PDA

View Full Version : lube blowback

dbotos
10-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Anybody ever get this? I'm getting some lube blown back on the breechface of the slide and breech end of the barrel. Here is the gun/load/lube data:

Glock G19C (9mm) with solid Storm Lake barrel, 1 in 16" twist, slugged at 0.355"
(barrel has conventional rifling)
Lyman 356637 - 147 grain flat nose bevel base, sized to 0.356"
3.9-4.2 grains 800x
1.150-1.160" OAL
Winchester small pistol primers
light crimp with Lee FCD
879 fps, avg
60/40 beeswax/crisco lube with powdered graphite

Dale53
10-13-2006, 12:18 AM
I don't think that is of any concern. Every time you fire that pistol, gas blows out thru the back end of the barrel upon ejection. This gas carries lube with it. It is a fact of life. I clean my .45 acp 1911 every three hundred rounds whether it needs it or not (it does:mrgreen: ).

Dale53

454PB
10-13-2006, 12:21 AM
What Dale53 said, plus the fact that a little lube is on the ejected case mouth.

dbotos
10-13-2006, 05:00 PM
I was just wondering if it's a bad thing (I've heard keeping the breechface clean is important) and if there's any variables about my gun/load/lube that makes it do it more or less. I'll have to snap some pics of it next time I shoot and see if you guys think it's excessive.

9.3X62AL
10-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Autopistols shooting cast lead "shoot dirty". That is certainly not limited to Glocks! You don't mention if functioning is affected--is it? I suspect your concerns surround the issue of grit tying up the firing pin--not allowing it to "retract"--and causing an "out of battery" discharge. News item--factory loads with j-words can potentially cause that, too--but in either instance, the likelihood is pretty remote.

Be careful about the "urban legends" out there regarding Glocks and reloaded/cast boolit ammo. The aftermarket barrel addresses 99.9% of the "issues" that exist. To my knowledge, factory reps have not to date acknowledged a cause for the kB problem--which were overwhelmingly in 40 caliber pistols.

I clean my self-loading pistols when they 1) get too gross for me to stand looking at or 2) at the end of a shooting day. Pistols are made to be enjoyed--not endured and worried about.

BruceB
10-14-2006, 10:53 AM
I'll also add my pennies on the boolit-lube factor in autoloaders.

Our pair of Model 52-1 S&Ws (.38 Special) are boringly reliable until they reach about 300 rounds, starting from a squeaky-clean condition. After that, the accumulating crud slows the functioning down until they start malfunctioning. These are tightly-fitted target pistols, and our service-type guns do much better than this.

It helped a lot when I discovered that modern boolit lubes only require lube in ONE lube groove of the three available. My bullet for the M52s is the double-ended 35863 wadcutter, but for appearance's sake and for keeping the lube weight in a consistent location, I load them with the non-sprue end exposed and the rear-most groove full of lube.

I ALWAYS commenced a match with a clean gun and a barrel fouled by firing five rounds to "condition" the bore...mostly just to ensure that it was clear of any stray oil or solvent. Bullseye shooters have a saying: "He who shooteth a dirty gun deserveth his alibi." An alibi is a second chance at shooting a string due to malfunction...with the entire firing line watching while one shooter tries it again. Not good for the nerves, or the performance!

If I do any shooting at all with a "CCW gun", it is cleaned carefully before the sun sets.

dbotos
10-14-2006, 02:56 PM
You don't mention if functioning is affected--is it?

Seemed to work fine for the 30 rounds I chrono'ed.

I suspect your concerns surround the issue of grit tying up the firing pin--not allowing it to "retract"--and causing an "out of battery" discharge.

Lube in the firing pin hole is one worry (I'll have to look at it again next time I shoot and see if the area of the breechface under the head of the brass is clean). The other is enough lube building up that the slide wouldn't close completely and lead to an out-of-battery discharge.

Pistols are made to be enjoyed--not endured and worried about.

Agreed - no safe queens in my house. :drinks:

dbotos
10-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Our pair of Model 52-1 S&Ws (.38 Special) are boringly reliable until they reach about 300 rounds, starting from a squeaky-clean condition. After that, the accumulating crud slows the functioning down until they start malfunctioning. These are tightly-fitted target pistols, and our service-type guns do much better than this.

Sounds like I shouldn't worry too much with the Glock, then.

I ALWAYS commenced a match with a clean gun and a barrel fouled by firing five rounds to "condition" the bore...mostly just to ensure that it was clear of any stray oil or solvent. Bullseye shooters have a saying: "He who shooteth a dirty gun deserveth his alibi." An alibi is a second chance at shooting a string due to malfunction...with the entire firing line watching while one shooter tries it again. Not good for the nerves, or the performance!

I like to run a dry patch through mine before shooting to remove any carry dust/lint.

If I do any shooting at all with a "CCW gun", it is cleaned carefully before the sun sets.

My 19 is my primary carry piece, so I like to clean it right there at the range once I'm done shooting. That way, I don't have to worry about remembering to do it later and a warm barrel seems to clean up a little easier.

flinchnjerk
10-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Perhaps I'm cursed with a over-active imagination, or I enjoy worrying about nothing......
I shoot Lee Liquid Earwax lubed boolits in my 1911's ( a choice dictated by economics); I've found that after about 250 rounds there's enough lube hard-baked onto the top of the frame bridge that I become concerned about it interfering with full barrel link-down. Again, perhaps a foolish concern, but if the slide/barrel clearance at link-down is mimimal to begin with, and one considers the results of barrel link-down stopping while the slide and upper barrel lugs are still in contact....I don't fire over 250 rounds before jackhammering or taking the chipping hammer to the crud.

dbotos
10-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Perhaps I'm cursed with a over-active imagination, or I enjoy worrying about nothing......
I shoot Lee Liquid Earwax lubed boolits in my 1911's ( a choice dictated by economics); I've found that after about 250 rounds there's enough lube hard-baked onto the top of the frame bridge that I become concerned about it interfering with full barrel link-down. Again, perhaps a foolish concern, but if the slide/barrel clearance at link-down is mimimal to begin with, and one considers the results of barrel link-down stopping while the slide and upper barrel lugs are still in contact....I don't fire over 250 rounds before jackhammering or taking the chipping hammer to the crud.

Seems like a bad lube property if it "bakes on". One would hope that heated lube would just decrease in viscosity and move out of the way. The best advice I can give short of trying other lubes is to just clean it frequently like you said.