PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to give up Hunting

Hickory
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Went out this morning to a different spot in the same woods.
Stood in the same spot untill some hunters showed up outside of the woods.

One of the hunters waved to let me know he saw me, and startrd in the woods.
I turned and watched him pass, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a deer raise-up, not 35 yards away from where I was standing. Before I could react, BANG! BANG!

I must be slippin'. This buck slips up behind me while I standing behind a big oak tree and bedded down.

I walked up to the hunter and deer and the guy says "How come you didn't see that deer? You must have slipped in here when it was asleep."
Well maybe I did, but I don't think that was the case.
I think it slipped in when "I" was asleep. :groner:

Sensai
12-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I know how you feel. I'd give up hunting, except that I'd look funny standing out in the woods without a gun. I'm sure not going to give up being out there!:bigsmyl2:

2shot
12-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Don't feel bad Hickory. I hunted Illinois first shotgun season for deer at ARCSP in northern IL. There is a sign in/sign out box there and a limited number of hunters are allowed to hunt and are picked by lottery. Taped on the sign in/sign out box after legal shooting time ended Saturday was a note that read "SHOTGUN LOST IF FOUND PLEASE CALL 630-XXX-XXXX". You may feel bad not seeing that deer but how in the world do you misplace the shotgun your hunting deer with???????????????????? And how bad would that suck????????????????????

2shot

ZombieHitman
12-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Hmmmmm.....
You can't fix stupid....!

akajun
12-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Don't feel bad Hickory. I hunted Illinois first shotgun season for deer at ARCSP in northern IL. There is a sign in/sign out box there and a limited number of hunters are allowed to hunt and are picked by lottery. Taped on the sign in/sign out box after legal shooting time ended Saturday was a note that read "SHOTGUN LOST IF FOUND PLEASE CALL 630-XXX-XXXX". You may feel bad not seeing that deer but how in the world do you misplace the shotgun your hunting deer with???????????????????? And how bad would that suck????????????????????

2shot
Maybe it fell off the back of the truck? Seen that happen a few times on public land.

fishhawk
12-01-2010, 05:34 PM
have heard of more than one buck coming back to life and running off with the gun in the antlers when a picture was being taken! steve k

starmac
12-02-2010, 12:33 AM
I guess I will tell on myself here. When I was 13 I paid 25 bucks for a stevens single shot 12 guage with a 36 inch barrel. I was about 15 when I got ready to head for the woods and my gun wasn't in the closet, This made ne sense until I started thinking about the last squirrel I had shot a few days before. It was not completly dead so I couldn't pick it up with one hand and leaned my gun against a big oak tree. It was right where I had left it three days before. lol

home in oz
12-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Did I miss something here?

-You were on stand in woods.

-Other hunters saw you, then walked right into the area you were watching?

-And then shot a deer close to you, in the area you were watching?

Not very sportsmanlike to my mind.

reloader28
12-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Fishhawk, that happened to my Grandpa once. Hes got a picture of a darn nice buck they shot. The deer even has a wild look in his eyes. After the picture was snapped, up he jumped with the gun in his rack and took off like a rocket!

They did find the gun a couple hundred yds away, but never seen the deer again.

2shot
12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Maybe it fell off the back of the truck? Seen that happen a few times on public land.

I wouldn't think so, in IL. you have to unload guns and they have to be in a carrying case before being put into a vehicle but I guess anything is possible. We also have to park in designated parking lots and the area hunted was about 500 acres with about 1/2 tillable. The parking lots are all within 1/4 mile of each other. I would think it would be easy to back track ones steps and find the gun but hey, I wouldn't walk away from my gun in the first place and if I lost it on the road I would be walking the road until I found it. There was no snow and the road is gravel with the grass shoulders cut short. Maybe it was the guy that was about 150 yards from me and took 16 (that's right 16) shots at a deer within a 2 minute period and when his buddy yelled to him "did you get anythig?" the answer was "No I missed". That's 5 reloads assuming that you started out with 3 in the gun (IL. limits shotgun deer to max 3 round capacity). Maybe this guy after missing threw his gun in the woods and couldn't find it????????

Strang this happen but I never heard of someone loosing their gun while hunting. It would sound better if the area was thousands of acres open to the public but it's rather comical seeing as to how small the hunt area is.

2shot

BoolitBill
12-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I think it slipped in when "I" was asleep. :groner:[/QUOTE]

At least you don't snore when you are sleeping in the stand like I do!

hoosierlogger
12-03-2010, 06:27 AM

2shot

[smilie=s:
Two years ago I ran over my TC Omega with my truck. I leaned it against the fender flare while I was getting the key to unlock the truck. Then a buddy showed up and I was talking with him for a bit while getting out of my coveralls. I told him I was going into town for a sandwich and I would be back in about an hour. I got in started the truck backed out into the road and looked down at the passenger seat. My gun case was missing, turned around and it was on the toolbox. Got a quick disgusted feeling when I realized what happened. I got out and walked to the other side of the truck and there it was smooshed down in the mud with a tire track right across the scope. It fell off when I backed up and I couldnt see it in my mirror.

It took me more than an hour to get back that day. I went to town bought a new scope, went home cleaned it, installed new scope, and sighted it in. Took me 4 hours to get it all done. I shot a beauty of a 10 pointer with it that evening.

I felt like a real high class DA. But at least I didnt hurt the gun any.

white eagle
12-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Did I miss something here?

-You were on stand in woods.

-Other hunters saw you, then walked right into the area you were watching?

-And then shot a deer close to you, in the area you were watching?

Not very sportsmanlike to my mind.

not only that but sounds as though they were shooting at you or in your direction :Fire:

starmac
12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
LOL are there as many deer on that 500 acres as people,

2shot
12-05-2010, 07:18 PM
LOL are there as many deer on that 500 acres as people,

Yep, limit is 20 hunters and IL is overrun with deer. The big problem is it's hard to get on privite land so the heard keeps growing. The SP is over 1000 acres but over 1/2 is tillable

2wheelDuke
12-05-2010, 08:03 PM

2shot

I worked at Outdoor World when I was in school. One day a guy came in to but one of the nice fancy camo print guns. Less than a month later he came in to buy another. He set the gun down when he went to take a leak and could never find it again. I guess that camo really worked [smilie=l:

Jim
12-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Last time I had a huntin' license was '93. Don't care a thing about it no more.

outdoorfan
12-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Last time I had a huntin' license was '93. Don't care a thing about it no more.

Attaboy!

EMC45
12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I already have.....I will bust some squirrels though.

stillkickn
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Not sure wich story I should tell, the one when I woke to see a deer leaving or the one where I backed the car over my gun? Oh well, both are embarrasing so I won't tell either ;) BTW the gun and deer both came out unscathed...

starmac
12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
There are rewards posted here this morning from a guy that lost his rifle between two points on the steese. He doesn't tell the story, but sounds as he left it on the back of the pickup, or something of that nature.

Freightman
12-10-2010, 08:12 PM
A man came into the shop where I was working with a very expensive over and under SG and ask what to do with it? We said shoot it I guess! well the story was he found it in the middle of the highway coming to town. He put an add in the paper and a notice in all the gun shops and the last I heard no one had calmed it and that was after six months.