, 10:02 AM
In 1970 a barmaid in Fl. shot her X 17 times with a 6 shot RG10 in the bar. She emptyed the gun, went in back, got ammo, reloaded twice more.
When I was tranfered a month later, the guy was still alive in the hospital.
FWIW

jonk
12-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Consider this- a 12 gauge with buckshot is often considred the ultimate defensive weapon.

00 buck, one of the more common ones, weighs about 53 gr IIRC, per ball, is .33 caliber, and is launched at around 1350 fps for a high velocity 2 3/4 load. Usually there are around 9 pellets in a shell. That translates into an energy of 214 foot pounds.

OTOH, a .22 40 gr bullet moving at 1300 fps has an energy of 150.

That DOES indeed give the 12 gauge buckshot an advantage, but not a crushing one. Consider that a .45 ACP generates 350 foot pounds of energy. The only advantage the 12 gauge now has is the spray effect and that all projectiles are fired at once- so you do a lot of damage at once; but it is less than a good handgun will do for you... or for that matter a spray of .22 bullets will do similar damage to the much vaunted 00 buckshot.

dubber123
12-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Consider this- a 12 gauge with buckshot is often considred the ultimate defensive weapon.

00 buck, one of the more common ones, weighs about 53 gr IIRC, per ball, is .33 caliber, and is launched at around 1350 fps for a high velocity 2 3/4 load. Usually there are around 9 pellets in a shell. That translates into an energy of 214 foot pounds.

OTOH, a .22 40 gr bullet moving at 1300 fps has an energy of 150.

That DOES indeed give the 12 gauge buckshot an advantage, but not a crushing one. Consider that a .45 ACP generates 350 foot pounds of energy. The only advantage the 12 gauge now has is the spray effect and that all projectiles are fired at once- so you do a lot of damage at once; but it is less than a good handgun will do for you... or for that matter a spray of .22 bullets will do similar damage to the much vaunted 00 buckshot.

I'm guessing you are comparing a single 00 buck ball to the single .22 bullet? If so, then I guess it's a fair comparison. On the other hand, if you should receive all 9 of those buckshot balls at once, (pretty likely at room distances), you will be on the receiving end of 1,927 Ft. Lbs of energy. Thats a sizeable difference. :wink:

Mumblypeg
12-09-2010, 10:49 PM
A .22 short will go through about 8 to 9 inches of muscle in your calf... don't ask me how I know...

starmac
12-09-2010, 11:47 PM
At room didtance 7 1/2 shot from a 12 guage has a big advantage over a 22.

The wad without the lead does considerable damage up close.

Marine Sgt 2111
12-25-2010, 12:41 AM
20 years ago a bad guy held up a gas station with a .357 mag in the local area. As he was leaving the owner pulled out a .22 revolver and shot once. The bad guy took one more step and dropped dead. It seems that the .22 bullet hit the underside of the collar bone, deflected and travelled diagonally through the internal organs, hit the inside of the hip bone, bounced across to the other side of the hip bone and headed back up through the interal organs before it ran out of steam. A friend of mine who was on duty and took the crime scene pictures said that maybe the cops should start carrying .22's (tongue in cheek). Never underestimate that nasty little .22.

trickyasafox
12-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I was seeing a girl last year who wanted to purchase a gun.

I took her to the range a few times, taught her basic safety, and then took her to my favorite gun shop. I didn't give her many suggestions except to point out ones that were in her budget.

She picked a ruger 10/22 and asked if it was good for self defense. I told her the same thing you guys said her: 10 rounds of mini-mags in quick order will make any attacker evaluate their choice of profession.

missionary5155
12-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Greetings
Where I grew up in Riverside Michigan old Mr. Phiffer used to dispatch real big hogs regular with a carefully placed 22 Long. Largest criter I ever ended time with was a very nice Red Fox trotting down the froze over Paw Paw River below Fred Chabots place. About 30 yards out slight angling shot through the chest. Fox ran across the river about 40 yards to sit at the base of a tree before it fell over.

jh45gun
12-28-2010, 09:06 AM
In 1970 a barmaid in Fl. shot her X 17 times with a 6 shot RG10 in the bar. She emptyed the gun, went in back, got ammo, reloaded twice more.
When I was tranfered a month later, the guy was still alive in the hospital.
FWIW

All that means is she was a crummy shot. LOL

unclebill
12-28-2010, 10:39 AM

thats why i have a .45 in my hand...:drinks:

snowwolfe
12-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Any 22 is better than nothing, but there are better choices.

HollowPoint
12-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I once threw a fart that dropped three of my buddies to their knees. (TacoBell)

If a simple fart can do that, imagine what a well placed 22 RF slug will do.

In all fairness all three of them were drunk as skunks anyways; I'm just saying.

HollowPoint

starmac
12-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Sometimes too much information is not a good thing.

Jim
12-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Pete Capstick CLAIMS(key, here!) that he killed an African Elephant with a .22. He then goes on to CLAIM that he proved it to a disbelieving associate by doing it again!

Oh, I love his stories. But, ummm, Pete.............never mind.

A little Googling and found this:
There are two confirmed cases in the colonial era in British East Africa. Capstick refers to both in one of his books (I have it somewhere), and Taylor also confirmed it. In both cases, the bullet hit behind the foreleg, where the tough hide is rubbed thin by friction between leg and body, and penetrated a major artery, so that the elephant bled to death internally. The first case was accidental, and the hunter reported it to a control officer, who couldn't believe it - so the two of them set out to repeat the exploit, and did so, to the demise of a second elephant.

I am in error stating that Capstick did the shooting. My memory fails me. I stand corrected.

man.electric
12-28-2010, 11:56 PM
People think they need an elephant gun for chipmunks these days.

I once believed that RF rifles were fine for small game and varmint until the day I went toe-to-toe with a chipmunk at short range in tall grass. I am not sure which I heard first, the gnashing teeth inside of those chipmunk cheeks of the ferocious roar of death bellowed out by the striped demons lungs but at that moment it was clear that it was him or me. I rapidly fired all six rounds of that .44 mag at the red beast and the three rounds that hit flesh managed to drop the blood thirsty critter right at the steel toe of my left boot without a doubt saving my leg if not my life.

Do not underestimate the enemy in the bush. My hunting rifle for varmint in tall grass is now a .458 Win Mag but I always have that .44 close on my hip in case of a charge.
:kidding:

tonyjones
12-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Several years ago I read an account in African Hunter Magazine. The story was related by a retired Zimbabwe game officer that had previously been employed as a Tanzania game officer. An elephant poaching report came in to the department along with a description of the poacher's truck and where the alledged crime was/had taken place. The game officer finds the truck and poacher and commences his investigation. In the bed of the truck under a tarp are the tusks of 5 elephant. The officer also finds a .22 rimfire rifle built on a Martini action. He continues his search for a more powerful weapon when the poacher confesses to having killed the elephant with the .22. He explained that when the elephant stepped forward with its foreleg he shot between the ribs. The elephant would run until it bled out and them collapse. The arrest was made.
The game officer still had nagging doubts about all this so he secured professional back up and used the poacher's .22 to drop several cull elephant.
A few years ago at the Safari Club International Convention in Reno I asked Zimbabwe Professional Hunter Kevin (Doctari) Robertson about this incident. Kevin told me that he personally knows the game officer involved and swears the whole thing is true.
Who would have thought such a thing possible?
Regards,
Tony

waksupi
12-29-2010, 12:32 AM
I once believed that RF rifles were fine for small game and varmint until the day I went toe-to-toe with a chipmunk at short range in tall grass. I am not sure which I heard first, the gnashing teeth inside of those chipmunk cheeks of the ferocious roar of death bellowed out by the striped demons lungs but at that moment it was clear that it was him or me. I rapidly fired all six rounds of that .44 mag at the red beast and the three rounds that hit flesh managed to drop the blood thirsty critter right at the steel toe of my left boot without a doubt saving my leg if not my life.

Do not underestimate the enemy in the bush. My hunting rifle for varmint in tall grass is now a .458 Win Mag but I always have that .44 close on my hip in case of a charge.

That's terrifying!

Arisaka99
12-29-2010, 04:32 PM
IIRC In Israel they use .22's to break up riots. They target anyone and everyone and shoot them in the groin. While they are on the ground howling in pain the officers haul them away.

RP
12-30-2010, 04:00 AM
Alot of people under estimate the 22. My wife has a 22 because of the low recoil and size makes her more relaxed shooting it. I got here bigger guns but they are no good if she dont like them. I like a WC in a 38 myself.

madsenshooter
12-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I use 22s for squirrels or just plinking. The fellows above might have killed an elephant, but I once shot at a moving groundhog, probably close to 100yds away, the rifle was one one of those little Springfields that you had to cock the bolt on before firing, a single shot. It was very accurate, so I suspected I'd hit the critter. A week or so later I was at the same spot and out came the groundhog dragging his now paralyzed back legs. He was quickly on to me, and I didn't get a shot. I won't use the 22 for any shots like that again. Perhaps if they're close enough or still enough that I can get a head shot, other than that I want something bigger.

Jethro44mag
12-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Makes me wish I had a .50 Barret :holysheep hahah

Eutectic
12-31-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm guessing you are comparing a single 00 buck ball to the single .22 bullet? If so, then I guess it's a fair comparison. On the other hand, if you should receive all 9 of those buckshot balls at once, (pretty likely at room distances), you will be on the receiving end of 1,927 Ft. Lbs of energy. Thats a sizeable difference. :wink:

Not only that..... multiple hits have an 'exponential' effect on the nervous system. Few, if any, will stay on their feet after taking a fist size cluster (all the pellets) of buckshot dead center. Not so with the .22 by the way....

Tazman1602
12-31-2010, 10:32 AM

..............or that she was REALLY ticked off, you know, the woman thing????

trickyasafox
01-02-2011, 11:21 PM
I think the Israeli's stopped using the 22s for riot control because people were dying- I also heard they shot for the leg, not the groin. I would think the concern of arterial hits would make the Israeli military not intentionally shoot the groin, but that is entirely speculation on my part.

no idea how reputable this info is, but here is a little write up on it:
http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

sniper
01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Soooo.. the Israelis are banning use of the little, puny .22 as "too lethal"? Hmmmm...

Years ago, when we were living in Californistan, a couple of Highway Patrol officers pulled a large man over for a minor violation.

IIRC, he jumped out of his truck, Yelled;"I got the blood of Jesus in my veins!", and opened fire on the officers with a shotgun. Maybe he was right, because in the following melee, the officers, who were armed with 357 Magnums, shot the guy about a dozen times, and he lived to stand trial.

Sometimes, NOTHING works!, but a .22 is better than a sharp stick or fists or fingernails in most instances.

DanWalker
01-19-2011, 07:42 PM
I knew some old unapologetic reprobates when I lived in Kentucky who showed me quite a few things they'd been taught by the poachers that raised them. They both agreed that the 22 magnum was superior for poaching deer because a 22lr would only provide reliable instant kills with headshots out to 100 yards. Past that and performance became erratic. They both had killed piles of deer with heart shots and 22LR's at ranges of up to 75 yards.
Anyone who scoffs at the 22LR has a lot of learning to do as far as I'm concerned.
If the SHTF and civilization ends, me and my marlin 22 will still be killing stuff LONG after those super duper AR15's run out of ammo.

Four Fingers of Death
01-22-2011, 05:04 AM

I like her style though, going out and gettingmore ammo to finish the job and reloading twice. Her ex must have really needed shooting.

ubetcha
03-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I recall reading an article in a gun magazine many years ago about the a gun writer out hunting moose with an eskimo.They would sit along a game trail and wait for the moose to walk by.At that time the eskimo would stick the rifle muzzle of 22lr between the ribs by the heart and pull the trigger.The eskimo would then sit back and have a smoke.When done,he would get up and collect his moose.The critter would never know what happened.one silent shot,one silent kill

NickSS
03-14-2011, 06:37 PM
A 22RF is better than nothing for home defence and I certainly have seen some large critters put down with them one being a 400 pound hog a friend of mine butchered one shot and the animal dropped like it was pole axed. But I would not intentionally pick it for my life saver as the chances of it not being enough are too great. Thats why I keep a loaded 12 ga pump in my bed room as I have a lot more respect for both the visual, audible and actual stopping power of it than in most other leagle weapons I can get.

Ernest
03-14-2011, 08:27 PM
After 40 years or so in the medical field in one capacity or the other I have had the misfortune of caring for quite a few people who have been shot with everything from shot guns, center fire rifles and hand guns from 44 mag down through 22 RF. I am not an expert in any way. I've never shot any one or seen any one shot. I do have my totally unscientific bias . This is the summery

If you feel uncomfortable in a place , any place, I don't care how important it is to your wife friends family etc. JUST LEAVE.

2. There is one and only one sure fire way to win a gun fight. Don't be there when it happens
3. getting shot with any thing just SUCKS.

4. If you draw a triangle starting with the tip at the atom's apple and the other two corners just inside the nipples any one that gets shot from the front or back with any thing that will penetrate through the organs and vessels in that area is going to need a LOT or attention very quickly if they are going to live very long. Even then they are in for a long very hard struggle to stay in this life.

5. As regards to .22's , and particularly HP's out of a rifle or long barreled hand gun. Stay away. I have only seen (that I remember) two people not survive being shot. One was a single shot to the belly with a .22 HP. It ripped the Aorta and we just could not stop the bleeding. Seems he was determined to win this argument with his girl friend. Did not work well for him.
The second I don't know what he was shot with but it was a 22 or other small caliber hand gun. I think it was a professional job because he was laced straight up the middle from the upper belly to the base of the throat. I'm of the impression the drugs didn't get cut up just the way they were supposed to.

be safe and do NOT argue with the angry lady even if she only has a 22. :Fire:
[/LIST]

pmeisel
03-16-2011, 08:22 AM
do NOT argue with the angry lady

good post -- worth it just for that quote.

10 ga
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I've killed deer and elk with a 22. I'd prefer not to see if I'm tougher.

If you talk to about any commercial trapper, fisherman or nuisance animal control person the .22 RF is king. If you saw the show "Swamp People" you saw 15' gators killed and hunted with .22 RF. When it's killin time the beef and hogs get 1 .22 RF and then theyre down and ready to hang or scald. Bout the only thing is if it has a thick hide and heavy bone the .22 RF won't get the job done. I use an old Nylon 66 and a Ruger Bearcat on my trapline. They all die with one shot. 10 ga

M-Tecs
03-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I have used a 22LR to kill approximately 36 hogs in the 200 to 400 pound range and 10 or 12 Steers in the 800 to 900 pound range. All for slaughter. All one shot to the brain. I did kill one hamburger/sausage bull that went about 1600 pounds. I was not sure if the 22LR would get the job done so I borrowed a 22 Mag. The 22 Mag worked fine.

The only time the 22 didn’t get the job done on the first shot is when I had to put a horse down after a horse trailer came loose and rolled. I had stopped to help. The horse’s owner was asking for someone to put his horse out of its misery. The horse had 3 broken legs and was thrashing around. All I had was a 22 handgun. It took me three shots before I hit the mark. That was over 25 years ago and I if I think about it I still can see, an older gentleman in a cowboy hat setting in the grass on I-94 sobbing into his hands, just like it was yesterday.

A well placed shot from a 22 nothing to be taken lightly.

Swede44mag
03-16-2011, 04:40 PM
We bought two hogs to process one Christmas break from a local farmer. He put them in a trailer my friend shot the first one after it milled around like a dog chasing its tail. He tapped the barrel on the side of the trailer the hog looked strait at him. He put one shot between the eyes and ears down it went. The second hog froze and looked at him too long. Same shot same results. Dan Wesson 10in 22lr did the job I have heard it would even bought a DVD from ask the meat man on how to process hogs but seeing it up close made a believer out of me.
BTW made the hogs some fine eating.

Don't want to ever get shot or shot at again I had one piece of #6 shot cut out of my arm after a cousin missed a quail and hit me.

M-Tecs
03-16-2011, 10:02 PM
On a side note I am relatively certain that the lowly 22 has killed more animals in the 100 to 1000 pound range than all other cartridges combined. Since the 1880’s to the Mid 1970’s most of the beef and hogs slaughtered in North America where killed with a 22LR. In the Mid 70’s OSHA started pushing 22 long and shorts for commercial slaughterhouses. A friend of mine worked at a St. Paul packing plant in the 70’s. He shot thousands of cattle and hogs for slaughter. He claimed the 22LR and Long were effective. He stated the 22 shorts would knock them down but not kill them like the LR.

“In the United States, around nine billion animals are slaughtered every year[1] (this includes about 150.4 million cattle, bison, sheep, hogs, and goats and 8.9 billion chickens, turkeys, and ducks) in 5,700 slaughterhouses and processing plants employing 527,000 workers;[2] in 2007, 28.1 billion pounds of beef were consumed in the U.S. alone.[3] In Canada, 650 million animals are killed annually.[4] In the European Union, the annual figure is 300 million cattle, sheep, and pigs, and four billion chickens.[5]” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse

From the 1880 to the Mid 1970’s billions of cattle, sheep, hogs and goats were killed with the lowly 22.

Four Fingers of Death
03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
On a stationery, unalarmed animal with a well placed shot from a 22, it is invariably curtains for most critters.

waksupi
03-17-2011, 12:42 AM
By the time I was working in a packing house in the 70's, bolt guns were being used on the kill floor. These were stainless rods mounted in a pistol type contraption, fired with compressed air, the bolt being captive to the gun.

Four Fingers of Death
03-17-2011, 04:08 AM
By the time I was working in a packing house in the 70's, bolt guns were being used on the kill floor. These were stainless rods mounted in a pistol type contraption, fired with compressed air, the bolt being captive to the gun.

My uncle used to use a homemade one. It had a rough pistol grip, a bolt which went through a tube welded to the pistol grip. It stuch out about 1/2" and about four inches on teh other end. a welded thich washer was there to stop it backing out and a light spring around the bolt to hold it back. Placed on the beast's forehead and struck swiftly with a heavy hammer, it floored the beast instantly, my cousin would pull on the winch chain and lift the beast up by the back legs as it was falling and my other cousin ducked in and cut it's throat. Too easy!

x101airborne
03-28-2011, 08:47 AM
my buddies and I shoot ruger m77's scoped and cci stingers. At 100 yards, we make a game as to how many squirrels we can decapitate completely with those lowly 22's. Also kill a cubic butt-load of hogs up to 300 pounds or so with suppressd 22's. 1 rifle, 1 corn feeder, and a 6 pack makes for a good saturday nite. I usually get REAL steady around the third can. The other 3 usually go home with me for when the skinning is done.

Texas trooper Coates (sp and respect for the dead) shot a man on the side of the road during a traffic stop with a 357 mag 125gr. five times out of 6 shots. The fat man on the ground pulled an american derringer 22 revolver (the ones meant for belt buckles) firing one shot hittin Trooper Coates in the arm. The tiny boolit went into the arm, bounced into the arm pit, through the ribs, cut off the top of the heart. Trooper Coates was dead before he could scream for help. I am more afraid of a person with a 22 than a 380 or 9mm. Thats just me. BTW.... The fat man lived to be convicted.

Mustangpalmer1911
03-28-2011, 08:55 AM
My wife is deadly accurate with the Rugar Mark II I got her. She had a Tomcat 380 and could not hit a barn with it. Now She keeps the MKII next to the bed and I would not wanna be on the reciving end of her with it.

Four Fingers of Death
03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
My wife is deadly accurate with the Rugar Mark II I got her. She had a Tomcat 380 and could not hit a barn with it. Now She keeps the MKII next to the bed and I would not wanna be on the reciving end of her with it.

One of those Ruger auto pistols based on the 10/22 might just be the ticket for her.

David LaPell
03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
I remember that the old saying that a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44. That being said I have had a couple interesting things done with .22's over the years. About 4 years ago I got a call from one of the wife's relatives that I had something in my live trap. They had been getting their chicken coop raided and I ended up catching this half breed feral cat that just barely fit into the live trap (raccoon size Havahart). This cat stunk to high heaven and had an attitude to boot. I had my Ruger Single Six loaded with .22 Magnum's. I stuck the barrel about 2 inches from the back of that cat's head and fired a shot which only seemed to irritate it. So I followed that up with the remainder of the cylinder. Six .22 Magnums straight into that cat's skull. I opened the trap up and dumped that cat out. To my surprise, and of the people standing there, that cat attempted to get up and walk away. I finally stepped on its throat and dispatched it that way. There were six holes right in that cat's head where I had hit it all six times. Later I took that cat out where some of the chickens had been dumped after they had been killed. Coyotes and foxes took the chickens, but nothing ever touched that cat. So even though I have carried a .22 pistol before and I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with one, I wouldn't want to try and stop someone who might be juiced up or really drunk with one. I prefer my .38's, .357, and .41 Magnum.

man.electric
03-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Dave, I had a similar problem with a cat in a leg hold trap two years back. The first six rounds from the Buckmark just seemed to piss him off. The next four finished the job though.

Shiloh
03-31-2011, 10:03 AM
No one, unless they're just nuts, wants to get shot. Even with a .22 short...

Correct. They'd HAVE to be nuts.

Definitely!!

Getting shot is best avoided. Period.

An understatement for sure.

A .22 RF would be better than nothing. But when 6'3" 300 lb. "Loser Lenny" comes around late Sunday night looking for money to keep his 3 day drug and alcohol binge stoked, I'd want something with considerably more wallop.

Shiloh

DanWalker
03-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Effects from rounds delivered at justifiable self defense ranges are more influenced by placement than by caliber. Put 2 of ANYTHING into Lenny's head or sternum and he's going down in a pile, RIGHT NOW.

nanuk
08-27-2011, 11:34 AM
if you can lay in wait for a perp to enter a room, such as a bedroom, 10 quick shots to the face will usually stun them enough so You can beat them to death with the butt!

I prefer to have a short barreled 12ga handy, AND a full mag of SSG's. (when I start reloading 12ga, I'll stuff the biggest ones I can get in there. is it 8 35cal balls?)

nanuk
08-27-2011, 11:36 AM
If you talk to about any commercial trapper, fisherman or nuisance animal control person the .22 RF is king. If you saw the show "Swamp People" you saw 15' gators killed and hunted with .22 RF. When it's killin time the beef and hogs get 1 .22 RF and then theyre down and ready to hang or scald. Bout the only thing is if it has a thick hide and heavy bone the .22 RF won't get the job done. I use an old Nylon 66 and a Ruger Bearcat on my trapline. They all die with one shot. 10 ga

+1

the only animal I have seen that appears impervious to a 22RF between the eyes is a billy goat.

a fellow at the Livestock barns took one to the shoulder when it came back at him.

Chicken Thief
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
No mon!
That would be 3 .735" balls ;)

if you can lay in wait for a perp to enter a room, such as a bedroom, 10 quick shots to the face will usually stun them enough so You can beat them to death with the butt!

I prefer to have a short barreled 12ga handy, AND a full mag of SSG's. (when I start reloading 12ga, I'll stuff the biggest ones I can get in there. is it 8 35cal balls?)

lcclower
09-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Where I grew up in Riverside Michigan old Mr. Phiffer used to dispatch real big hogs regular with a carefully placed 22 Long.
I had a great-uncle who waas too cheap to use a .22 short to kill a hog, he'd bust them in the snout with a sledge hammer. That is, until he missed one pig's snout and the pig got him by the foot while he was tyring to get over the fence.
Thereafter he considered .22 shorts a great value, purchased by the each, at the feed store in Francis, Oklahoma. The shoe store did not sell boots by the each and the doctor took a tenderloin for putting a cast on his foot, ankle and lower leg.